Skip to content

NWN1 vs NWN2 UI interface

Comments

• HulmurgHulmurg Member Posts: 2
    I would really like the quickcast feature to be implemented in NWN:EE if it's possible. It's a far better way of quickly accessing spells. Otherwise I prefer NWN's original UI, save perhaps the ability to move parts of it around.
    RandomPersonHunterRayder93
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    edited November 2017
    Nwn2’s interface was easier. That being said, interfaces are the most expensive things (where I come from) to program.
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    Quick cast would be a great improvement. The way it handles metamagic is very efficient.
  • PlasmaJohnPlasmaJohn Member Posts: 31
    Is the argument purely on a cosmetic basis or was there a functional difference? (Other than inventory Tetris which really should die in agony). If the objections are purely over layout, theme, and fonts there should be no reason in the world why a user customizable UI can't look and in many cases work the same.
  • BaratanBaratan Member Posts: 10
    I hate everything about the NWN2 UI. Customizable or not. You can't customize the NWN2 UI to function like the NWN UI.
  • FutabotFutabot Member Posts: 12
    Inventory Tetris should stay. It's part of the feel of the game and helps give items a sense of scale. At worst, we should be able to customize items of any time to fit in a square if people wish.

I think the radial menu is fine still. The game moves at a pace that allows you to dig through a lot of spells without really mucking up rotation. Probably do need a metamagic quickcast though.

We definitely need a solution to appearance dolls like a preview or some sort of color grid that can show up in-game. I am very much over literally digging through hundreds of body parts and colors one step at a time.
  • AncarionAncarion Member Posts: 155
    With inventory Tetris, I feel more like I can open my bags and see the actual things I'm carrying. Without it, everything is just a homogeneous sea of little icons.

I do like the moddability of nwn2's system, and I would prefer to have more quickslots, but otherwise I'm not a big fan of nwn2's aesthetics
    Artona
    Ancarion said:

With inventory Tetris, I feel more like I can open my bags and see the actual things I'm carrying. Without it, everything is just a homogeneous sea of little icons.

Agreed, the tetris does have merit. "Where did I put that thing.. ah here it is" - just like a real bag. And it's cool to see big icons for big stuff and small icons for small stuff.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Of course, with a real bag, you can turn an item sideways to make it fit.
    scriver said:

Of course, with a real bag, you can turn an item sideways to make it fit.

That would clearly cross over to tedium in a game where inventory serves a purpose rather than being the game itself.
    Really? I think it would lessen tedium to just be able to switch a 6x2 sized item into a 2x6 one instead of having to rearrange several pages to make it fit.
    Kenji
    edited November 2017
    scriver said:

Really? I think it would lessen tedium to just be able to switch a 6x2 sized item into a 2x6 one instead of having to rearrange several pages to make it fit.

You have six pages of inventory slots + bags! Drop or sell stuff if its full.
    Yeah, and it would be great if I easier could fit the 6x2 armour I'm going to sell into the "stuff to sell" by being able to turn it sideways rather than have to cram it into the "potions and misc useables" page. Do you not like organise the inventory at all? Just stuff every thing in there in the order you pick it up? That's just awful, man. Keeping your backpack neat is the #1 rule of adventuring!

(The second rule is Always Talk About Adventuring)
    My inventories are kept organized because I'm not a hoarder. All important items are in their proper place and there's always room for more.
    fkirenicusKenji
  • JimbobslimbobJimbobslimbob Member Posts: 206
    Could we have an "autosort" button? Most games with inventories have them these days (even NWN 2 did after a few patches). You can keep the "Inventory Tetris" and still allow users to do quick sorts on the go then. Helpful when you are on a long dungeon crawl with lots of loot.
    Kenji
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    edited November 2017

Could we have an "autosort" button? Most games with inventories have them these days (even NWN 2 did after a few patches). You can keep the "Inventory Tetris" and still allow users to do quick sorts on the go then. Helpful when you are on a long dungeon crawl with lots of loot.

Sortng, by how? Height? Width? Area? Weight? Alphabetical? Value? Color? Ooh, yeah, sorting by the roygbiv() method! I actually used that on a paper I wrote in grade school. Well, temperatutre of chromosphere, but same thing. Another method was sorting by stellar spectral type, which we called annieJumpCannon().

tbone1 said:

Sortng, by how? Height? Width? Area? Weight? Alphabetical? Value? Color? Ooh, yeah, sorting by the roygbiv() method! I actually used that on a paper I wrote in grade school. Well, temperatutre of chromosphere, but same thing. Another method was sorting by stellar spectral type, which we called annieJumpCannon().

Or... more sensibly... type and alphabetical.
  • MordaedilMordaedil Member Posts: 56
    That's gonna make a lot of problems considering every item is of a different size and there's going to be gaps.
  • PaddyMaxsonPaddyMaxson Member Posts: 28
    Honestly, neither is good, but NWN2 allowed UI mods, so I'd rather have that.

NWN2 also had the quick cast menu where you had a set of smaller clickable icons with all your spells, that was separate from the hotbars and the option to stretch the bottom hotbar to fill the whole horizontal resolution. That was more than enough.
    It was however, ugly as Sin and lacked basic functionality (especially when it was first released, remember not having weapon sets?!)

