Skip to content

Trying to remember a PC fantasy RPG from my youth...

SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

I'm trying to remember the name of a fantasy RPG that I played on school computers back in the 90s. From what I can vaguely recall, the game followed typical conventions of D&D/M&M-style RPGs with five- or six-member parties, roll-able stats, and character classes. I'm fairly certain that the game used a first-person viewpoint much like in M&M. Two things seem to stand out in my mind:

-When you had chosen each party member's action for a particular combat round, the results of all the actions would scroll across the screen in a list format. For example:

"Character A jumps into the shadows... but is discovered." (This language stands out to me because I would always direct my thief to jump into the shadows, since I had no clue what to do with a thief back then.)

"Character B attacks and does X points of damage."

...etc.

-The game did not use avatars in the typical sense, but each character would be assigned default portraits based upon their classes that were viewable only in particular screens. For example, every female warrior was assigned a Xena-looking portrait with dark hair and black leathery armor, and every female spellcaster was assigned a mage-like portrait with long gray hair.

Sorry that I don't have more detailed information to give, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    From the 90's ? That's a hard one ... it reminds me of Pool of radiance (2002 version) but I can't recall many pc games from the 90's...
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    Eye of the Beholder?
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    Wizardry comes to mind other than what's mentioned
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Strahd's Possession?
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited November 2017
    It sounds like it could be the Bard's Tale series. While the original game didn't have female characters, Bard's Tale III did add them.

Do these look familiar?

• TawmisTawmis Member Posts: 120
    I think Wizardry might be it?
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

Sorry for the belated response folks, but I happened to find out that Bard's Tale 3 was the game I was thinking of, and I managed to snatch it up just before the sale on GOG ended (it comes as part of a package with the BT remake).

Thanks to everyone here who took the time to respond.

It sounds like it could be the Bard's Tale series. While the original game didn't have female characters, Bard's Tale III did add them.

Do these look familiar?

Yep - the top one is exactly the "Xena-like" portrait I was trying to describe.

Where is the bottom one from, though? - is that from a different version of the game?