Skip to content

BG2: What did you do to the Demogorgon?

2»

Comments

• GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited December 2013
    Well, I killed it and freed it to the abyss everytime, since by the time it made it's way back to the Prime Material Plane, I would either be long dead(Unless I was an Elf or Dwarf) or had been a deity for 100 years before it even had the ability to return to the prime material plane(unless I screwed up and summoned it for some reason).

In the Forgotten realms, a Demon or Devil cannot return to PMP until either 100 years have passed since it died, or the person who killed it's avatar on the PMP summons it to the PMP.
    Proont
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited December 2013
    you can actually kill demogorgen and still seal the tomb if u activate the scroll immediately on exiting once you kill him and get xp for both I believe
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    It seemed the Elan thing to do :D
    ArdulProont
  • MoczoMoczo Member Posts: 236
    Way I see it, there's no permanent way to deal with the problem short of following it into the Abyss to finish it off. At least 'killing' it gives a guaranteed century. Who knows how long the Keep's seal lasts?

Also it makes me feel cool, but I don't tell Jaheira that part. She'd smack me.
    [Deleted User]Proont
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180

There's an exploit in the vanilla game but I don't know if it still exists in EE:

1) Read the ritual scroll when you first enter Demogorgon's chamber (80k XP).
    2) Exit and lure the Helmites into the keep to get slaughtered (25k XP).
    3) Receive new scroll from Helmite ghost.
    4) Enter the keep and kill Demogorgon (100k XP).
    5) Place new scroll in a quick item slot.
    6) Speak to Odren one last time (20k XP).
    7) Exit the keep. At this point the new scroll should disappear but it doesn't immediately. So pause the game before the scroll disappears and read it for 80k XP.

(I suppose the difficult part is step 8: Get the smell of burnt cheese out of your computer...)

You can reverse steps 4 and 7. Read the Helmite ghost's scroll at the entrance of demogorgon's door then go in and kill demogorgon.
    Montresor_SPProontGemHound
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    I slaughtered the bastard.:D
    Pre-battle buffs, with some high-level summons to deal with his own. Then just have at thee!
  • TenreccTenrecc Member Posts: 265
    I always kill him. My personal favourite, since I never run traps, is a tri-caster ADHW toasting. Been so long that I can't remember if I prep the Chain Contings with any dispel/low res sort of spells, but I do remember burning him down in the first round without problems.
  • I'm with @Moczo; while sealing him keeps him from doing anything for a while, it still leaves him as a ticking time bomb on the material plane. Killing him sends him back to the Abyss, where it will be a while before he can screw with the Prime in a major way (and maybe he'll get distracted by the Blood War for a few centuries).
    MoczoProont
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Yeah, if I can kill him once, I can kill him again. For even more exp. And possibly a reward.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    My undead hunter pondered long and hard on these choices. He knew that he could possibly kill the imprisoned one, but that would possibly set him free in a 100 years. But after talking to the imprisoned one and reading the scroll inside the keep and learning that I was trapped in there. I pretended to make a deal with the demon just for him to let me out. Now that I knew that those helmites where fallen and cowards I told him that I had killed the thing and he should check it out. After that Helms little messenger came and gave me a scroll allowing me to seal the keep. A fitting punishment for those who were too scared to perform their sacred duty.
  • TPSullivan1TPSullivan1 Member Posts: 30
    I also imprisoned it with the Fallen Helmites. I'm playing a Goody McGoodlington character so I chose to punish them for abandoning their faith. I also let Viconia burn since she was Drow. I'll save her another time when I roll through as an evil party, and I'll definitely kill everyone at the Keep when I play that group. In each case, I'll let my character's alignment determine the decisions...
  • DiselinDiselin Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2014
    Tanked all the spells with my sorcerer and let Wilson spank the crap outta him. Hilarious.
    Post edited by Diselin on
    Proont
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    I generally kill him just for the fun of it, then reload and go the proper 'good' way of sealing him.

Killing him's more fun, but my characters are usually of good alignment and generally would want the Helmites to have lives free to seek redemption, and wouldn't want the demon prince tormenting the prime in another 100 years (especially since a lot of them are elves, and demon princes have long memories- but even if your character is dead, Demogorgon would likely torture your descendents for the role you played in killing him). Him sealed is the best solution for all sides.