Personally I think the whole NWN UI should be binned and rebuilt from scratch if it's possible for EE, or made highly moddable, but I'd prefer an improved vanilla UI before modding is an option

HunterRayder93
    edited November 2017
    Mordaedil said:

That's gonna make a lot of problems considering every item is of a different size and there's going to be gaps.

That's the whole point of auto-sort. I've seen it done before, it's not rocket science. I don't see how it would cause problems, the auto sort would fill gaps - that would be one of the main reasons for using it!
  • PaddyMaxsonPaddyMaxson Member Posts: 28

Mordaedil said:

That's the whole point of auto-sort. I've seen it done before, it's not rocket science. I don't see how it would cause problems, the auto sort would fill gaps - that would be one of the main reasons for using it!

Indeed, did Diablo 3 not have auto sort (did I imagine it?)

The main problem wouldn't be a system that can figure that out, the main problem is that moving inventory items in NWN seems to be a discrete action, so an autosort would be sending a flood of commands. That's probably your real issue. On PWs it would be very laggy.
    Jimbobslimbob
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    edited December 2017

it's not rocket science.

Can confirm. :p

Jimbobslimbob
    Some of you guys want NWN2 and that's fine. NWN2 is still available. :)
  • HunterRayder93HunterRayder93 Member Posts: 266
    Baratan said:

I hate everything about the NWN2 UI. Customizable or not. You can't customize the NWN2 UI to function like the NWN UI.

But this curiosity about this NWN2 and tied to his gameplay? because if so, not all NWN2 features are horrendous, NWN2 has brought some improvements if you can not accept it because you are too used to a more up-to-date interface (this happens when you play too much for a game for 15-16 years without never try alternatives).
    Ancarion said:

I do like the moddability of nwn2's system, and I would prefer to have more quickslots, but otherwise I'm not a big fan of nwn2's aesthetics

Then I would like to clarify the debate, the purpose of the post was not to compare the aesthetics of NWN vs. NWN2, but to compare the "Functionality" and "caracteristics" between the two games, making it clear that both NWN and NWN2 have different characteristics distinguishes them, comparing them, and the aim was to get the best features between the 2 games and try to insert into NWN: EE, migrating or changing them.

Honestly, neither is good, but NWN2 allowed UI mods, so I'd rather have that.

NWN2 also had the quick cast menu where you had a set of smaller clickable icons with all your spells, that was separate from the hotbars and the option to stretch the bottom hotbar to fill the whole horizontal resolution. That was more than enough.
    It was however, ugly as Sin and lacked basic functionality (especially when it was first released, remember not having weapon sets?!)

Personally I think the whole NWN UI should be binned and rebuilt from scratch if it's possible for EE, or made highly moddable, but I'd prefer an improved vanilla UI before modding is an option

here is for example @PaddyMaxson he centered the point of the thread of speaking by talking about NWN2's quick slot spell that "would be nice" if you could add it to NWN: EE...For me and the brilliant example of what I had to expect from most of the comments, many are like her but others instead ...
    tbone1 said:

for example the comment of @tbone1 I did not understand it was related to another person but .... I did not understand it.
    Hulmurg said:

I would really like the quickcast feature to be implemented in NWN:EE if it's possible. It's a far better way of quickly accessing spells. Otherwise I prefer NWN's original UI, save perhaps the ability to move parts of it around.

But there is one thing that is at this moment in this discussion and it is the quick spell of the spells, and it is clear that many of us agree and I can confirm it, on many fronts I believe this would improve the quality of life for all those classes that use several spells.

• TrinitalTrinital Member Posts: 59
    edited December 2017
    Baratan said:

Thanks for your "valuable" opinion.
    Most blind hate for NWN2 comes out of ignorance like this.

As for the limitations of what NWN2 UI can and can't do. Let me present something for those who think they know what NWN2 is capable of. (But actually have no idea what they are talking about)

Welcome to NWN2 Customizable UI:
    (TL:DR, NWN2 UI can be made to function like anything you want, nobody wanted NWN1 Radial Menus)

PlasmaJohnHunterRayder93saramakos
    edited December 2017
    That's great. I'm glad that NWN 2 has that, I'm also glad that it's a separate game.

TLDR: NWN2 UI can't be made to look or function like NWN.
    Fardragon
  • TrinitalTrinital Member Posts: 59
    edited December 2017
    Baratan said:

TLDR: NWN2 UI can't be made to look or function like NWN.

This post is so bad, I have to believe you're trolling - So this is my last reply to you and I'll try to be as polite as I can, but you have contributed absolutely zero to this conversation and you have zero idea what you're talking about.

HunterRayder93
  • MadHatterMadHatter Member Posts: 145

Baratan the whole point is that the NWN2 UI is so moddable you can create a version of Guitar Hero. The implication being if you can do that you can do NWN as well.

You just don't understand! No one on earth could ever recreate the NWN GUI using mere XML and puny image files. Heretics! :wink:
    cherryzeroTrinitalHunterRayder93PlasmaJohn