Skip to content

Playing as a Warlock?

2»

Comments

• kamuizin said:

Well by play NWN2 and for research everything i could in warlock matter i'm pretty sure warlocks are summoner and controller of demons/devils, and they're too people that made pacts or deals with demons or devils.

But i'm not going to enforce my opinion to anyone, just want to state what i think of the class and from where i get my ideas.

That link you posted is to a homebrew website, and is absolutely 0% official.
  • KukarachaKukaracha Member Posts: 256
    People are going way overboard with the feature requests.
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    Kukaracha said:

People are going way overboard with the feature requests.

But 'locks are soooo cool, besides we burned warlocks and witches back in the days, so they have a massive impact in history!

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    That's kind of a lot to copy from a published source that specifically does not allow copying on the internet.

You can note the things that you have gleaned from the source material, but you can't post them here. It's stupid, I know, but that's the rules that WotC likes to enforce.
  • HoebaggerHoebagger Member Posts: 46
    edited September 2012
    @Aosaw That's very true, they don't get any noteworthy summoning abilities except the low level swarm if I recall correctly. Though they are a good class to get the feats Obtain Familiar and Improved Familiar for an imp familiar.

Also @kamuizin you forgot to credit the source in the immediate post. You need to slap out page number author and original copyright information in order to make it kosher. I've had to deal with this problem....extensively... in the past.
    Oh, it's a lovely class. I like using it in 3e. But as a demon-summoner, that's unfortunately not what the class does. So something like what this thread is asking for would have to be designed more or less from the ground up.
    LordsDarkKnight185
  • kamuizin said:

What doesn't mean it's false @LordsDarkKnight185, at least i brought an source instead of just expose my thoughts only.

the only difference is that the complete arcanum doesn't mention warlocks being in existance by devil/demon pacts

Firstly:
    No, not "fake" But it is very unlikely they will agree to work with something they do not own (And wotc does not own homebrews)

Secondly:
    "Long ago, they (or in some cases, their ancestors) forged grim pacts with dangerous extraplanar
    powers, trading portions of their souls in exchange for supernatural power."
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    You know, I know people want more Kits and whatnot. But why not try some of the established 2e Wizard Kits from the actual 2e Pen and Paper resources before going to WoW and 3e? The original 2e Complete Wizard's Handbook has 10 additional Kits for Wizards (Academician, Amazon Sorceress, Angakok, Militant Wizard, Mystic, Patrician (Noble Wizard), Peasant Wizard, Savage Wizard, Witch/Warlock and Wu Jen. Now, not all of those are suitable for the game, but I could see Militant Wizard making the cut, and an NPC Wu Jen. Most of the Kits in Wizards and Rogues of the Realms are based on what area the Wizard comes from.

Perhaps the Shadow Walker as a dual class Wizard/Thief Kit?
    DragonspearMoomintrollLordsDarkKnight185
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @LadyRhian was Militant Wizard basically the War Wizard of its day?

(Sorry always been REALLY interested in Cormyr, the Purple Dragon Knights and the War Wizards since I first read about em)
    @Dragonspear Sort of. It was a specialized Wizard built around fighting. So Illusion spells, which were not deemed very useful in battle, were shunned, and things like that. The Complete Book is supposed to be here: http://www.preterhuman.net/texts/gaming_and_diversion/AD&D/AD&D 2nd Edition - The Complete Wizard's Handbook - PHBR4.pdf
    edited September 2012
    @Dragonspear You can also find the Kits here: http://www.angelfire.com/games/Oerth2/Wizards/Chapter3.html

War Wizards get an extra point of damage per die out of every damage-causing spell, but on spells not causing damage, their effective caster level is halved. So if a 10th level War Wizard cast Web, it would be as if it was cast by a 5th level Wizard. On the other hand, if he cast a Fireball, it could potentially cause up to 70 fire damage, instead of 60.
    I'd like the wizard specialization schools to be set as a different component of character. So you choose your class, "Mage", with kits to choose within that, and then you choose a school (if any) to specialize in.

The specialization schools aren't different enough to work well as kits, and it would create more space for new mage kits.

It would also potentially create weird issues with a Wild Conjurer, but that might not be a terrible thing anyway.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    @LadyRhian, i would have no problem with your suggestion although BG don't use dual class kits (what could be changed with your suggestion), the question here is:

The warlock class isn't my idea, but it's an valid idea and i support it even if i don't like the class that much, and people judged the author's idea before know if the kit was an already in existance avaliable kit.

