Skip to content

Hullo, how do I use EE Keeper on my android phone?

Heey, my question is pretty much in the title.. I've just bought bgee for my android and I'm loving it! But I'm sure I can use EE Keeper for it, I'm just not sure how..

I've downloaded EE Keeper on this phone, but it's asking me what program/app I want to open it in - I have no idea =S

Or have I got the wrong idea, do I need to use the EE Keeper on my PC to somehow edit my android files? If so, what's the best way to move files across and back from my phone to PC? I've just been using email/dropbox the few times I've had to move a photo or something..

I'm fairly computer literate, but this is the first smartphone I've owned and it's pretty new so I'm still getting my head around it - so any more in depth replies would be much appreciated =)

Thank you,

Uncumber

P.s. I have tried googling this but couldn't find anything, so apologies if this has already been covered a hundred times!

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    If you have the computer version of the game, you can drop the saved game in Documents/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition/save and then open it with EEKeeper.
  • ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    Go to /Android/OBB/com.beamdog.blahblah

Copy the OBB file to your computer

Open it with some unzip program (WinRAR works), unload everything into a directory. Open EE Keeper, select that directory as the BG I Resource.

For saved games, go to Android/Data/com.beamdog.blahblah, copy the individual save folders to a directory. Open EE Keeper, when selecting saved games select custom folder then point to that directory where the save folders are.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Yea, you can't run it in the phone, the universe is, unfortunately, never that simple :(
  • ClutchboneClutchbone Member Posts: 2
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'm having trouble with this and need some help. I'm getting an error message titled "Can't Find Chitin.key", with text saying "EE Keeper was Unable to read the game resources..." and I'm not sure how to fix it.

I've copied the OBB file to my PC and extracted it with WinRar. If I select the "patch.200.com.beamdog..." file as the installation directory in eeKeeper, the languages drop-down menu is populated and I can select "English". However, the error message pops up because the missing Chitin.key file is in "main.206.com.beamdog..." but if I select "main.206..." instead then the languages list doesn't populate. Selecting the folder containing both files, or moving "main.206..." into "patch.200..." or vice versa, doesn't populate the language list. Copy/pasting the chitin.key file into "patch.200..." causes eekeeper to crash.

I have also copied my "save" folder from my device to my PC, selected the "save" folder in eeKeeper (also tried files within save folder, and directory containing save folder), and checked "custom save directory".

Please, any directions or help would be much appreciated.
  • RonnaannRonnaann Member Posts: 48
    Just wondering, is the reason that EEKeeper isn't on Android because the save files for BGEE/BG2EE/IWDEE are sandboxed, and as such wouldn't be available to other applications on the same device?

Cause that would be annoying.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @Clutchbone you need to extract both the "patch" and "main" archives to the same directory. Having two individual folders from the two archives won't be enough to fulfil the setup requirement.

@Ronnaann, the reason EE Keeper isn't on Android or iOS is for three reasons:-
    1. Foremost, the code base is MFC. Microsoft Foundation Classes, something which, unless the required classes are rewritten, is inherently not cross-platform friendly. So it's currently restricted to Windows (natively) until I do more work porting the features over to Qt, which would make it natively available on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
    2. One point is that user data files are different per platform, with Android packaging the game files that Keeper needs to scan in archives—not an impossible task, but will slow down reading considerably, especially since it's not one archive.
    3. Another point is that creating something which has the ability to edit files not belonging to me/my application, there are some grey areas regarding legality/terms of service.
    The same three points also apply to iOS. I don't foresee me doing any work to make it compatible in the near future.
  • ClutchboneClutchbone Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Troodon80! I didn't know you could extract two files at once.
  • Brer_RabbitBrer_Rabbit Member Posts: 159
    Interesting. I was wondering the same for mods on Android in general. Thanks for the insights!
  • smallersmaller Member Posts: 22
    Allow me to add my thanks for the info in this thread, finally all happily set up to play modded up on my phone, thanks to many great posts like this one!
  • EnkielEnkiel Member Posts: 2
    Hi Sorry to bring this up but i already thing i exhausted all googling powers for this. Followed "i think" on every troubleshooting steps and guides in this thread but i cant seem to get pass the " error message titled "Can't Find Chitin.key", with text saying "EE Keeper was Unable to read the game resources..."

any help?
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    edited December 2017
    Hi @Enkiel, and welcome to the forum.

To use EEKeeper, you still have to follow the instructions for the preparation of installing a Mod, that can be found on this thread. I will summarise below but it is good to read the discussion...

Judging from the pictures above, you have copied the .obbs to your PC. You need to unpack the obbs keeping the folder structure contained within. I do this with WinRAR and associate .obb to open in WinRAR. You can also just rename the .obbs to .zip and it will still work. Once this is done, Chiten.key will show up.

This is my folder structure (I assume your version is 1.3.2064) and I recommend that you move it away from your desktop...

Anything in (brackets) is not part of the folder name; just a comment...