...But I still battle him with each party I make anyway, just to see if they can do it (they usually can). No spike traps, just storming the gates. Well, I do prebuff, but otherwise I try to make it somewhat fair.
    winters
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    I don't know that the fuss is all about when it comes to killing him in combat. I know that the threat of him returning to the Prime Material Plane in the future helps to establish the feeling of danger he imposes but the fact remains: he is a demon prince. No, he is THE Prince of Demons. Title might be informal but no other demon lords succeded in taking it away from him.

There is a reason why demon lords reside in the Abyss and I suspect it's not because they don't know how to get a hold of Plane Shift spell.

For all we know, the CHARNAME is doing him a favor, enabling him to return to his dominion and defend it against Orcus and other contenders. True, there might be a scar on Demogorgon's pride but it's hardly a reason to leave his Abyss layer unprotected to roam on other plane.
  • DargnonDargnon Member Posts: 31
    edited April 2014
    doublepost
  • DargnonDargnon Member Posts: 31
    Tried to imprison it with the "fake" scroll, went to the Helmites, accused them of the betrayl and demanded reward, told them its not enough and killed them, went back to it and killed it as well.
    Admiral_Thrawn
  • ThesblahThesblah Member Posts: 56
    Bumping this thread as there is an option that people haven't considered.

Most people consider this to be the option to receive the most exp:

(1) Read the scroll when you arrive (80k exp)
    (2) Make a deal with Demogorgon to free you
    (3) Trick the Helmites into meeting Demogorgon
    (4) Accept the scroll from the Helmite ghost (25k exp, 105k exp total at this point)
    (5) Go back and kill Demogorgon (100k exp, 205k exp total at this point)
    (6) Speak to dying Odren (20k exp, 225k exp total for the whole quest)

*(7) You can cheese your way into 80k more exp if you quickly read the Helmite ghost's scroll.

However, there is a supposedly good path that nets you 5k exp more than the above.

(1) Read the scroll when you arrive (80k exp)
    (2) Fight Demogorgon for your freedom (100k exp, 180k exp total at this point)
    (3) Go back and tell the Helmites that Demogorgon is dead and forgive them for lying to you (50k exp, 230k exp total for the whole quest +1 reputation)

You can't use the cheese cheat though. You also don't get to loot the bodies of the Helmites.
    rede9Proont
  • ThesblahThesblah Member Posts: 56
    Edit:

The good way is even better. If you speak to Odren after he dies, you only get 20,000 party exp. Each individual person does not get the 20,000 exp
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    In my last 3 playthroughs...

Dwarf Defender: The Helmites gave their word. They will keep it whether they want to or not! Sent them in and read the scroll.

Paladin: Helm says read the scroll and trap the demon prince. What else is there to think about?

Monk: Ohmygodoumygod...that was THE prince of demons! I...I don't think that I want to punch that. Let's just read the scroll and pretend like I did it for a more noble reason.

Because yes...lords of the abyss are scary. Especially when even opening the seal almost killed you all....
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    Those priest deserved it, teaches you to trick me!
    Proont
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    For the first time, after seeing what other folks did I came up with a slightly tweaked strategy on killing the Demogorgon.

I got him to summon the Malikeths, and then popped out of there to sleep for 8 hours. Just to get them out of the way.

The next step was to go back in, summon a few creatures to distract/cheese the Demogorgon's attention. Then, the finishing touches...

Anomen, Viconia, Aerie, Imoen and Edwin were my party. Edwin summoned swords, Viconia summoned Fallen Deva and my charname (Fighter 13/Mage 21) used Projected Image, which the image used Stone Skin, Fire Shields, and then Tenser's Transformation for mega hit point boost to further distractify and wail on Demogorgon.

Edwin had the Pierce Magic on spell trigger x3, same as Imoen. I used these when I felt I was making no progress on hits. Edwin, Imoen and Aerie also had slow, Greater Malision and other debuffs. I think the one debuff that really put the Demogorgon down after GMs and PMs was the Ray of Enfeeblement from Aerie, because after that he didn't attack. The Hold Monster spells seemed to have no effect on it after 5+ GMs cast. Slow worked for a time or two, but once the Enfeeblement took hold, the ol' two headed mandrill was toast.

No fatalities on my party members. Yay...
    semiticgoddessProont
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Imprison it. Deal with it. Kill Helmits. Kill it.
    My Charname isn't really concerned with fate of the others, so he has little reason to care what Demogorgon will do after being set free.
    Proont
  • InKalInKal Member Posts: 196
    I don't really care about xp at this point, so I killed Demogorgon for sport and then I killed the Helmitsess to avoid hurting their feelings by telling them that they are a buckets of lying filth.
    ProontArtona