Skip to content

Toolset very slow to open properties on placeables (Windows 10)

This is an issue that seemed to be popping up for several people I know (and myself) on Windows 10. It takes 10-15 seconds or longer for the object properties menu to open. I was reminded of it because someone on Discord mentioned having the same problem last night. It seems to afflict the NWN:EE toolset too just as badly. I'm going to see how it does on my Windows 7 work laptop later to see how it compares.

Does anyone know what causes this and if there's any kind of solution? The huge lag in opening the menus gets tedious. It would be really nice if NWN:EE (eventually) fixed the glitchy issues with the toolset in Windows 10.
scruffyladSnafulator

Comments

• GlassmelterGlassmelter Member Posts: 38
    Yes, I'm having this problem too. Sometimes, I even have to go down into the task bar and click the toolset icon to get the window to pop up at all. I'm using Windows 10 as well.
  • ProphetSwordProphetSword Member Posts: 43
    As I recall, it has always been slow. I think it was even slow on Windows XP.
  • FeardainFeardain Member Posts: 12
    Once the toolset will be loadable as a 64bit these sort of issues should go away.
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    Feardain said:

Once the toolset will be loadable as a 64bit these sort of issues should go away.

32bit has nothing to do with this. I'm not sure what the cause is (guessing missing 2da caching for CNWRules), but it definitely isn't lack of memory, or lack of general purpose registers - the only two benefits 64bit brings.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2018

Yes, I'm having this problem too. Sometimes, I even have to go down into the task bar and click the toolset icon to get the window to pop up at all. I'm using Windows 10 as well.

I have this identical issue - having to click on the taskbar. I noticed it seems to begin occurring if I open the properties window by clicking on the placeable in the area drop down menu on the left side of the area viewer port.

I have tried setting the toolset toolset to run under "high" priority. This greatly reduced the amount of time it takes to actually open the placeable properties window, but had no impact on the other issue.

One other issue I've noticed:

Models do not render in the viewport for the Preview Window. If you hover over the window, they flicker into existence, but quickly disappear again.
  • ZwerkulesZwerkules Member Posts: 112
    The properties window always took rather long to open, but nowhere near the time it does on Windows 10. This has nothing to do with the EE though, the problem is the same with older versions. I also saw people mention that for them the property window sometimes opens behind the toolset window. This is also not a problem that EE introduced, it is the same with 1.69.
    tsunami282dunahan
  • virusmanvirusman Member, Developer Posts: 173
    edited February 2018
    This is because the Toolset populates the combo boxes in Scripts tab, and inserting thousands of scripts into every single one of them takes a few seconds (every insertion sends a message to the underlying Win32 control). No solution other than disabling script autocompletion has been found so far.
    ZwerkulesSherincalldunahan
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    Hrm.. Deferring the delay to until you switch to the scripts tab is a simple way to fix most cases. People _usually_ don't care about the scripts.
  • HimmelweissHimmelweiss Member Posts: 72
    virusman said:

This is because the Toolset populates the combo boxes in Scripts tab, and inserting thousands of scripts into every single one of them takes a few seconds (every insertion sends a message to the underlying Win32 control). No solution other than disabling script autocompletion has been found so far.

And where exactly do you turn "script autocompletion" off? I can't find it
  • BalanorBalanor Member Posts: 176
    I'm pretty sure he's referring to what he did when he wrote the NWNTX application for NWN 1.69. There is no out-of-the-box option to turn script autocompletion off in the EE toolset.
    Yes, I'm referring to NWNTX. I think there is no event handler for tab switches, so hooking that from NWNTX isn't possible.
    dunahan
  • FinalStandFinalStand Member Posts: 87
    Same here, on windows 7.

I'd like to see that as an option in EE toolset, to be able to disable it. I would even question how useful it is. If there are hundreds or thousands of scripts, it doesn't help much and will probably open up script/manager any way.

Ok *sad face*

But if that is really the reason why the toolset is so super slow i seriously want it disabled ASAP :D
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited February 2018
    Errrm, I'm not noticing this. Quite the contrary in fact. I run a dual boot win 10/win 7 PC. With 1.69 on win 7 32 bit it takes upwards of 30 seconds to open any properties. With EE on win 10 64 bit it takes around 5 seconds. Remember this is on the same hardware. Is it maybe a hardware problem and not so much a software one? FWIW my processor is an i5-4590 quad core running at 3.3 gig and I only have 8 gig of memory.

TR
    30 seconds??? How do you work with that?
    As I mentioned, it makes tens of thousands of system calls to the controls, so it largely depends on the OS, not the hardware. If you compare both 1.69 and EE on the same system, I think there will be no difference.
    30 seconds??? How do you work with that?
    As I mentioned, it makes tens of thousands of system calls to the controls, so it largely depends on the OS, not the hardware. If you compare both 1.69 and EE on the same system, I think there will be no difference.

@virusman Re. 30 seconds. If that was what I had to work with, I just coped (read "war and peace", drank a gallon of coffee, etc. :) )

Re. Compare on same system - I thought I just did...

TR
    I meant operating system, of course. That matters a lot more than the hardware.
    edited February 2018
    it takes 5-10 seconds here at most, but it drives me nuts...

But 30 Seconds? holy s... i would totally freak out and rage quit :D
    EE on win 10 64 bit is by far the fastest I've had. My only problem is that most of my tools are still on win 7 (play 2 at least hands of spider solitaire on my phone while that boots)...

Or to misquote a well known song "So how can you tell me your load is so slow..."

TR
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    Which is why both game and toolset need a massive optimisation.
    The 8164 update released today really addresses a number of the main toolset performance issues I was having. Double-clicking on a placeable to open its properties (or using the "old fashioned way" of right-clicking and going to properties) takes a mere 2-3 seconds on a Windows 10 machine. After that, you can even click on the Scripts tab and it immediately works - no more waiting another [X] minutes to see the scripts on a placeable either.

Also, I just have to say I love that you can left-click on a placeable now and it won't drop to ground level, and that you can undo placeable moves.

While the updated compiler still can't handle some of the scripts in my module, all-in-all, 8164 is a really good update for NWN toolset users.
    If there are still issues with scripts, please file a bug on Redmine with a sample mod.
    I'm willing to share the complex scripts that still cause the compiler to crash (abnormal program termination), but not on the public Redmine site since anyone could download them and possibly use them to exploit the features on our PW for which they are coded. I know I'm probably being a bit too paranoid, but is there a way instead to privately submit a bug report to Beamdog with a sample mod and attached scripts, instead?
    There is a limit of 64 includes per script (counting recursively), and it may crash if one of your scripts includes more than that.
    shadguydunahan
    That's the problem then.