Skip to content

IMPORTANT - MP New Chars outside of Candlekeep - Do the automatically get XP to match party XP?

sorry for the semi-clickbait important. I am hoping for a quick response. I'm about to take a walk and I'm hoping someone who knows can tell me.

Comments

• BloodstoneBloodstone Member Posts: 99
    It's not a "matching" thing as much as it's a level up to a similar xp level. Probably not exactly point for point, but in the ball park
  • Sar_YehudahSar_Yehudah Member Posts: 135
    so if i create a new character with my party at level 5 the new char will be 4-5?
    I do not believe it's going to apply to a char that you "create". I took you to mean NPC's that were joinable to your party
    I see. so I pretty much would have to do it from the beginning? :/
    You can add a custom character at anytime. You can use the MP System to import/export. Google how to do it, not sure if it would be considered cheating here and don't wanna rock anybody's boat. There are also Infinity Engine Game Editors you can use to manage the party.
    This is a broken and unfriendly system. It bars me from getting old party members back.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

This is a broken and unfriendly system. It bars me from getting old party members back.

It doesn't bar you from getting old party members back. It reflects that party members who are not traveling/fighting/questing with you, and instead are sitting on their arses in the Friendly Arm Inn, haven't earnt any XP.

Why would they?
    Lets face it, if sitting and drinking your weight in beer gave you XP, nobody in any game ever would leave the bar.
    "Set up another round barkeep, I fancy getting another pip in long swords".
    sarevok57peko
    I don't care about justifications for it. I care about user friendliness. Also it wouldn't make sense for them to sit at the Inn at all times and do nothing.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

I don't care about justifications for it. I care about user friendliness. Also it wouldn't make sense for them to sit at the Inn at all times and do nothing.

Really?
    NPC seem to tend to hang around doing sweet FA until you meet them.
    And then you tell them to go away.
    I'd so prop up the bar, it's not my "destiny" anyway.
    sorry. I get your point. But my 'lore' assumption would be they would be doing odd jobs while not with me.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    worse case scenario you can always use the cheat console to boost up those party members to a higher amount to match what you got
    RAM021
    yeah that wouldn't be much of a problem I suppose.
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421

yeah that wouldn't be much of a problem I suppose.

get yourself EE Keeper , once you installed it its super intuitive to use , after that you just load your savegame and "Fix" the lacking XP to your desires.
    RAM021
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    That script only works for NPCs, and does not work at all for Imoen (she automatically joins the party at a moment where the PC is assumed to have less than 2000 XP, making it entirely useless).

Note that it's only 32000 XP, which even for BG1+TotSC standards is little more than a drop in the bucket. It assures that they have at least a couple of levels if you find them anywhere later than the very start of the game, and don't fall over dead when an enemy so much as looks in their direction, but it in no way guarantees that they'll remain close to the PC.

The system is there to prevent a requirement to rush to your favorite NPCs. It's actually recommended to take things more slowly. Without the NPCs in the party at the very start, the PC will gain more experience, and then the NPCs will be more experienced when you recruit them. That said, BG1 has more than enough XP to cap out well before the end of the game.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Activate the console and type (while hovering over the party NPC (including customly created) you want:

C:SetCurrentXP("XX")

where XX is the amount of XP you want to give them. For example, C:SetCurrentXP("32000") - you don't need even the EEKeeper for it, just a console command.
  • marc5477marc5477 Member Posts: 19
    Honestly, the game is already so easy that it does not make one lick of difference. So what if you import someone at level 1? Does it really matter? There is tons of EXP in the game. You can easily bring someone on at level 1 half way into the game and it will be fine. They will level fast and hit 5 in no time at which point they should be effective at their role.

As for gameplay decisions, this game is meant to be an RPG 1st, and action 2nd. It is meant to be played in such a way that your decisions impact the game, such as who you travel with. Its not so much about action and combat nor realism. Its no different than designing the game so that you cannot switch classes on a whim nor roll back your skill point and re-allocate whenever you like. You can always do so with console commands and outside programs but it was not intended as part of the game.
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    Up to level 6.