Skip to content

NPCs have spells not available to players?

The user and all related content has been deleted.
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Even if the OP's example is merely the discovery of a mistake by the devs, there are other cases where an NPC caster has spells not available to players.

For example, several characters cast Dimension Door at various points in the game. This was originally available to players too, but turned out to have several game-breaking (or plot-breaking) consequences which weren't fixable, so it was removed from the spells available to players.

Various characters have unique spells which no-one else gets. Some of these (such as Irenicus's "Rapture of the Father") are cast only in scripted cutscenes for plot reasons (and aren't really implemented in-game), but there are others (such as Dradeel's "Selune's Curse") which can actually be used by that character in in-game combat.

Some NPCs have spells which are pretty similar to ordinary player-usable spells but with different names (and perhaps slightly different features in some cases). For example, only demi-liches get "Demilich Howl", but it's essentially the same as a player's "Wail of the Banshee".
    JuliusBorisovGod
  • ArgyleArgyle Member Posts: 48
    ShadowKeeper/EEKeeper can be used to add these spells to you character's book. I played with Dancing Lights a bit ... very pretty animations.
    [Deleted User]
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    This is really a time honored tradition in D&D, bosses/rare monsters having spells the PCs cannot have (at least, at their current level).
    Tressetbob_vengRaduziel
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    [Deleted User]Hudzybob_vengRaduziel
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Argyle said:

ShadowKeeper/EEKeeper can be used to add these spells to you character's book. I played with Dancing Lights a bit ... very pretty animations.

I'd love to see these but have no idea how to use shadowkeeper/EEkeeper.

Any chance of a screen shot?
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

I'd love to see these but have no idea how to use shadowkeeper/EEkeeper.

It's just Mouse Magic, @UnderstandMouseMagic :wink:.
  • onelasttry84onelasttry84 Member Posts: 52
    hm... when I add "Darkness 15' radius" via EEKeeper I only get an innate ability that doesn't seem to do anything... casting animation and then nothing... ideas?
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881

hm... when I add "Darkness 15' radius" via EEKeeper I only get an innate ability that doesn't seem to do anything... casting animation and then nothing... ideas?

Sounds like you tried to do it for BG2. The spell file exists but the actual animation/effects are only in BG1 and SoD.
    onelasttry84
  • onelasttry84onelasttry84 Member Posts: 52
    Kurona said:

Sounds like you tried to do it for BG2...

true! thanks!

• MasterChefMasterChef Member Posts: 43
    I am running a game with a mage/thief drow and wanted to know if this spell actually works in BG 2 - I was thinking about assigning it to my character as a special ability, but wasn't sure based on EEKeeper if the spell works the same as in BG1 / SOD. Thanks!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @MasterChef Try your luck asking that question in the Modding section.