Skip to content

Better Stat Drain (STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHA)

semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
edited January 2018 in General Modding
I've long been fascinated by the Strength drain effect of Called Shot, the Dexterity drain of Haer'dalis' Chaos Blade, and the Intelligence drain of the mind flayer attack from Shapechange. They were a very unique method of killing enemies that bypassed immunities.

Then EE removed the exploit by making plot-immune critters impossible to kill via stat drain. This prevented the player from accidentally breaking the game by killing a character played a critical role in the plot, but it also made stat drain useless against all kinds of bosses. One of the coolest ways of winning a fight had suddenly become rather limited.

This mod changes that. It doesn't allow you to kill plot-immune critters, but it does allow you to win a fight against one just by using stat drain. If you reduce any ability score of a plot-immune critter to 1, they will drop to 1 HP and trigger any dialogues or scripts or cutscenes that are supposed to trigger when you defeat them (trolls will fall down; Kangaxx will transform; Irenicus in Spellhold will flee; Abazigal will give his death dialogue; etc.). Kudos to @subtledoctor for making this mod possible.

It also lets you earn XP from stat drain kills, but only for vanilla items and spells (mod-introduced methods are unaffected): Called Shot, mind flayer attacks, the Chaos Blade, and Kachiko's Wakizashi. Basically, I just rigged them to set HP to 1 and then deal a bit of magic damage to finish them off whenever their ability scores got low enough.
Post edited by semiticgoddess on
RaduzielStummvonBordwehrMateoFrozenGrammarsaladFlashburn

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Does it provides XP?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Raduziel: In the future, I might rig stat drain to grant XP. But that would involve modifying all forms of stat drain the player might use, which takes a little more work. I could just modify Called Shot, mind flayer INT drain, the Chaos Blade, and Kachiko's Wakizashi, but it would take some clever work in WeiDu to cover mod-introduced forms of stat drain as well.
    Raduziel
    @Raduziel: Turns out it was easier than I thought. I just updated the mod. All four vanilla means of dealing stat drain now give XP for kills. Mod-introduced stat drain options still give no XP.
    Raduziel
    Hold on, I've got a bug to sort out.
    Never mind... my Archer/Mage's clone was casting the instant death spell with every hit on Irenicus, but since there were some unrelated oddities with Simulacrum and Charname was behaving normally, I think the problem was just with Simulacrum and not the XP component.
    Raduziel
    Hah! It was a typo in the WeiDu code. I put a 3 instead of a 2 and made all plot-immune characters instantly kill themselves the moment they were attacked.

Fixed!
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957

Hah! It was a typo in the WeiDu code. I put a 3 instead of a 2 and made all plot-immune characters instantly kill themselves the moment they were attacked.

Fixed!

Sounds like the easiest game ever.

"I'm so powerful and awesomesauce that the toughest of enemies suicide the moment I touch them."
    Raduziel