Skip to content

Allow Custom Spellbooks and fixing Presitage class spellbooks.

On the trello input board this is the number one and three most voted on boards. Unless you consider it one issue in than it remains number one only.

I believe the two are related and should be considered one issue. Dragon Disciple and Pale Master do not follow their counterparts in pen and paper as neither class gain their spell casting abilities. As such on the Trello boards I voted for both. Naturally of the two allowing custom spell books is more important. If the first is allowed, a Modder can fix the second and then add new classes as well. As such I request the topic (and votes) be combined into one card.

Please @JuliusBorisov you are our only hope. #YesThisIsAStarWarsReference.

Comments

• ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    edited December 2017
    The only way I see beamdog making custom casters, is to make a separate custom .2da that matches back to the spells.2da with just columns of the custom caster they can cast. Then change the class.2da spellcaster column to be able to read a 2 for custom caster and if it a 2 in that column(use custom .2da column matching the class name, so you can match up with spells). Would have to make some engine changes to link this all together.

Could we use the 2 from caster to make the engine look at a custom 2da with all columns of your setting shadoow? I just thinking for ease of use for creating the custom spellbooks?
  • ShadooowShadooow Member Posts: 402
    The bitflag I used has 2 values open. This means that if BD would reused SpellCaster collumn (and fixed the problem where engine reads any values higher than 1 as 1) then with first bit reserved for "is it a caster" there would still be one more bit for "is using custom 2da".

ie.:
    [01] 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 - Is SpellCaster [02] 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 - Is using custom 2da for spelllist population [04] 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 - Restrict Spellbook [Show Only Known/ALL (1/0)] [08] 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 - Spontaneous/Prepared 1/0 [10] 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 - Select domains [20] 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 - Select spell school [40] 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 - Can learn scrolls [80] 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 - Arcane/Divine (1/0)

Though - this might not be needed at all. If the class is SpellCaster and the class is not Wiz/Sorc/Cler/Druid/Bard/Pal/Rang then it can be linked to the new custom 2da automatically, could it not?
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    edited December 2017
    Shadooow
    Though - this might not be needed at all. If the class is SpellCaster and the class is not Wiz/Sorc/Cler/Druid/Bard/Pal/Rang then it can be linked to the new custom 2da automatically, could it not?

Yeah, that along the lines of what I was thinking.
  • Sunssarathi2029Sunssarathi2029 Member Posts: 32
    I thing the system used by Shadooow is best. We need ability to specify things like spontaneous spellcasting and Spellbook ability to properly build new classes.
  • raz651raz651 Member Posts: 175
    I am not sure why the RDD and Palemaster were added to the game as they are not part of the 3.0 rule system. They were added later when 3.5 came out. So there must have be an Adaptation of these to classes with the approval of WoTC and work as intended. (but that doesn't mean they can't the feature you are asking for can not be added)
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    raz651 said:

I am not sure why the RDD and Palemaster were added to the game as they are not part of the 3.0 rule system. They were added later when 3.5 came out. So there must have be an Adaptation of these to classes with the approval of WoTC and work as intended. (but that doesn't mean they can't the feature you are asking for can not be added)

PM and RDD should be like PNP. This means that you should be able to be an silver dragon disciple for example and PM should give more CL(caster level).
  • ProontProont Member Posts: 141
    edited January 2018
    raz651 said:

Dragon Disciples and Pale Masters were added in Tome and Blood which is a 3.0 book. They got revised later in 3.5.

raz651 said:

PM and RDD should be like PNP. This means that you should be able to be an silver dragon disciple for example and PM should give more CL(caster level).
    I agree. It would make PM a better option for Sorcerers and Bards.
    Proont said:

raz651 said:

Dragon Disciples and Pale Masters were added in Tome and Blood which is a 3.0 book. They got revised later in 3.5.

raz651 said:

I agree. It would make PM a better option for Sorcerers and Bards.
    In core nwn there are no prestige class for sorc/wiz that is viable. "but PM have immunity to critical and gives more AC/HP", this doesn't worth 10 CL. PM and RDD is only used by melee characters.
    Dragonheart Mage should be added to NWN:EE, since casters have few options of prestige classes and no viable options. https://dndtools.net/classes/dragonheart-mage/
  • RifkinRifkin Member Posts: 141

In core nwn there are no prestige class for sorc/wiz that is viable. "but PM have immunity to critical and gives more AC/HP", this doesn't worth 10 CL. PM and RDD is only used by melee characters.
    Dragonheart Mage should be added to NWN:EE, since casters have few options of prestige classes and no viable options. https://dndtools.net/classes/dragonheart-mage/

This is simply untrue. Critical immunity is a huge bonus, probably the largest bonus that a prestige class can offer.

