Skip to content

Is it laggy in combat for others?

DrGermDrGerm Member Posts: 29
I'm just kinda wondering if it's just me. Game lags really bad with any combat at all.

Playing the Head Start version in. Just through the prologue so far and into the jailbreak district.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. Intel i7-6700K. 64 GB RAM.
Running 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz. Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 ti, I updated to driver 388.31 (latest)
I have three monitors; I've tried with disabling 2 of them.
I tried running with all graphics settings (in game) turned low, or off.
I Turned off all nonessential background applications.

Thanks!

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Please, follow the same steps as explained by @Shaiden here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/923703/#Comment_923703
  • ShaidenShaiden Member Posts: 181
    If those steps don't work, I'd suggest filing a bug in our redmine, and including a dxdiag. You would definitely seem above the minspec requirements, but it's always good to be sure there isn't something weird that may have been missed.

In addition, are you
    A) In a multiplayer session
    B) Running any additional mods
    C) Running any additional high-impact programs?
  • MordaedilMordaedil Member Posts: 56
    I want to mention an oddity I found in old NWN, that might reoccur in this game. I got incredible stuttering framerate if I used the wrong audio setting, so try changing that and see if that fixes your issue.
  • DrGermDrGerm Member Posts: 29
    Mordaedil said:

I want to mention an oddity I found in old NWN, that might reoccur in this game. I got incredible stuttering framerate if I used the wrong audio setting, so try changing that and see if that fixes your issue.

You, sir, are a genius.

I changed to Dolby Surround, and it completely fixed my problem.

Thanks!
  • MordaedilMordaedil Member Posts: 56
    Glad to help somebody who had the same issue I had. It made NWN almost unplayable for me until I discovered it.
  • DrGermDrGerm Member Posts: 29
    Did some more experimenting, apparently I had chosen the only one to give me problems!

These settings, I didn't have lag problems. Tried with both 2 speaker or 5.1 speaker where available:
    • Direct Sound3D 7+ Software - Pan and Volume
    • Direct Sound3D Software Emulation
    • Dolby Surround
    • Miles Fast 2D Positional Audio
    This is the one that was giving me problem:
    • RAD Game Tools RSX 3D Audio
    Maybe it's a false memory, but for some reason I think I recall this problem in original NWN now that someone brought it up...
    Hope that helps!
  • ProphetSwordProphetSword Member Posts: 43
    DrGerm said:

Maybe it's a false memory, but for some reason I think I recall this problem in original NWN now that someone brought it up...
    Hope that helps!

It's not a false memory. I have helped many people over the years with a similar problem. The way we told people to fix it is to set their sound to Miles Fast 2D Positional Audio, which always seemed to eradicate the issue.

Not sure why it happens, but it has been an issue for some people (including me) since original release.