C:\BG Android
    C:\BG Android\BG2EE 2064 (used to install Mods into)
    C:\BG Android\BG2EE 2064\override (where most mods place there files)
    C:\BG Android\BG2EE 2064 Files (used to compress the installed mods before copying to device)
    C:\BG Android\BG2EE 2064 Files\lang
    C:\BG Android\BG2EE 2064 Files\lang\en_US (change to whatever language you use... I assume English)
    C:\BG Android\BG2EE 2064 Files\override
    C:\BG Android\BG2EE 2064 Save (used to edit your saved game with EEKeeper)
    C:\BG Android\BG2EE 2064 Save\portraits (for custom portraits)
    C:\BG Android\BG2EE 2064 Save\save (where the savegame will be copied to for editing)
    C:\BG Android\BG2EE 2064_Clean (only if you want to back up a clean version of BG2EE with no mods in case of problems or building a new mod pack)
    C:\BG Android\EEKeeper 1.040 (or the latest)
    C:\BG Android\Mods (Backup area for your mods you want to keep for next time)

This of course is also for setting up mods into android, so if you aren't going to do that, then ignore the mods area; you would only need:

C:\BG Android
    C:\BG Android\BG2EE 2064 (used to install Mods into)
    C:\BG Android\BG2EE 2064 Save (used to edit your saved game with EEKeeper)
    C:\BG Android\BG2EE 2064 Save\portraits (for custom portraits)
    C:\BG Android\BG2EE 2064 Save\save (where the savegame will be copied to for editing)
    C:\BG Android\EEKeeper 1.040 (or the latest)

Unpack (using WinRAR or 7Zip) main.226.com.beamdog.baldursgateIIenhancededition.obb into C:\BG Android\BG2EE 2064 making sure the folder structure remains the same.

Unpack patch.220.com.beamdog.baldursgateIIenhancededition.obb into C:\BG Android\BG2EE 2064
    maintaining the folder structure.

Once you unpack, you should end up with the following folders in your C:\BG Android\BG2EE 2064:
    C:\BG Android\BG2EE 2064
    C:\BG Android\BG2EE 2064\data
    C:\BG Android\BG2EE 2064\lang
    C:\BG Android\BG2EE 2064\movies
    C:\BG Android\BG2EE 2064\music
    C:\BG Android\BG2EE 2064\override
    C:\BG Android\BG2EE 2064\scripts
    and chitin.key should be in the root of C:\BG Android\BG2EE 2064

You can delete the .obb files now and you should have about 2.4gig in the folder structure.

If you want to edit your saved game with EEKeeper, copy the savedgame from 'sdcard/android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateiienhancededition/files/save/'into 'C:\BG Android\BG2EE 2064 Save\save'. If modded, make sure that you are still have the modded version in C:\BG Android\BG2EE 2064 (with the same mods you are using on your device)

Make sure that EEKeeper is setup where Install Path = C:\BG Android\BG2EE 2064\ and Save Directory = C:\BG Android\BG2EE 2064 Save\save\, and there is a tick in the Use Custom Save Location. Once that is setup, you can open the game and edit away...

Let me know how you go, or simply ask if need more info. BTW, For the profile in EEKeeper, I use BG2EE-A (not that it makes any difference but I have 7 profiles so it is easier to know which is which...)

Happy Gaming
    Gus

Edit: Added part where brackets are not part of the filename.

• EnkielEnkiel Member Posts: 2
    @Gusinda oh my god. thank you.. so thats what it meant by extracting the obb files. thanks again!
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    You can also just copy and paste any character file into the save folder on your tablet, regardless of how many mods your computer version have installed. As long as the character file does not reference something that does not exist in your tablet, you are in the good. (Pictures, abilities, items etc).
  • DordledumDordledum Member Posts: 243
    edited October 2018
    With no access to a PC at home, only a Chromebook, I just want to throw this into the discussion:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cz.posvic.savegameeditor_baldursgate

Reviews are very mixed. I really would like a EE Keeper alternative, but I gather from the thread sofar that there is none available if you don't own a PC

Edit: I gave this a shot tonight. It works but is very basic, you can only change ability scores, and nothing else.
    Post edited by Dordledum on
  • Lumsword14Lumsword14 Member Posts: 4
    Zyzzogeton wrote: »
    Go to /Android/OBB/com.beamdog.blahblah

Copy the OBB file to your computer

Open it with some unzip program (WinRAR works), unload everything into a directory. Open EE Keeper, select that directory as the BG I Resource.

For saved games, go to Android/Data/com.beamdog.blahblah, copy the individual save folders to a directory. Open EE Keeper, when selecting saved games select custom folder then point to that directory where the save folders are.

The last part of this instruction that I got stuck. Yes, I tried to open EE Keeper when selecting saved games and select custom folder, after that my EE Keeper got shut down without any reason at all, not even saying error.

So, that is the part I may be wrong about something. Maybe I am not sure what "when selecting saved... directory where the save folders are." meant so please help me out. Why did my EE keeper got shut down? I wanna get straight down with this and play game asap!
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @Lumsword14, did you end up resolving this? If not, just give a little description of what your file structure looks like and I will see if I can help. Also, if you are using EEKeeper 1.0.4.0, then try go back one step and use 1.0.3.6. I had some crashes with 1.0.4.0 but have had none with 1.0.3.6.

Gus
  • AzyraAzyra Member Posts: 22
    Ola, boa tarde. Gostaria de saber se é possível usar o EE Keeper no Android. Não tenho acesso a um comprador. E gostaria de modificar a classe da Hexxat. Torna-la um dançarina das sombras ou uma guerreira/Ladina. Caso alguém saiba fazer isso pode ta me disponibilizando o arquivo. Obg