When you have critical immunity, spells like "Epic Warding" turn you into a literal juggernaut. Pair this with the games 'damage on hit' defensive spells (ala death armor, fire shield and mestils acid sheath), and you become something very foolish to attempt to melee attack at all.

Pale Master is not only limited to pure sorcerer/bard/wizard builds either. The mixture of another class can make them quite a force to be reckoned with. Take for example a Fighter/Wizard/PM, or Cleric/Bard/PM.

Now, I'm not saying you should not get spell levels with Pale Master, but I'm disagreeing that the class is underpowered.
    edited January 2018
    Rifkin said:

This is simply untrue. Critical immunity is a huge bonus, probably the largest bonus that a prestige class can offer.

When you have critical immunity, spells like "Epic Warding" turn you into a literal juggernaut. Pair this with the games 'damage on hit' defensive spells (ala death armor, fire shield and mestils acid sheath), and you become something very foolish to attempt to melee attack at all.

Pale Master is not only limited to pure sorcerer/bard/wizard builds either. The mixture of another class can make them quite a force to be reckoned with. Take for example a Fighter/Wizard/PM, or Cleric/Bard/PM.

Now, I'm not saying you should not get spell levels with Pale Master, but I'm disagreeing that the class is underpowered.
    All prestige classes designed for casters ARE USELESS FOR CASTERS, RDD = good for melee players. PM = good for melee players(...) Lets put an Wiz 15 VS a Wiz 5/PM 10 or even a Wiz 10/PM 10. The wiz 15 had access to Premonition and his defensive spells can absorve 150 pts of damage, compared to 100 from wiz 10/pm 10,(according to nwn wiki - premonition : This grants him damage reduction 30/+5, and absorbs 10 points of melee damage per caster level before collapsing) due his CL, ohhh wait. The Wiz 10/pm 10 will not get premonition, he will be limited to tier 5 spells. And the Wiz 15 will be able to easily dispel the wiz 10/pm 10 defensive spells. A greater dispelling save will be :

d20+15(CL) VS 12 + 10.

Is mostly likely to dispel while the Wiz 10/PM 10 will few options do dispel the Wiz 15 defenses...

5 caster levels difference means 15 damage difference in elemental shield(d6 + 1/CL) + Mestil's acid sheath(d6 + 2/CL) Note that i an comparing 2 builds an CL difference of 5. To get critical immunity, you need spend 10 levels of PM. About Epic Warding, 10 CL with Epic Warding means +500 HP damage absorption. Caster Levels are very important to casters. If there are a 'feat' that make you 3x more vulnerable to critical, but gives 10 CL, this feat will be picked 9/10. Also, if you wanna go melee and have critical immunity, simple use Shapechange to a iron golem. Not only you will get Critical immunity, but will get +300 HP and other stuff ( nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Shapechange )

I honestly think that a Wizard 10/Pale Master 10 will be mostly likely to lose to an Wizard 13, but is more complex to explain why.

------------------------------------

And for melee characters, i think that there are better classes like Dwarven defender. 6/- DR and + 10 BAB seems very useful, mainly because it can't be dispelled and can't "fade" after absorbing X damage.
    Only a complement. About "critical immunity", isn't hard to find a eqquipment that gives crit immunity, i find this helm in a random chest in hotu

Helm

Even for a melee user, get 5 Wiz levels(meet PM requirement - cast lv 3 arcane spells) + 10 PM levels, only to get crit immunity that you can get easily from items seens a terrible idea. The unique viable class prestige class is RDD and RDD still too weak compared to PnP(can only be a read dragon) and is only good for melee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpQdA-YAJ3o

Only a complement. About "critical immunity", isn't hard to find a eqquipment that gives crit immunity, i find this helm in a random chest in hotu

Helm

Even for a melee user, get 5 Wiz levels(meet PM requirement - cast lv 3 arcane spells) + 10 PM levels, only to get crit immunity that you can get easily from items seens a terrible idea. The unique viable class prestige class is RDD and RDD still too weak compared to PnP(can only be a read dragon) and is only good for melee.

