Skip to content

The CHARNAME Appreciation Thread!

Hey everyone! So, here's the deal: We've got a bunch of insanely talented and creative people on these forums, many of whom have made some super great characters! We appreciate the heckie out of all the canon NPCs, and that's great, but I think it's time for us all to show each other's CHARNAMES some love!

The purpose of this thread is twofold:

1. To draw and/or describe your own CHARNAME. Please introduce them to us! This thread is kind of meant to be focused on Baldur's Gate, but if you want to show us members of your Icewind Dale party, or your Neverwinter Nights mainchar, that's cool too!

2. To spread the love and appreciation of other people's CHARNAMES. Please, please use this thread to draw fanart of other people's characters, or to say nice things about them, that sort of thing! Let's give all these excellent characters the love they deserve!

---------

I'll start us off, and, in order to encourage both functions of this thread, I'm gonna do both - show you my own CHARNAME, and show some love to someone else's~!

This is Eibhilin "Linn" Rhett. As you may have guessed from the fact I used her name as my username, she's the CHARNAME for my main BG playthrough. She's a Neutral Good skald what carries a big warhammer around and has a huuuuuge crush on Rasaad. She wants to write an epic about all this Iron Throne business once it's over, but she probably does not have the attention span for it. If you want to read more about her, I've been slowly posting the journal accompanying her playthrough here in fan creations in another thread.

That's all for Linn, let's appreciate someone else's character now.

I drew @Buttercheese 's svirfneblin druid Orla, because she is hecking adorable and I really like that one comic Buttercheese did where Edwin gives her a pat on the head. Look at her she is just so cute.

----------

Okay. Now, I'm gonna pass the torch to y'all. Also, a note, if you introduce your CHARNAME in this thread, I will try to draw fanart of them. All of them.

Let's appreciate some CHARNAMES. Yeahhhh!
tbone1ThacoBell[Deleted User]RavenslightAerakarButtercheeselolienZaghoulNonnahswriterBelgarathMTHProontRik_KirtaniyaIsewein

Comments

• LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    edited November 2017
    @ThacoBell holy crud that is adorable and i need to try drawing him. what does his hair look like (if he has any)?
    ThacoBellRavenslight
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @LadyEibhilinRhett Short slightly curly hair with a small beard.
    Ravenslightlolien
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    edited November 2017
    She turned out so cute, thank you so much @LadyEibhilinRhett :'O
    Also, here's the comic she's refering to.

I am currently too busy with moving to and renovating my new flat, so I don't have much time for drawing,
    but I will contribute to this thread as soon as I can manage!
    ThacoBelllolienLadyEibhilinRhettProont
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I had to bookmark this thread. Looks promising. I dunno though, when I'll draw any of CHARNAMEs, mine or others. I can somehow produce art, but I'm not very confident at actually designing characters, and I would like to do some awesome CHARNAMEs justice.
    ThacoBellProont
    @O_Bruce I really enjoyed you're contribution to the recent fanart thread. If you have the time, don't be nervous about contributing, you do really good work.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    @ThacoBell
    Thanks, but don't misunderstand. The issue is with me having troubles with coming up with original, interesting designs. Quality of drawing is not issue, the character project is.
    ThacoBell
    @LadyEibhilinRhett That is great! I love it!
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    He looks like he gives GREAT hugs :heart:
    ThacoBellO_Bruce
    I am really excited to see where this thread goes. There are a lot of interesting charnames thought up by the forumites, and seeing potential fan art of them is super cool. I still can barely believe someone thought my charname was interesting enough to want to draw.
    Gah I hate seeing this thread sit unvisited. I just finished a runthrough that I'm very pleased with how I ended up roleplaying it so I'll share it here.
    This was my first trilogy run with a female charname. I'd started a couple in the past, but never made it past BG1. Her name was Furi, a halfling bard. She was supremely confident, to the point of being cocky and arrogant in her own abilities. She believed herself invincible, and had the wits and skill to back her attitude up. She had a very strong sense of empathy for those in a bad place with no way to help themsleves, but could be rude and bluntly confrontational to anyone who talked down to her or anyone else. She was a secondary melee fighter when not spellcasting, with a long sword and small shield (I picture a fighting style like Cassandra from Soul Calibur). She ended up in a romance with Yoshimo in SoA, and his betrayal and death was devastating. After being forced to kill him, she picked up his blade and wielded it with abandon against her enemies. If it wasn't for Imoen's support, and a chance meeting with a family member of Yoshimo's, she probably would have lost herself to the rage and ascended as the new Queen of Murder.
    ZaghoulO_BruceAerakarProont
    I want to mention one of @Zaghoul 's charnames. Unfortunately, he recorded his run on the activity page and I can't seem to find it again. I cannot recall his character's name, but he was an Ogre Wizard Slayer. He grew up with a distrust of mages after overhearing some in Candlekeep discussing using his hands to make some magical gauntlets. Despite his dislike of arcane magic, he was fond of bards and enjoyed Garricks company. There may or may not be an alternate continuity where, due to his single digit DEX, he fell down the steps of Candlekeep and manged to squash Imoen on the way down.
    GusindaZaghoulAerakarProont
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Hmm, oh, that was Horshak. I think he was one on my wall and disappeared before I made the thread for all my characters now. Garrick and he traveled a bit. Heh, all my ogres have only an 8 dex so could have easily squashed Imoen from tripping on a piece of gravel even. I think we had that on the thread about how CHARNAMES die straight outa CK. :)
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/65889/gorions-ward-is-dead-where-did-he-die/p2

Now Kamog the Spirit Walker I did record and he definitely took it out on arcane users for the gauntlets and arrows of ogre slaying, after Eldoth pointed them out. They don't mind bards so much as they are more music and less magic when I play em. Plus, with 8 max int. none can read so bards are welcome storytellers.
    Now Voltog the ogre Storm Caller is running. I'll get a little write up going for this thread, as it is like you say, a good idea. I've got a feeling he'll take a dislike to the arcane as well. Nasty ol mages trying to skin my hands and all.
    Kobolds and ogres more as of late. Gotta rep the humanoids ya know. ;)
    ThacoBellGusindaAerakarProont
  • GelledornGelledorn Member Posts: 31
    Heh. Mine is currently a werewarrior. Obviously from a modded custom kit.
    Insert fluffy werewarrior that eats human flesh here :)
    ThacoBellGusinda
    Bumping this thread hoping for more charname stories, even if the artists don't seem to be around lately.

Maybe @Arvia @BelgarathMTH @ZaramMaldovar or @Rik_Kirtaniya would like to share a favorite charname?