Skip to content

BG:EE after 5 years is BROKEN and UNPLAYABLE

For the love of God, why the HELL is this game broken crap? It was released in 2012. I'm infuriated. I can't go 20 minutes playing with my friend without problems. The game freezes, starts rapidly pausing and unpausing ("paused for movie"), becomes incompatible and won't let my friend join without doing lua fixes... I'm genuinely angry. I'm not trolling. How can this game be so broken? it was released in 2012. How many patches have been released? dozens? I'm on the latest stable, and so is my friend. It took me forever to get him to play with me and this is ruining it for both of us. We haven't even been able to get into the Nashkell mines yet because of this malarky.
RAM021

Comments

• Sar_YehudahSar_Yehudah Member Posts: 135
    multiplayer is virtually broken. :(
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    I think people have been running MP with and without hiccups over all patch versions (six if I'm not mistaken not counting the iOS-only v2.4 and the v2.5 beta).

What version, OS and platform are you both playing on?
    ThacoBell
    Me steam, him GOG. both of us on the stable
    latest patch. Both Windows.
    Any chance you are running Steam with Cloud Saves enabled? That was the issue for my group last time when we were doing MP. You could try again with it disabled.
    Quartz
    okay one moment. Do you mean disabling cloud saves will actually stop weird bugs such as pausing and unpausing without us puasing?
    Can't guarantee anything, but it sure was a showstopper for us.
    Quartz
    Okay i'll try that. Unfortunately I can't recover my MP save as I'm at another house right now.
    I went home to recover it.
    Okay I actually don't how to disable cloud saves for this game. I don't think cloud saves exist for it anyway.

Okay I actually don't how to disable cloud saves for this game. I don't think cloud saves exist for it anyway.

In-game, under 'gameplay' it is one of the buttons on the right 'Enable cloud saves'.

can i disable this for BGEE only? does it have to be across all of steam?
    I think it is per game as you disable it from inside of the game.
    It doesn't say that in the steam overlay in game anywhere. I can't find "enable cloud saves."

It doesn't say that in the steam overlay in game anywhere. I can't find "enable cloud saves."

No, it's in the BG game itself, under options in the 'gameplay' tab.

Quartz
    oh! well i just checked that. It's already disabled.
    Too bad, I remember it causing quite some issues for people.
    What was causing issues on our MP-game we had @Thels?
    How do I install the beta on gog? he has it on gog.
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462

How do I install the beta on gog? he has it on gog.

The beta is only on Steam and Beamdog.
    edited January 2018
    well this just gets better and better.
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    edited January 2018
    It was honestly pretty excellent back in the day. Of course you had to either direct connect or use HEAT, but it was still plenty fun. I played tons of BG2 on Gamespy and met tons of really great people. When ToB first came out, my friends and I all waited because the K-mart only had 5 copies on the shelf, so we couldn't all play together. Once player 6 got his copy we all hooked up for a weekend and played straight through and it was an excellent gaming experience. In short I don't have a single negative memory of playing BG1 or 2 on-line prior to 2007 or so when the system it used to facilitate multiplayer ceased to exist.

The game with friends vs with NPCs is little different. The only pain was when multiple people instinctively pushed pause at the same time and rapidly paused and unpaused the game - but that could be handled with adequate auto-pause options.

The new conversions have had to do a *ton* of work because the infrastructure to get the game to actually play as it used to in multiplayer is kind of a nightmare, because the original games relied on directX to do all of their internet handling, which isn't something directx even does anymore, so you either have to do a *ton* of fiddling with your router and use a service like Hamachi to set up a network, or hope Beamdog has sussed everything out correctly and your hardware and internet play nice.

I attempted to play BGEE on multiplayer but had major latency issues so I just chalked it up to having awful internet - which I do.
    ProontQuartzRAM021
  • LeokostaLeokosta Member Posts: 73
    Unfortunally, its not just Mp that is broken. SP has ridiculus UI, journal and quest bugs. As said above, the game was released on 2012. You can minimize the issues with unnoficial patches and mods, but for one of the greatest games/series of all time its insulting. And then, there was the infamous SOD, that the writting alone is ligt years worst than original, and that is said without entering the S**T SWJ controversy. Sorry for the bad english, but I wanted just to blow it off my chest.
    thelovebat
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    There are some specific issues associated with MP, but with experience those can be got round pretty easily. The issue of the game pausing constantly for instance is associated with the game trying to play a movie (particularly sunrise/sunset), so if you rest, do an area transition or otherwise make time pass that will stop. Like other points you make those issues are endemic to MP rather than specific to the EE, i.e. the movies issue was a problem in vanilla BG (actually it was probably worse as you needed to know how to adjust the ini file individually for host and client in order to minimise the problem - if you couldn't do that the game would just freeze entirely).
    ThacoBellStummvonBordwehrProontAerakar
    it doesn't matter. He now refuses to play the game with me. Beamdog's crap patches have ruined it for me.
    i really am fed up. Thanks a lot for ruining one of my favorite games beamdog.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    At least the single-player is working great.
    StummvonBordwehrRaduziel
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    @Doubledimas I actually didn't find out in the end. I've been busy moving, so I haven't really had time to play.
    Doubledimas
    he got fed up due to the constant bugs.