I don't believe that it is 'easily' gained from items. Most PW's will never give you an item with that property, and there are probably only about 3 items in the HotU campaign that give that. Keep in mind HotU is just one campaign, and is certainly not the litmus test for build competency.

I'm not looking to argue on this, but I will suggest that you attempt to play more than just the original campaigns before you make wide sweeping claims about character build strengths and weaknesses. This game is after all, more than the original campaigns.
    edited January 2018
    Rifkin said:

Helm

I don't believe that it is 'easily' gained from items. Most PW's will never give you an item with that property, and there are probably only about 3 items in the HotU campaign that give that. Keep in mind HotU is just one campaign, and is certainly not the litmus test for build competency.

I'm not looking to argue on this, but I will suggest that you attempt to play more than just the original campaigns before you make wide sweeping claims about character build strengths and weaknesses. This game is after all, more than the original campaigns.
    NWN was designed for SP and MP coop campaign, PVP is a part? Yes, but the game should't try to "balance" everything in therms of PVP. D&D 4.0 "failed" and was the most balanced D&D for PnP and failed because become too "Pen and Paper mmorpg". The fact that choices matter and you character can be very good against one enemy and terrible against others isn't present in the majority of RPGs. And lets talk about PVP. If i become a Lich or a Vampire, this should give advantages and disadvantages(undead weakness)

Can you show me a video of a Wizard 15 losing to a Wizard 10/ Pale Master 10? As i've said, no way that this can happen(except if Wiz 15 is AFK)
  • ThorssonThorsson Member Posts: 190
    What Undead weaknesses?
    Thorsson said:

What Undead weaknesses?

Holy Water :p
    raz651 said:

Thorsson said:

What Undead weaknesses?

Turn undead, some spells do more damage to undeads;;;
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    Spell slots also need to be softcoded. Maybe spell levels too, in order to have proper metamagic?
    edited January 2018

raz651 said:

Thorsson said:

What Undead weaknesses?

Turn Undead against a Lich? Apart from the fact that TU is pretty weak in any case, Liches get a +4 bonus against it.

I guess Holy Water was the intentional joke.

Some spells do more damage, some spells do less. Liches have defences against spells in any case.
    How about a list of advantages to a Lich, eh? (in addition to the +4 bonus vs Turn Undead)

HD d12
    Darkvision
    Immunity to all mind-affecting effects.
    Immunity to poison.
    Immunity to sleep.
    Immunity to paralysis.
    Immunity to stunning.
    Immunity to disease.
    Immunity to death effects.
    Immunity to critical hits.
    Immunity to nonlethal damage
    Immunity to ability drain.
    Immunity to energy drain.
    Immunity to damage to its physical scores (str, dex, con).
    Immunity to fatigue and exhaustion
    Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude Save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless)
    No need to breathe, eat or sleep.
    15/bludgeoning damage resistance.
    +5 Natural AC
    Immunity to cold.
    Immunity to electricity.
    Immunity to polymorph (except when cast on themselves).
    +2 Int, Wis and Cha
    +8 Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, (Sense Motive) and Spot.

NWN was designed for SP and MP coop campaign, PVP is a part? Yes, but the game should't try to "balance" everything in therms of PVP. D&D 4.0 "failed" and was the most balanced D&D for PnP and failed because become too "Pen and Paper mmorpg". The fact that choices matter and you character can be very good against one enemy and terrible against others isn't present in the majority of RPGs. And lets talk about PVP. If i become a Lich or a Vampire, this should give advantages and disadvantages(undead weakness)

Can you show me a video of a Wizard 15 losing to a Wizard 10/ Pale Master 10? As i've said, no way that this can happen(except if Wiz 15 is AFK)

NWN was designed for all of the available playing modes. That includes PW's, and of course PVP.

The game doesn't attempt to 'balance' anything, it's D&D, and it is incredibly unbalanced. That is just how D&D works. There is some semblance of "rock, paper, scissors" that happens, but there are undoubtedly more powerful builds and some classes are just all around weaker.