Yet, your look in dual class kits can make a new kind of kits to be create, that could be nice too, i remember a mod from old BG II that make specific classes for each multi/dual class that follow specific requeriments, that mod also changed most of the NPCs classes (only the multi/dual NPCs).

@Aosaw, WotC can like it or not, they can even get the quoted content out but i did it in full right an company term of use can't overcome law, @Hoebagger i need only to point the Author (WotC) and work origin (complete arcanum), besides the law of my country can't force or obligate relations that happens outside it, if Beamdog or a forum moderator want to errase my comment because it hurt's some copyright in USA or Canada terms, they're entitled to do so, i can't do nothing to prevent that, my law quote only objective to prevents punishment to my account from any copyright breaching interpretation, as my act was lawful, just that.

@LordsDarkKnight185, didn't understand what WotC doesn't own, so care to explain? the second point quoted part of one of my quotes... so?
    @Kamulzin They aren't dual class, except for the shadow thief. And it's actually more of a new class than an actual kit. The other kits I was talking about were multiclass kits for non-humans. I don't think dual class kits would work, honestly.
  • kamuizin said:

@LordsDarkKnight185, didn't understand what WotC doesn't own, so care to explain? the second point quoted part of one of my quotes... so?

WOTC owns anything that has been printed in one of their books or magazines. They can use that material as they see fit without issue...If they converted a warlock class it would have to be the 3e one from complete arcane, or some variation of the 4e one from the PHB. But they do not own fan-made material on websites. While you can request things, I am not trying to stop you, i am just saying it is highly unlikely they will use anything they don't own, because it would cause alot of legal paperwork.

As for the second part, I was pointing it out as you confused me, because you were contradicting yourself.
    They also own anything written by TSR.

...Yeah.
  • Aosaw said:

They also own anything written by TSR.

...Yeah.

goes without saying :P
    edited September 2012
    WotC can sue me for all that i care :) as i know that i acted inside my rights, but they must do it in Brazil.

Edit: Ops i get now you mean that the fan pages are outside the control of WotC and not that i can't quote part of the official magazine, well lemme retreat the first phrase so, and i will edit again to answer now that i understand what you mean.

Edit2: yes Warlock class is an official 3° ed class, you didn't recognize them as an official class cos i pointed previous to D&D wiki page and NWN2 wiki page. Ok, the last quotes that i did are from the complete arcanum book, what means the class is official.

Just to add lemme remember that Sorcerer and Monk are 3° ed classes as well, so the fact that Warlock isn't an AD&D class is not a enough justify by itself to keep them from Baldur's Gate.
    edited September 2012
    When it comes to a website forum, the liability falls not on the user but on the website's owners. You can be cavalier about your own rights in your own country all you like, but please be respectful of the place where you post it.

Sites have been shut down entirely for doing exactly what you've done. That might not happen here, but I'd rather we not take chances.

EDIT: I agree that "It's a 3e class" isn't necessarily enough of an argument to leave them out. My perspective, though, is that the game is plenty fleshed out without adding another base class to the mix. I'd much rather that the existing base classes get the "Colbert Bump", so to speak.
    @Kamuizin You're quite right as far as covering yourself is concerned. However listing the things I requested would cover Beamdog from any reprecussions. Regrettably the actual position of the server (as in what country it's in) that the website is hosted on determines what laws the website host is covered by. So without those small additions to your post the website host could get into trouble. You'll notice there is a global cover for approved uses at the bottom of the page, however your posting would not technically count as what is approved without listing the exact source (page) and author as far as covering this website.

So short version: Yes you're safe, however the forum owners are not. Have some heart yeah?
    edited September 2012
    @Hoebagger you see that my statement was done by a misunderstand do you? I did it when i misunderstand the statement of a previous forum member, i thought that his statement means that i couldn't do something based on WotC rules besides the fact i'm allowed to do that in my country.

When i quoted a small copyright content from WotC, in that same post i stated that if it risk to harm beamdog, the forum moderators or the devs, that i would feel no problem in get it removed, as they did.

What i meant before was an protection to my account, not a freedom of expression, i meant to protect my account from a ban or any other penality for that post, as i did it in full right (from where i am).

But @Hoebagger i fixed (edited) my mistake 10 minutes after the original post when i saw my mistake, the next post in this thread only appeared 1 min later my last edition, so i found my mistake by myself obvious, not by external tease, so i ask you, a 5 hours later post to scold me is necessary?

@kamuizin Thank you sir! I greatly appreciate your help! You're a good man helping to protect Beamdog, and I thank you greatly!