Skip to content

What would you add on a pnp version of IWD?

Hey ya!

Guys, I'm going to start an online 5th edition pnp campaign based on the Icewind Dale game with some friends and I'd like to know what you guys would add to enhance the players participation even more. I've thought of a couple of changes:

-decrease the number of enemies, I mean , to a pnp acceptable level.

-Easthaven and orc cave seem like the easiest part for DMing as it gives plenty of space for roleplaying and , at the cave, hack and slashing.

- I intend to make the avalanche a bit more dramatic, so the players can do everything they possibly can to survive and maybe save others from the expedition.

- My doubt is about further chapters: what woul you add on dragons eye and the severed hand to increase the level of roleplaying potential while they explore the dungeon?

Comments

• GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    (1) Temple of the Forgotten God would have the option of working with the priests there. Earning their trust and even getting them to help Attack dragon’s eye

(2) Dragon’s Eye would have RP opportunities with the prisoners. Both villagers, priestess and adventurers. Make the fake pacifists a more interesting investigation session

(3) Severed Hand would have elven ghosts on the lower levels. Make the lower levels battle grounds, where orcs and elves continue to fight to the death. Make PCs earn the right to advance by joining, and winning, in the never ending ghostly battles. Also fill the upper levels with more intelligent undead.

(4) Dorn’s Deep is harder. But you do have the cranky mage, the Dwarven ghost, and all the slaves. Work with all 3 to make it more of a RP experience.
    RaduzielDJKajuruMantis37
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited January 2018
    There would need to be a way to handle Yxunomei that doesn't involve direct combat. I can't believe any party that doesn't include a Bhaalspawn would be able to take on a Marileth at that point in the adventure without a suspension of disbelief. Some kind of trickery or ace in the hole to figure out would be really cool to RP. Maybe even some kind of deal with the devil (or demoness in this case) could be offered...
    DJKajuru
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Thanks for the ideas so far! @Grum I loved the idea of an endless battle going on at the severed hand, and @Balrog99 I'll definitely have to make a couple of changes at Dragon's eye specially in the final part , not only because Yzunomey is way too powerful but also because they might not be level 8 at this point lile the pc version.
    Glad you liked it and thanks for the update! Please keep the reports coming in
    semiticgoddessDJKajuru
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited January 2018
    I would add a whorehouse with a staff made one hundred percent of doppelgangers.

And keep the players unaware of this until every single one of the employees turns into the characters moms.

In Ravenloft that would guarantee a Madness check for sure.

Edit: You can use Rakshasa instead of Doppelgangers if you want to add a challenge to this.
    DJKajurusemiticgoddess
    Heu @Grum !
    Just keep you guys up to date - 2nd rpg session was at Kuldahar pass. Two players couldnt attend so we had them vanish in the avalanche while the other two (a dragonborn paladin and a human fighter) had to survive on their own.

The fighter had a dream where an icy lady (auril, but he doesn'tknow that) flirts with him, but he wisely refuses her moves. The paladin swears to avenge those dead in the avalanche.

After spending the night in the hermit's cave, they developed tactics to attack the goblins at the bridge (pnp adventurers fear for their lives more than pc ones hahah).

I had four goblins show up and attack them , FOUR, and unfortunately the little pests got better rolls and had both adventurers get to 0 hps (I tried to be quite fair and follow the rules), but I couldn't simply let the protagonists die so the ogre from the watch tower showed up , killed the goblins and picked the adventurers up. My players think that they'll be eaten by the ogre, and they might as well be under such risks , but we'll see it on the next session.

Theyve got enough Xp but I think I'll have them level up after reaching kuldahar.
    Grum
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    What I would add is some interaction with Crenshinibon at the end, you get some lines with Belhifet about how the shard wants you to beat him, maybe there is something to explore about that.
    DJKajuru
    MERLANCE said:

What I would add is some interaction with Crenshinibon at the end, you get some lines with Belhifet about how the shard wants you to beat him, maybe there is something to explore about that.

I could give them more hints about it through dreams , visions ... maybe have the shard manipulate everyone throughout the game including the players.
    I’m liking what I hear so far. A suggestion: hungry ogre wants food. The three orcs in the mill have murdered a family and have their stores. The ogre wants the party to sneak in and bring him something to eat. He would go, but they’d see him coming from a mile away, and there are far too many goblins.
    Raduziel