Why you go on to compare a weaker wizard in terms of spell casting vs a superior caster is a bit of a silly point to make. Wizard vs. Wizard, the guy with more spells, and access to higher level spells is always going to have an advantage. Player skill out of the question, this is just the nature of caster vs. caster match-ups. Dispel alone will allow the higher level/more spells per day caster able to lockdown the other weaker one.

That being said, let's propose another match-up: A level 40 Wizard vs. a Fighter/WM/Rogue, or a Level 30 Wizard/10 PM vs a Fighter/WM/Rogue... The Palemaster will win, where the 40 Wizard will likely be dev-critted and immediately disposed of. There are benefits and drawbacks to a lot of builds, so suggesting that Pale Master is underpowered because of a level 20 build is just disingenuous.

edited January 2018
    Thorsson said:

raz651 said:

Thorsson said:

What Undead weaknesses?

Turn Undead against a Lich? Apart from the fact that TU is pretty weak in any case, Liches get a +4 bonus against it.

I guess Holy Water was the intentional joke.

Some spells do more damage, some spells do less. Liches have defences against spells in any case.
    I was talking about Dread Necromancer at lv 20 VS sorcerer 20(in 3.5 or prc). In order to get the Lich "template", you lose a lot in versatility and the spell selection is too limited.
    Rifkin said:

NWN was designed for all of the available playing modes. That includes PW's, and of course PVP.

The game doesn't attempt to 'balance' anything, it's D&D, and it is incredibly unbalanced. That is just how D&D works. There is some semblance of "rock, paper, scissors" that happens, but there are undoubtedly more powerful builds and some classes are just all around weaker.

Why you go on to compare a weaker wizard in terms of spell casting vs a superior caster is a bit of a silly point to make. Wizard vs. Wizard, the guy with more spells, and access to higher level spells is always going to have an advantage. Player skill out of the question, this is just the nature of caster vs. caster match-ups. Dispel alone will allow the higher level/more spells per day caster able to lockdown the other weaker one.

That being said, let's propose another match-up: A level 40 Wizard vs. a Fighter/WM/Rogue, or a Level 30 Wizard/10 PM vs a Fighter/WM/Rogue... The Palemaster will win, where the 40 Wizard will likely be dev-critted and immediately disposed of. There are benefits and drawbacks to a lot of builds, so suggesting that Pale Master is underpowered because of a level 20 build is just disingenuous.

Of course the games tries to ballance. One example? How many rounds Time Stop works in dnd and how many seconds works in nwn? Other example? The limited amount of summons that you can have. In D&D a lv 20 Wizard specialized in necromancy can have 4 mummies, 2 wights, 14 ghouls, 66 skeletons if he spend 3 days creating this "army"( rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/79352/how-many-undead-of-each-type-can-you-cont ) About the wiz 30/10 pm be better against a "melee" character, i don't think so.

10 CL more means that your epic spell - epic warding will be able to absorb 500 more damage. And if a Wiz 30 have 20% of "grappling" against the melee character with Bigby's crushing hand, a Wiz 40 with more 10 CL so he will have 70%. In some servers that changes a lot the items and spells, pale master can be good, but this isn't 'core' nwn..
  • ildaronildaron Member Posts: 52
    While we discuss this, lets not forget to vote on the trello board to ensure that custom spellbooks are allowed as well as fixing prestige class spellbooks.

I personally would love the custom class spellbook to add a class like the Dragonsoul Heir (Same as DD) which increases the caster level.
    ildaron said:

I personally would love the custom class spellbook to add a class like the Dragonsoul Heir (Same as DD) which increases the caster level.

I bet you would. What's not to like about a class that advances your spellcasting and throws in lots of free goodies, eh? Well apart from game balance that is. I'm going off this idea.
  • ShadooowShadooow Member Posts: 402
    edited January 2018
    Thorsson said:

ildaron said:

I bet you would. What's not to like about a class that advances your spellcasting and throws in lots of free goodies, eh? Well apart from game balance that is. I'm going off this idea.
    Omg this thread turned to crap, what has balance to do with the suggestion? Why do you discuss what is balance and how it is relative? And whether is PM really useless to the casters or not?

