Skip to content

Anyone here play Legend of Grimrock I or II?

TawmisTawmis Member Posts: 120
Curious if anyone did those dungeon crawls with (some crazy) riddles?

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    I played it on the iPad. It was fun for the most part, but the spell casting system was annoying (having to remember finger swipe combinations).
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    They are infinitely more playable than the games that inspired them (those being Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder). I'd say they're as successful at replicaring the genre they are paying homage to as Pillars of Eternity is to the Infinity Engine.
  • TawmisTawmis Member Posts: 120

I played it on the iPad. It was fun for the most part, but the spell casting system was annoying (having to remember finger swipe combinations).

I originally bought it for the PC (LOGI), but also got it on the iPad/iPhone. The iPad/iPhone is _infinitely_ more difficult, because of the spells (as you said) but also the timing thing was difficult - like early on when you press button then have to run through the wall behind you that opens for a split second. The PC version is "easier" in that regard.

They are infinitely more playable than the games that inspired them (those being Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder). I'd say they're as successful at replicaring the genre they are paying homage to as Pillars of Eternity is to the Infinity Engine.

I agree. It took everything that was good about those classics and made it better. And the fact that they included an editor, similar to the NWN toolset - so that people could do mods and dungeons - added to the flavor of the game.
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    I was never a fan of these kind of Dungeon Crawlers, but I did have a bit of fun with Grimrock I. Never finished it though, will probably get back to it eventually. The fact that you have different races from the typical fantasy elves/dwarves/orcs really pleases me, it has minotaurs! :D
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Tawmis said:

I originally bought it for the PC (LOGI), but also got it on the iPad/iPhone. The iPad/iPhone is _infinitely_ more difficult, because of the spells (as you said) but also the timing thing was difficult - like early on when you press button then have to run through the wall behind you that opens for a split second. The PC version is "easier" in that regard.
    I ended up running a party with no spellcasters (2 warriors and 2 rogues) because of the spellcasting mechanic.

I also wish they had enabled installing mods on LoG on iOS (I understand that the editor wasn't included for iOS, but it would have been nice if user-created content could be added to the iOS version).
    Dev6 said:

I was never a fan of these kind of Dungeon Crawlers, but I did have a bit of fun with Grimrock I. Never finished it though, will probably get back to it eventually. The fact that you have different races from the typical fantasy elves/dwarves/orcs really pleases me, it has minotaurs! :D

I love Minotaurs, as well! Richard A. Knaak made me love them more with his (Dragonlance) story "Legend of Huma" and "Kaz the Minotaur."

In LOGII, they introduce yet another new race - Ratlings, which is pretty cool.

Tawmis said:

I ended up running a party with no spellcasters (2 warriors and 2 rogues) because of the spellcasting mechanic.

I also wish they had enabled installing mods on LoG on iOS (I understand that the editor wasn't included for iOS, but it would have been nice if user-created content could be added to the iOS version).
    Did you manage to beat the game with no spell casters? Some of those fights can be tough - and I've found once a spellcaster gets up to casting bigger spells - they were dealing the most damage (even over my Fighters).
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    im playing grimrock 1 right now its super fun
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    The reason both Grimrock games are so successful is that they bring actual decent gameplay and interface interaction to a genre that has, frankly, never had it. DOS-era games were in this weird era where the computer mouse had just taken off. It was a constant balance between keyboard commands and really wonky, floating mouse control. Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder are ingenious level design-wise, but they are horribly obtuse from a control standpoint (especially the former). Plus, Grimrock's premise is simple and perfect. You are a prisoner who has been exiled to a mountain prison. The sequel adds the ambition of being stranded on a whole island where your "host" is basically playing a game with you. It doesn't require alot of story, so it doesn't bother to extrapolate on that area of the game.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I've been thinking about buying one of them, but I feel the starting curve is a bit steep. I might be mistaken though. I do love Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back so I think I need to play Legend of Grimrock at some point.

im playing grimrock 1 right now its super fun

jjstraka34 already nailed it - LOGI is a lot of fun, but LOGII opens up quite a bit more, I feel. But I also feel LOGII is ... more difficult. There's... underwater portions, where you need to go do something... and if there's a monster in the water, there's only a few weapons that work (like you can't swing a sword, club, etc, while underwater... you can only use throwing things and specific water based weapons, like tridents...) So... that part gets bad... especially if you're in a narrow path, and a creature blocks your way, and your oxygen supply is running low...

The reason both Grimrock games are so successful is that they bring actual decent gameplay and interface interaction to a genre that has, frankly, never had it. DOS-era games were in this weird era where the computer mouse had just taken off. It was a constant balance between keyboard commands and really wonky, floating mouse control. Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder are ingenious level design-wise, but they are horribly obtuse from a control standpoint (especially the former). Plus, Grimrock's premise is simple and perfect. You are a prisoner who has been exiled to a mountain prison. The sequel adds the ambition of being stranded on a whole island where your "host" is basically playing a game with you. It doesn't require alot of story, so it doesn't bother to extrapolate on that area of the game.

Yeah, both LOGI and LOGII have an intro as to how you end up where you are, but there's not much beyond that. I literally started writing my own "fanfic" (and at the same time giving myself a writing challenge) to explain how my characters end up where they end up - and also take the time to explain how some things work in the game (though the story). You can, if you're really bored, check out Destiny's Chance. (It's not finished; as in I have not beat LOGII so it never got an ending... yet).
    Wilbur said:

I've been thinking about buying one of them, but I feel the starting curve is a bit steep. I might be mistaken though. I do love Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back so I think I need to play Legend of Grimrock at some point.

If you enjoy dungeon crawls, with some riddles tossed in (and some things that require specific timing), then I'd recommend it. :)
    If you want to purchase Legend of Grimrock I, now is a good time. It's on sale at GoG for a greatly reduced price! https://www.gog.com/game/legend_of_grimrock?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=20180109_ny_resolution_1&utm_term=EN
    Oh - and LOGII is also on sale...
    https://www.gog.com/game/legend_of_grimrock_2