Skip to content

New Campaigns by Beamdog

StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
edited January 2018 in General Discussions NWN:EE
The more I listen to those livestreams the more I conclude that they don’t want to create new modules to sell to public.
It seems that their focus is to create the ability for us to do it ourselves.

I also conclude that they actually haven’t begun even spitballing ideas for Beamdog modules if they were going to make them.

why is this my conclusion? Well they never mentioned that they have been actively mapping out a single new module.. They did mentioned how tight resources are for their current workload.

So My question is: is it not financially feasible to make modules to sell?

Comments

• cherryzerocherryzero Member Posts: 129
    I kind of got a different impression. I think that’s something they are interested in but just down the road a bit. First they want to clean up and enhance the engine, new content would come after that, and they would use it to introduce new game assets, like tiles.
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    Exactly! It is literally the very last thing they want to do.
    Maybe I am bummed by the video game market as of late.
  • cherryzerocherryzero Member Posts: 129
    I don't think you should be bummed out at all, but quite the opposite. It makes the most sense long term to get the engine in the best shape possible before adding new content. Think of the Aurora engine as the pipeline. Once it is established- or newly established- new content becomes the no brainier for continuing to monetize the game.

But it's almost impossible to do new sexier content that might appeal to a broader modern gaming base without updating the engine.

By going about it the way they are shows the intention of long term support as opposed to just doing a slight polish to get it working smoothly on modern systems and rolling it out with a new campaign for a quick cash grab.
  • RifkinRifkin Member Posts: 141
    Yes, I have to agree with cherryzero, let's not jump the gun here. We first need to clean up NWN, and also give the people who have kept this game alive for so long a little boon. The PW and Module creators have been toiling with the limitations of NWN for too long. They are the main reason that there is so much interest behind the NWN:EE, and also why NWN has been successful for so long.

Beamdog giving back to the community is the best thing they can do at this point, even if they fail to make more modules, you can rest assured the playerbase will not stop.
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    A new premium module or official campaign will be essential in highlighting what the EE can do, especially with the enhanced graphics engine. New content is needed to sell the game to new and returning players. And to inspire old players to make new modules.
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    You probably could have concluded that the focus was on ppl creating their own modules over 15 years ago.

A new premium module or official campaign will be essential in highlighting what the EE can do, especially with the enhanced graphics engine. New content is needed to sell the game to new and returning players. And to inspire old players to make new modules.

Yep but listening to interviews, it doesn’t sound like they have story content people on their staff. It has been two years since the last time they released new story content in anything. Right? They haven’t hired any writers, have they?

Also, you would think that Trent would have mentioned “yep, we are working on new campaigns as we speak”.
    I have to assume, they are not past the spitballing stage.

Because you are correct, a new campaign would highlight these new features, but I don’t think BM knows right now what nwn will look like when it is done.
    I am talking out of my ass but in all honesty I don’t have all the pieces to the puzzle.
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    Lets put it this way if they released a new module now it would release with no expansion of resources and features, plus most of those asking for it would probably not like it and criticize it for being more of the same.
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    Not sure I could know who all has what skills on Beamdog's staff, but aside from that Premium Modules don't require Beamdog employees . . . they're modules that outside teams/individuals produce, and that Beamdog vets and possibly improves or offers help with, and packages and sells. Or at least that is similar to how Bioware's Premium Module program worked, I think.

-JFK
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I am just going to say that I have it on good authority that Beamdog is in the process of obtaining information to release new modules for the Enhanced Edition.

That is all.
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    Staran said:

Yep but listening to interviews, it doesn’t sound like they have story content people on their staff. It has been two years since the last time they released new story content in anything. Right? They haven’t hired any writers, have they?

Also, you would think that Trent would have mentioned “yep, we are working on new campaigns as we speak”.
    I have to assume, they are not past the spitballing stage.

Because you are correct, a new campaign would highlight these new features, but I don’t think BM knows right now what nwn will look like when it is done.
    I am talking out of my ass but in all honesty I don’t have all the pieces to the puzzle.
    Well we don't even have a window for a release date other than "when it's done". I wouldn't expect a campaign any time soon. They could also release the EE first for the community with under the hood upgrades, and then later package it with an official expansion that will have all new assets to attract a new wave of players. But maybe it's better to build just one buzz around a release that will look significantly improved.
    Beamdog Making a module takes a while.
    But before making a module, the brain storm, spit balling session starts.
    Then the planning and story boarding. Then the actual toolset Work starts.

If they don’t expect this game to be officially released in 2018, then you are correct and my concern is premature.
  • MrDamageMrDamage Member Posts: 210
    deltago said:

I am just going to say that I have it on good authority that Beamdog is in the process of obtaining information to release new modules for the Enhanced Edition.

That is all.

Hmmm...interesting