Skip to content

NWN: official sequel to SoD?

FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
It occurs to me that Siege of Dragonspear was left with loose ends (e.g. Soultaker Dagger and Chrystal Casket) to set up a sequel. However, as SoD was not as well received as hoped an Infinity Engine follow-up (aka BG3) looks unlikely.

However, a sequel could be done as an official expansion to NWNEE. Beamdog presumably still own story treatments, even though some of the writers have changed.

Comments

• fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    edited December 2017
    Well, there is tiny bit about BG being AD&D 2nd edition, while NWN is D&D 3.0. So the game mechanics would be radically different. But yes, it can be done nonetheless.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I don't think it matters which version of the rules that are used. I was assuming a new protagonist so there would be no need to convert stats between editions.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I've played SoD twice and I don't remember anything about a chrystal casket.

I doubt, though, there will be a sequel to SoD which is the interim between BG1 and BG2 considering how it ends and how BG2 starts. Where do you mean you would fit in the story?
    Spoiler for SoD:
    At the end of SoD, Skae is murdered with the Soultaker dagger. Her body is preserved, sleeping beauty style, in a crystal casket, until such time as the Soultaker dagger can be retrieved, and her body and soul rejoined.

This was clearly intended to set up a sequel to SoD (not a sequel to Baldur's Gate), otherwise why bother with such an elaborate scenario?

Since the protagonist of this story wouldn't be the protagonist of the Baldur's Gate saga, it doesn't matter where it "fits" in relation to BG2. It could take place immediately after SoD, so as to use Corwin as a major NPC, and therefore occur simultaneously with BG2, but involving different characters in a different part of the world; or it could occur hundreds of years later (200 years would be the FR "present") since the body is indefinitely preserved.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Fardragon said:

Spoiler for SoD:

At the end of SoD, Skae is murdered with the Soultaker dagger. Her body is preserved, sleeping beauty style, in a crystal casket, until such time as the Soultaker dagger can be retrieved, and her body and soul rejoined.

This was clearly intended to set up a sequel to SoD (not a sequel to Baldur's Gate), otherwise why bother with such an elaborate scenario?

I find it.. odd, that I don't even remember that. Tho, I gotta admit the end kinda bummed me out so I might have browsed through the text too much. But thanks for the clarification

I felt the end was trying too hard to set up a sequel.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    the sequel that already exists. you know bg2.

I must have missed the bit where the soul taker dagger and the crystal casket appear... oh yes, they don't.

BG2 is a sequel to BG1. Dragonspear is an original story tagged onto BG1 because Hasbro won't licence new games using 2nd edition rules.
  • TorgrimmerTorgrimmer Member Posts: 331
    edited December 2017
    Fardragon said:

I must have missed the bit where the soul taker dagger and the crystal casket appear... oh yes, they don't.

BG2 is a sequel to BG1. Dragonspear is an original story tagged onto BG1 because Hasbro won't licence new games using 2nd edition rules.
    Lets not forget, it needs to happen between BG1 and BG2 bc the story wraps up and finishes in BG2:Throne of Bhaal; the expac to BG2. Just cant fit a expac to Dragonspear, an expac already to BG1, which is meant for BG1, its not meant to be a game/story meant by itself, its meant to be a filler in for the time between the two main games or Lore wise it just makes no sense.
    edited December 2017
    No it doesn't, the story is is seperate from the Bhaalspawn saga.

That's why some people had issues with SoD: it's not part of the Bhaalspawn's story, it's someone else's story that the Bhaalspawn happend to stumble into (and out of).
  • LyraVrenLyraVren Member Posts: 21
    I agree with Fardragon, there's a story to be told there that does not need to in anyway involve the Bhaalspawn. I'd love to get a chance to set things right, even with a different character.
  • CerabelusCerabelus Member Posts: 385
    edited January 2018
    Fardragon said:

Spoiler for SoD:

Since the protagonist of this story wouldn't be the protagonist of the Baldur's Gate saga, it doesn't matter where it "fits" in relation to BG2. It could take place immediately after SoD, so as to use Corwin as a major NPC, and therefore occur simultaneously with BG2, but involving different characters in a different part of the world; or it could occur hundreds of years later (200 years would be the FR "present") since the body is indefinitely preserved.
    Corwin joins the party and after a few months of traveling turns out Male Bhaalspawn Abdul left her with a Bun in the Oven, "god damn it Abdul, don't just knock me up and run off yah prick" lol.

And Skae could be returned half way through and turns out having that happen is bad for you and comes back not quite right, "Daddy I'm home" than when he hugs her BAM she shivs him "whoops...sorry Daddy I slipped".