It doesn't matter if the Pale Master class is actually useable in current state for casters or not (and if you ask me it is not very good at least if we are talking in classic singleplayer or low level multiplayer environment). Pale Master should give the caster level the same way it grants extra spell slots. Similarly, since PM gives extra spell slots to wizard, it should grant them to sorcerer (and bard although bard should not be able to become PM in PnP) too. What would be overpowered on that?

Furthermore, if some guy (ildaron) wants to make and play overpowered class what is wrong with that? It is his choice - and I don't see him pushing his overpowered class idea on us all unlike other guys in request threads.

All he and we all wants is the ability to make such class and do it without ugly workarounds. Do you have some problem with *that* Thorsson?

Plus, considering community patch nwnx plugin allowed this for 1.69 (and that it won't be possible to do again because of the new policy with client modifications) it would be nice to see it in core game...
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    I have no idea what ppl's personal beliefs and class preferences have to do with anything about the suggestion. If you don't like a class then don't allow a class, if you want a prc with a feat that lets you win the game then make it.

However caster progression to work properly is a much needed change, along with some amount of soft coding spell slots.
  • ildaronildaron Member Posts: 52
    Thorsson said:

ildaron said:

Because that would not be an official D&D class. I would also hazard to guess you are against Divine Soul (5th edition) they will have access to both the entire sorc spell list and divine. Welcome D&D the system is not balanced. ;)
    D&D was never meant to be a balanced system. It was meant to be a role playing system. Based upon roles that players took on to play. People used to fulfill roles of rounded out balanced parties to quest in a world full of magic and wonder of their imaginations.

There was a time where you didn't pick your race and class first. You rolled your stats and then had to pick a race and class you qualified for. There was no min maxing. You played the randomness you were dealt sort of speak. Only then did the benevolent dm step in for the sake of a well rounded party. Each class had a role and it was up to a player to fulfill that role.

Not sure when the everyone for themselves mentality entered into the game, but this is what ruins the roleplaying games fun factor. You don't have to be the most powerful character to enjoy the game.

(Just an old timers two copper)
    edited January 2018
    Thorsson said:

ildaron said:

If the game runs under 3.0 the game isn't balanced. Also, melee characters have prestige classes that increase your BAB and some times give a lot of good things like Damage Reduction. But there aren't viable classes for casters. No caster in world will ltrade CL for benefits that he can get from spells and items. D&D was designed to be a "simulation" of a phantasy world and everything is based in real life myths. Spells that insta kill on failed save, disarm, etc are all parts. No other RPG game have this.

There are 36541234163510654141685*10^23 RPGs that focus much more in balance and aren't based in D&D. NWN should be more closer to PnP that is possible. I know that be equal is impossible or at least very hard to be implemented. An example? How implement this spell?

Raise Island spell for 3.5
    source http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Raise_Island

My critique is that the games "tries" to balance and ends with a game more unbalanced and less D&D at the same time. One of the best PVP build IMHO is high SR(spell resistance) disarm monk. You have the best counter to casters(SR) and even if by some bad "dice rolls" you can't disarm your enemy, you still able to retreat at a insane speed.
    ildaron said:

Thorsson said:

ildaron said:

Because that would not be an official D&D class. I would also hazard to guess you are against Divine Soul (5th edition) they will have access to both the entire sorc spell list and divine. Welcome D&D the system is not balanced. ;)
    Well said. Dread Necromancer in 3.5 can use divine and arcane spells but can only use a small amount of spells,

• PlokPlok Member Posts: 106
    edited February 2018
    Can we have 1st class support for Theurges like Mystic Theurge, Arcane Hierophant and Ultimate Magus as well? You can almost kind of do it NWN 2 with some huge caveats.

NWN 2 handles prestige classes that advance spell casting by having a 2da file that maps feats to classes. So you would have a feat called "Eldritch Knight Spellcasting (Wizard)" and this feat would be referenced in the 2da file.

You can give a prestige class 2 bonus feats on 1st level to select 2 of these feats, but it breaks because NWN 2 will only ever let you pick new spells for one class at level up. This still allows you to make Theurges for classes that either know their whole list (Cleric/Druid/Paladin/Ranger) or Wizards (since they can learn spells from scrolls).

You *can* also advance spontaneous casters with it provided that you mix this class with one of the ones above. This spontaneous class also has to be above the other class in the classes.2da file... so basically your only options are Bard/any of above or Sorceror/Wizard.