Skip to content

December 15 Livestream Recap

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
Hello again!

We've prepared a summary of today's stream for all of you!

http://blog.beamdog.com/2017/12/december-15-livestream-recap.html

Comments

• rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    edited December 2017
    What did they say about IE games 64bit on PC at 46:15? They are not sure they did a conversion but it matters only for Apple compatibility?
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    So... what's the status of SoD? Is it going to be on 2.5 together with the other games? Or will we have to stick to 2.3 to play that?
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    rede9 said:

What did they say about IE games 64bit on PC at 46:15? They are not sure they did a conversion?

They said that the 2.5 codebase supports 64 bits but on Windows @TrentOster was not sure which version they ship (I checked, 2.5 still is 32bits).

It's mandatory for iOS. 64 bits allows to use more than 8GB of RAM but it's not really useful for an IE game.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    The thing I don't get is—maintaining two separate code bases (32bit and 64bit) seems counter intuitive, as it requires twice the amount of work (you need to do stuff on your 32bit code base, then replicate the same stuff on your 64bit one.)

Granted, I'm no programmer and there's a fat chance I'm missing something; but from the outside, it looks like double work for nothing.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Thels said:

So... what's the status of SoD? Is it going to be on 2.5 together with the other games? Or will we have to stick to 2.3 to play that?

I too would like an answer to this question. I've been putting off playing SoD for the 2.5 patch.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    SoD is not a part of the 2.5 beta, and according to what Phillip Daigle has said during the livestream the work on it will happen after the 2.5 patch is released for BG:EE, BGII:EE and IWD:EE.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    So... The 2.5 patch is going to 'solve' multiplayer by bringing all games across all platforms up to the same version... If you do not buy SoD.

I'm confused now. Considering this patch is missing features that were either promised or clearly essential for the sake of getting all the versions in line, why aren't the versions brought in line? Even for a single playthrough, we have to be in different versions?

Effectively, if we want to play through SoD, we'll have to stick to 2.3? Also, how is that going to work on Steam and GoG, where SoD is not a separate installation, but a DLC upgrade?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    My guess is that SoD is going to get special focus as bringing all platforms up to parity includes getting SoD on IOS and tablet. (The filesize restriction thing).
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Thels said:

So... The 2.5 patch is going to 'solve' multiplayer by bringing all games across all platforms up to the same version... If you do not buy SoD.

I'm confused now. Considering this patch is missing features that were either promised or clearly essential for the sake of getting all the versions in line, why aren't the versions brought in line? Even for a single playthrough, we have to be in different versions?

Effectively, if we want to play through SoD, we'll have to stick to 2.3? Also, how is that going to work on Steam and GoG, where SoD is not a separate installation, but a DLC upgrade?

Yes, exactly. I also have recently switched to having my EE games on Steam. So when my BGEE updates to 2.5 sometime in January, what happens to my SoD part which is a DLC for my BGEE game?

Also, will the 2.5 update work for SoD happen concurrently with the announced work on bringing SoD to mobile platforms, or even later than that?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    The answer to the SoD question --> here. Don't worry, everything will be alright!