Skip to content

Journal wont update (BG2EE)

4verse4verse Member Posts: 26
edited April 2016 in Troubleshooting
I get the journal pop ups, but my journal does not update in bg2ee - i already got quite some pop ups but my journal is completely void.

Comments

• 4verse4verse Member Posts: 26
    Any reaction from a dev?
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    Can you zip and attach an affected save please @4verse
    here you go
    Gate70
    @Gate70 file see above. but all my saves are affected of course since is started the game :-)
    I can see journal entries in your save (although I can 'lose' them if I enable string references, and they remain lost until I restart the game)

If you have string references enabled by default in your LUA file could you try disabling them
    With the game closed, edit baldur.LUA so it has the disabled value
    Disabled: SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Strref On','0')
    Enabled: SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Strref On','1')
    Save the LUA, launch the game and check

If you still get nothing, can you advise any other options which might be relevant. e.g. using alternate renderer, game language other than English, etc.
    Thanks
    @Gate70 actually i was talking about the journal tab, which is void. i can see my quests just fine.
    Ah, ok. Will have a look
    thank you!
    edited April 2016
    Would you be able to create a public report on Redmine please so there is visibility of the issue, I'll then link the internal report to that. Content could be something as simple as

> 1. Start a new game with the Abdel pregen.
    > 2. Skip the opening cutscene (Esc), and respond to Imoen (all 3's).
    > 3. Once the journal pop-up closes, open the Journal (J).
    > 4. Switch between the Journal and Quests entries.

> Observed
    > There is no journal entry.
    >
    > Expected
    > Journal entries should be shown.

Link describing how to use Redmine
    http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/49845/how-to-report-bugs

Thanks
    edited April 2016
    @Gate70 sorry for the late reply. job got me busy. i added the redmine report: http://redmine.beamdog.com/issues/23257

hope i did everything correct. if not, plz let me know, i will correct asap.

kind regards
  • ElmaronElmaron Member Posts: 7
    I'm suffering from the same bug. Journal entries like the ones in the following image no longer appear (though the pop-up box does appear and I get a message saying "Your Journal has been updated").

Old journal

New journal

I've checked the .lua file and I don't have any of the following lines in it

Disabled: SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Strref On','0')
    Enabled: SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Strref On','1')

Should I also make a report?
  • dtpnilssondtpnilsson Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1
    What's the status on this bug?

I believe I have this bug as well. Playing BG2EE SoA, so far I have 0 entries for chapter 1, 7 entries for chapter 2, 1 entry for chapter 3.

As described, the pop up always appears, but the journal is almost never updated.
    The Quest part of the journal is also a mess with many entries stating 'No Objective Text'. Sometimes, black and red text appears, sometimes only black or only red. Perhaps the journal entries have somehow snuck over to the quest entries?

Thanks
    Daniel
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
    Gate70
  • NikomakkosNikomakkos Member Posts: 44
    edited January 2018
    I have a big problem with the journal too. I have the Steam version of BG2EE and I intalled it less than a month ago so it has the latest patch, 2.3.67.3.

The journal has a very hard time updating itself. Sometimes I'm not sure if a journal popup was a quest entry or not, but it seems that it's mostly the 'Journal' part of the journal, and not the 'Quest' part, which has problems since it is largely empty (there is currently only one entry in it and I just started chapter 3).

Of course I would have no idea if there are missing journal popups, but there is still a problem with the journal popups. I seem to remember having the same problem in the later half of the first game, BGEE. And this problem has to do with quest entries (and possibly 'Journal' entries as well). The messages I was getting in the journal popups were obviously at least one step behind the progression.

I haven't documented what has happened with my journal exactly, e.g. I can't tell you the ratio of quest popups that were behind or which quests had this problem. But I believe the problem is not only to do with the journal part (although mostly) but also the quest part.

This is a serious bug, I would say. It doesn't seem to be game breaking but it is certainly very immersion breaking.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Nikomakkos The issue is filed in https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/23257 , it is submitted and is known to the developers.
    Nikomakkos
    Jesus, it's issue number 23257. :o
    Is everybody just playing the game without a working journal?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

It varies from game to game. For me it works about 80-90% of the time. Other people have more problems. The journal just sometimes wigs out.
    Nikomakkos
    ThacoBell said:

It varies from game to game. For me it works about 80-90% of the time. Other people have more problems. The journal just sometimes wigs out.
    Ok thanks for that info. Damn, now I don't know if I should try importing the same game again from BG1 and starting back from Irenicus' dungeon or wait till the patch comes out. I'm not sure if I can bother playing the game with this threat looming over. This sucks, I really hope they fix this.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Its not that bad. It doesn't really break anything in game.
    Yeah, now my entire journal for Chapter 3 has one empty quest entry and nothing else. This is game breaking for me. I can't believe they've allowed this to go unattended for 2+ years.
    I decided to hold off playing the game until the patch comes out. So I sure hope they fix it. I just bought the game to continue my story from BG1, playing these games for the first time. I have to have the journal working.
  • WitchfinderWitchfinder Member Posts: 26
    It has been like this every time I've played BG2:EE, since 2014. There is one journal entry specifically that I've always wanted to know what it says, because it seems so weird. It's after you've gone to see Aran Linvail (the first time I believe), and the journal pop-up says something like: "... or Beshaba." I just wanna know what the hell that is all about, but it has never been anywhere to be found in my journal. Never in the game is there any mention of any "Beshaba".
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited February 2020
    It has been like this every time I've played BG2:EE, since 2014. There is one journal entry specifically that I've always wanted to know what it says, because it seems so weird. It's after you've gone to see Aran Linvail (the first time I believe), and the journal pop-up says something like: "... or Beshaba." I just wanna know what the hell that is all about, but it has never been anywhere to be found in my journal. Never in the game is there any mention of any "Beshaba".

I have paid Gaelan's fee and learned that his allies are none other than the Shadow Thieves. I am to meet the Shadowmaster, Aran Linvail, in their headquarters, a large orange brick building in the Docks District. What will happen after that, only Tymora knows.

Or Beshaba. But things are starting to look up, if only slightly.

Beshaba is actually mentioned a few times, especially in the drow dialogues.

Or in History of the Fateful Coin:

Old tales tell that luck plays a crucial role in each person's life. When each newborn baby enters into the realms, Tymora flips a coin formed from the remnants of the original goddess of luck, Tyche. Beshaba calls it in the air—the moon (heads) or the cloak (tails). If Beshaba is right, that person is cursed with misfortune for the rest of his or her days. If she's wrong, Lady Luck smiles on that child for the rest of his or her life. For some rare beings, the coin lands edge on—and these luckless few can forge their own fates, for they have more freedom over their destinies than the powers themselves.
  • WitchfinderWitchfinder Member Posts: 26
    Thanks, I finally got to read it! :D God I wish the journal would work, it looks as though the stuff being written there is much more interesting than in the quest log.
    JuliusBorisov