Skip to content

Problem with sound placeables in the toolset

I have tried this on three different computers, from simple Realtek sound cards to a fancy Creative one, the bug persists:

Whenever, I placed a sound placeable in a new module, in a new or existing area,
OR whenever, I edited a sound placeable in an existing module, mine or someone else's,
I get a big error window, complaining that I have to have 2D-sound WAVs and not 3D-ones (since these are for playing continuously). After the error window has popped up, the toolset decides to erase the .wav files that were included in the sound placeable from the blueprint palette. This means that the sound cannot be placed or played.
This is quite annoying. What am I doing wrong?
I have tried with like 25 different kinds of sound placeables - each and everyon hickup this way.

Comments

• IndiraLightfootIndiraLightfoot Member Posts: 29
    Alright, the error message is lengthy, but here it is:
    "Wave list.
    You are attempting to use the following stereo WAV files in a 3D positional sound object.
    Stereo WAV files can only be used as 2D sounds (set as "Play everywhere in the area", under the Positioning tab), which are non-positional and are heard the same throughout an area.
    Attempting to use stereo WAV files in a 3D positional sound object may cause errors when the game or toolset tries to play them.

Are you sure you wish to continue using these WAV files?
    Select the WAV files you wish to keep.
    Click OK to proceed. Click Cancel to avoid making any changes."

Regardless of choice here, the sound object stops working after this.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Are you doing this in a new module or an old one created under the 1.69 toolset?

Have you tried replicating this in another new module?

Just curious - I tried to replicate this and as far as I could tell the placeables worked fine for me, so I wonder if there's a specific cause.
    Thank you for your reply and your trying to replicate my problem.
    I have tested this, in the following constellations so far:
    -New NWN1 EE module, new NWN1 EE area.
    -New NWN1 EE module, a 1.69 area erfed in
    -Two of the small toolset example modules, using their areas, and adding new areas into these mods
    -One custom 1.69 module, 1.69 areas (obviously), and new areas created within that mod

The same problem arises constantly. Each and every sound object I pick will demand that I use it as "play everywhere in area". If I don't, I can't play the sound object at all. Some of the sounds I pick have been preset to play at random location or at a specific location only, still this bug insist on my making them "play everywheres".
    I have my NWN EE set on Miles 2D, like I always had in NWN. I reckon, it was preset like that when I got my headstart NWN EE.
    I'll try to replicate it again. I may have missed a step somewhere.
    edited December 2017
    Okay, I got the message to pop up, but:

The sound was placed properly
    And the sound wasn't removed from the palette.

I'm going to keep adding sounds until this happens or I get tired.

What I do:

Set the sound to play in a location
    Click "OK"
    Select all sound files
    Click "OK"

And it seems to work.

I tried canceling out as well, and the sound wasn't removed from the palette.
    IndiraLightfoot
    Heh, I was formulating myself clumsily in that first post of mine:
    This sentence:
    "After the error window has popped up, the toolset decides to erase the .wav files that were included in the sound placeable from the blueprint palette."
    I didn't mean that the WAV files or the sound placeables disappeared from the blueprint resref palette.
    I meant that the WAV files within the placed sound object in whatever area get erased. So, say, a looping set of bird chirp sounds would now be none at all in tha sound list where you can press "play" etc.

And yup, the sound itself gets placed properly, and it doesn't get erased from the area.

Moreover, if I just plop down a sound object straight from the palette, it will work. No errors as far as I can tell. Every time, I get that error message, is when I've entered properties and made at least one active choice somewhere, then the 2D/3D error window pops up.
    BelleSorciere
    edited December 2017
    Oh, and of course, when there are no sounds in that list, I can't click OK, so no sound playing. It will remain placed IIRC.
    Post edited by IndiraLightfoot on
    BelleSorciere
    Okay so: I can't get the sound files to play in the toolset, but if I run the module I can hear them in NWN itself. This only happens when I take a global sound and edit it to be localized. If I place a localized sound, I can get it to play in the toolset. Either way, if I even try to test the sound I get the dialogue box you describe when I click OK.

I still can't replicate the disappearing wavs from the placed objects, so I don't know what's happening there.

BTW, I apologize if I'm coming across as trying to debunk this - I'm not. I totally believe you, I just can't fully replicate what you describe.

• NeverwinterWightsNeverwinterWights Member Posts: 339
    I decided to test this as well and am getting the exact same problem as Indira. I used the chirping birds sound. You can only set it to play everywhere without having an issue. If it is a random position or a specific location it will give me the error message and if I don't hit "select all" it will also remove all the sounds from that sound object.
    edited December 2017
    After messing with it, I think that's not an error message. It's a dialogue asking you to select which sound files you want that object to play. If you select none, then it will play none, which is probably why it's removing all sounds from that sound object.

Have you tried selecting some sounds and seeing if those remain when you click ok?
    NeverwinterWights
    It seems like an error message (Attempting to use stereo WAV files in a 3D positional sound object may cause errors when the game or toolset tries to play them) but I get what you're saying. Maybe more just a warning message. It's definitely different behavior than before. If you select all the sounds they will remain. And in testing the birds will still randomly chirp from that specific location. But you keep getting that pop-up every time you even make a change to the sound object, like the sound intervals, and you have to re-select all the sounds again. Not sure if that is intentional behavior but I don't think I like it.
    BelleSorciereIndiraLightfoot
    I don't like it either and it should be reported.
    NeverwinterWights
    edited December 2017

It seems like an error message (Attempting to use stereo WAV files in a 3D positional sound object may cause errors when the game or toolset tries to play them) but I get what you're saying. Maybe more just a warning message. It's definitely different behavior than before. If you select all the sounds they will remain. And in testing the birds will still randomly chirp from that specific location. But you keep getting that pop-up every time you even make a change to the sound object, like the sound intervals, and you have to re-select all the sounds again. Not sure if that is intentional behavior but I don't think I like it.

Yeah, this sums it up pretty neatly.I forgot to mention that I've tried on Win 10 (two PCs), and Win 7 (one PC). Although I've only done limited NWN1 modding, I'm a pretty seasoned NWN2 modder, and this will drive me a bit crazy, since placing sounds is one of my favourite pastimes. Sadly, NWN1 lacks positional lighting, which is something I do enjoy just as much.

Hmm, I see subforums for bugs for all the Infinity games, but no such forum for NWN1 headstart. How do we report this? :#
    NeverwinterWights
    Bugs are in the technical subforum. There's also a thread in that forum about how to report bugs.
    NeverwinterWightsIndiraLightfoot
  • PlasmaJohnPlasmaJohn Member Posts: 31
    You need to use mono (single channel) files for positional audio.

You need to use mono (single channel) files for positional audio.

I think the problem here is that all the sounds that we used to play from a specific location, such as the bird chirps coming from a tree rather than the whole area, you can't do now. Well technically you still can but the tool set is acting weird about it now. We never had this problem or warning or behavior before with the same sound files until EE.
    Sylvus_Moonbow
  • PlasmaJohnPlasmaJohn Member Posts: 31
    Shows how much sound work I've done with NWN, lol.

Sounds like the old toolset was ignoring a warning or failed to present it to the user and it sounds like NWN:EE is being more strict about it.

Wouldn't surprise me that NWN Classic used the first channel instead of mixing. Stick with mono and get what you intend instead of hoping for the best.