Skip to content

Is there any reason *not* to start building a NWN:EE PW in head start?

Apologies for the double post, mods feel free to delete the discussion I started in general, didn't realize there was a PW section, that's kind of amazing!

My whole D&D group has NWN:EE headstart now, we have a few builders and script people from our "glory days" PW in this group, and we know we want to build something new...

So I'm wondering: I know that backwards compatibility is a huge thrust of the EE vision (and thank you for that), but is there any reason that we should hold off on building our "for keeps" NWN:EE persistent world now? It's nothing super complex, just an online RP platform of our D&D world with a bare bones "grind money, get gear" background game to have something to do. Is there any feature in the pipeline that wouldn't patch in seamlessly that would drastically alter our approach to building?

Comments

• FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    The lack of online player adoption might be a reason, the bugs might be another. As of writing this there are 18 players online in EE worlds, 544 on the 1.69 list and 123 on sinfar hosted servers, for a total of 18 (EE) vs 667 (1.69) or a current market share of 2.63% of the player base using EE after a month of availability. That might change in the future but as of right now you might want to consider your options since most of the basic features are compatible with both versions.

If you make a treasure generation script in 1.69 there is no reason it shouldn't work in EE if you port over when it gains more traction. Things break down when you start using the advanced community created features for 1.69 and consider porting over to EE, you will have to port those advanced features too, which might be too much work. Features probably like those using the NWNX and the client extensions and community made shader things.

If you don't care about available player base or advanced features then there's no reason not to build in EE except perhaps a few bugs that pop up and get fixed along the way.
  • SarmanosSarmanos Member Posts: 16
    If you're starting fresh, it would probably be better to just start in EE. The odds of getting any substantial playerbase up and going in 1.69 outside of your friends are going to be abysmal. 1.69 might have more people right now, but it is mostly territory where only the already long established places are going to get those people.
  • omedon666omedon666 Member Posts: 48
    Sarmanos said:

If you're starting fresh, it would probably be better to just start in EE. The odds of getting any substantial playerbase up and going in 1.69 outside of your friends are going to be abysmal. 1.69 might have more people right now, but it is mostly territory where only the already long established places are going to get those people.

We, uh.... aren't really looking to recruit new players beyond close friend word of mouth.
  • SnafulatorSnafulator Member Posts: 27
    edited February 2018
    Not many players around at the moment, but i'd say right now is a great time to get a 'Head Start' on your module building & testing :wink:
  • omedon666omedon666 Member Posts: 48

Not many players around at the moment, but i'd say right now is a great time to get a 'Head Start' on your module building & testing :wink:

Oh we already have all the players we intend on having. Ours won't be a public-facing module, it's just for our D&D group, passworded and such! :)