Skip to content

Clean install

KangraxxKangraxx Member Posts: 1
edited December 2017 in Troubleshooting
How do I do a clean install? The game was working yesterday and then for some reason just stopped opening completely. I ran through all the troubleshooting that I could find on the internet. None of it worked.

I have Tweaks and Unfinished business installed, but it was working fine for months. So when the game stopped opening yesterday I uninstalled and reinstalled via steam but it still won't open. If I use 1.3v the game works as it is now but once updated, back to not opening.

Any help would be awesome. Just got to BG in my F/M/T game :(

Edit: I believe it was all working before I used the new Unfinished Business. "win-bg1ub-v15.2", I previously had another version of UB already installed, hence why I think a clean install may work. Steam Version.

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Most mods are updated to work for version 2.0 and later. You will probably need to update to the current build for mods to work.
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    edited December 2017
    Hi @Kangraxx, welcome to the forum. I am assuming that you are on Windows 10.

@ThacoBell - I think the post suggests that the game isn't working on 2.x and Kangraxx tried with 1.3 as part of fault finding, found it worked and updated again to 2.x. Now it isn't working again.

If this isn't correct, then I have misread the post... Sorry.

To answer the OP, From here, I am assumming that you have updated to BGEE 2.x:

On the not working side of things, this may not be a problem related to the game or mod but to a Windows Update that has been rolled out over the past couple of months, and yours might have occurred yesterday (or recently). There have been a number of probs where the BG engine that drives the game fails to work using OpenGL with certain Video card drivers and Windows, but could be fixed by changing the engine from OpenGL to DirectX (or vica verca).

To do this, edit your baldur.lau (..\My Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\baldur.lau), find and change the line below.

SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Backend','0')
    to
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Backend','1')

If it is a 1, then try changing it to 0; if it is a 0, then change to 1. 0 = OpenGL, 1 = DirectX

Try starting BGEE before loading any mods onto the game. If it works, load Tweaks (unsure which tweaks), try starting again, if successful then install UB before continuing on with your game.

Hopefully, this is the only prob you have and all is well again. If it isn't, let us know and someone will assist in troubleshooting.

Happy Gaming
    Gus

Edit: You may also want to check your drivers for your video card and sound card to make sure they are the latest version... If you need assistance, then let us know.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725