Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    @Pantalion Just wondering which mod introduces the Sahguagin Chieftain etc.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137

@Pantalion Just wondering which mod introduces the Sahguagin Chieftain etc.

BG1NPC. Special quest requires Kivan in your party at night just south of Shoal.

Also adds a quest for Xan which features six decently high level mercenaries with bows, three slavers, some friendly targets you need to keep alive that keep you from using AOEs against them, and scripting that means they will continue to attack you normally despite being the target of two horror spells (not that I'm bitter).

Also in both quests if the NPC in question dies then the quest either breaks or fails, which is nightmarish for the aforementioned Xan quest. I'm sure there's a few other NPC specific quests in there too.

Also conversation content, plot, characterisation, and all that jazz.
    StummvonBordwehrAerakarlolien
    @Pantalion Sounds simultaneously bad and good.

Since I have that mod installed, I could try it. It would mean dumping an NPC which would probably have to be Gavin since he thinks that the sun shines out of the backside of my PC. I might finish the quest that I am dealing with first though. I have just started on the Section HQ in Beregost which if successful will furnish me with both gold and equipment.
    Pantalion
    edited January 2018
    @Pantalion Never heard of Aura and Jinn before. Are they mod NPCs?

EDIT

I've already found Aura. She's here: :)
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/65891/npc-mod-aura-a-gnome-artificer-npc-for-bg-ee-sod-v0-8-1/p1

Google didn't find Jinn though. :(

I'm also wondering where Fay came from.

That ambush after meeting the demon knight took me by surprise too. Fortunately they aren't too powerful.
    A potion of freedom makes Tristan unt Isolde quite easy to deal with.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    Pantalion
    edited January 2018

I'm also wondering where Fay came from.

Sorry, missed this, Fay is part of the Jini mod. http://forums.blackwyrmlair.net/index.php?showtopic=5365

It would help you google it if I spelled it right, I guess?
    Grond0JuliusBorisovlolien
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2018
    The regular Ninja are level 9 Fighter -> 12 Shadowdancer duals which are True Neutral, have Grand Mastery in Scimitar, three potions of invisibility, spawn right next to the party, and have two Poison Weapon uses. They use +1 Darts and +1 Ninjato.

The Elite Ninja are exactly the same, except they also drop a fireball on themselves when they die. They spawn in threes, start invisible, and become invisible once more every round with their potions.
    They use Poison Weapon to deal poison damage to bypass Stoneskins and Mirror Image.
    They spawn on party members, so positioning is worthless.

WTF. I can tell you for certain that I do not recall adding fighter levels or Poison Weapon in the ninjas’ arsenal (the potion of explosion is intentional though). I tested the fight multiple times with the right enemy stats and I’ve never had trouble when familiar with the gimmicks. So that means another mod must’ve changed their abilities somehow.

Edit: Okay. I can see the same stats, though I can tell you the overtuned numbers are a mistake. I think I probably copied over some old files from when the fight wasn't supposed to be a gimmick (as in, the enemies attack you in the open). I apologize, this needs to be fixed.
    Wise_Grimwald

The regular Ninja are level 9 Fighter -> 12 Shadowdancer duals which are True Neutral, have Grand Mastery in Scimitar, three potions of invisibility, spawn right next to the party, and have two Poison Weapon uses. They use +1 Darts and +1 Ninjato.

The Elite Ninja are exactly the same, except they also drop a fireball on themselves when they die. They spawn in threes, start invisible, and become invisible once more every round with their potions.
    They use Poison Weapon to deal poison damage to bypass Stoneskins and Mirror Image.
    They spawn on party members, so positioning is worthless.

WTF. I can tell you for certain that I do not recall adding fighter levels or Poison Weapon in the ninjas’ arsenal (the potion of explosion is intentional though). I tested the fight multiple times with the right enemy stats and I’ve never had trouble when familiar with the gimmicks. So that means another mod must’ve changed their abilities somehow.
    Sigh. I have no idea what would cause that. Here's what I got in my game:

The only mods installing AFTER Aura were Dark Horizons and Tweaks, so I'll try swapping Dark Horizon and Aura's order around and see if it fixes anything. I don't think it could be Tweaks that would be doing it.

More importantly, does that mean my last run is still valid? :D
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    @Pantalion

It is possible, likely even, that the fault is mine and my memory is just failing me. I go through a lot of back-and-forth changes on numbers and stats and it’s hard to remember what exactly I settled on. Maybe I just felt sadistic one day and bumped up the levels for s**ts and giggles and forgot about it. Strange though... I know I toned down the actual numbers at least once.
    Wise_Grimwald

@Pantalion

It is possible, likely even, that the fault is mine and my memory is just failing me. I go through a lot of back-and-forth changes on numbers and stats and it’s hard to remember what exactly I settled on. Maybe I just felt sadistic one day and bumped up the levels for s**ts and giggles and forgot about it. Strange though... I know I toned down the actual numbers at least once.

Yeah, I just wiped my install and a clean install of just Aura version 0.8.1 gives the things above.

At least I don't have Jini installed anymore for my next games.
    Wise_Grimwald