Skip to content

So what modules are you excited to replay?

Comments

• batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited December 2017
    I hope Bastard of Kosigan gets a new coat of paint in the enhanced version. If only because there are a few issues with it and because I think it's so good. I believe Fabien was done with nwn though, so I guess there's not a big chance of that happening.

Swordflight is a module I haven't tried yet either, but from the looks of it it's one of those ''must play'' as well
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268

Andarian said:

And I'll definitely take a second run through Aielund if @Savant1974 updates it. :)

Oh it's happening :) I'm using new tilesets (including the beautiful "Early Winter" tileset), slick new area transition pictures, more options to completing quests so you don't just have to grind your way through etc.
    sounds like you got a full plate. I'll wait impatiently for it.
    Savant1974
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    I'm excited about joining the persistent world communities. Looking back, my younger years were spent in powergaming and being a munchkin, completely disregarded the roleplaying aspect of the game. But no more, it is time to put the R back to the PG!
    GlassmelterSavant1974
  • TheGmorkTheGmork Member Posts: 37
    I might actually play thorough and finish the Original Campaign. I got NwN the day it was released in Australia and never got past chapter 3 because I discovered the toolset.
    BelleSorciereshmity72
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    edited December 2017
    Taking Swordflight off my list because punitive rest mechanics are just not my thing.

Not saying that it's bad, just that I didn't enjoy it.
    Post edited by BelleSorciere on
    ProontBelgarathMTHGrymlorde
  • LathspellguestLathspellguest Member Posts: 60
    Anyone know which modules are compatible with the Head Start version of the game at the moment?
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    They all should be, but I wouldn't be surprised if you ran into problems.

In Swordflight I had some dialogues shrink down to tiny text.
    Lathspellguest
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I played very few non-official modules back in the day. I actually have a partially-completed Aielund Saga playthrough from as recently as a year ago, and I played through a lot of Bastard of Kosigan, but that's about it. It's really cool to hear that Aielund Saga itself is going to get an enhanced edition. I haven't really been enjoying the character I made for that one (too focused on the end-game build, not enough umph in the meantime), so I'll probably just wait and start fresh when the new version comes out.
    Savant1974
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,268

Anyone know which modules are compatible with the Head Start version of the game at the moment?

Most of them are. My Dark Energy module needed a small tweak, which has been fixed. Otherwise, very few authors or players are reporting issues (though of course many of the classic authors are no longer active).

The only exception I'm aware of (which affects very few modules) is the Aztec and Gothic tilesets, which need some attention. Best not to download those just yet, otherwise go ahead.
    LathspellguestProont
  • LathspellguestLathspellguest Member Posts: 60
    Great to know!
    Proont
  • LiluraLilura Member Posts: 148
    A couple of new reviews on lesser-known modules:

Defense of Fort Tremagne

Bone Kenning: Art of the Thanaturge
    michauAerakar

This is one reason I also didn't like and never finished Mask of the Betrayer. The "Spiriteater" mechanics ruined it for me.

This is a bit off-topic, but it's worth noting that the Spirit Eater mechanic, properly managed, actually encourages frequent rests. Once you get your craving low enough, a rest will cost you less energy than your 1/rest Suppress ability will give you, so frequent rests become the best way to manage your spirit energy.

And if that's not enough, you can get a full "rest" without passing any time (and thus, without losing any energy) by worldmap travelling between Mulsantir and its gate. This is very helpful for evil playthroughs, where your cravings may occasionally get a tad high.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Jarrakul said:

This is one reason I also didn't like and never finished Mask of the Betrayer. The "Spiriteater" mechanics ruined it for me.

This is a bit off-topic, but it's worth noting that the Spirit Eater mechanic, properly managed, actually encourages frequent rests. Once you get your craving low enough, a rest will cost you less energy than your 1/rest Suppress ability will give you, so frequent rests become the best way to manage your spirit energy.

And if that's not enough, you can get a full "rest" without passing any time (and thus, without losing any energy) by worldmap travelling between Mulsantir and its gate. This is very helpful for evil playthroughs, where your cravings may occasionally get a tad high.
    Problem was the system was heavily biased against evil characters.
    It was. Granted, you could play evil and still manage your hunger via Suppress (it's not like every evil person goes "yes, being a fantasy meth addict sounds amazing"), but a lot of the evil options added a lot to your cravings, and both the primary rewards for being evil, Myrkul's Wrath and the Eyes of the Coven, were effectively unobtainable.
  • LiluraLilura Member Posts: 148
    Here's another underrated gem: Sapphire Star by Yaballa.
    Lilura said:

Here's another underrated gem: Sapphire Star by Yaballa.

That sounds like it could be a lot of fun. I'm trying not to read too much there, since it's a walkthrough with spoilers. Just from looking at the top of it, I'm thinking a Vlad Tepes, Lawful Evil type character would be fun and fitting. Play the black knight willing to do anything horrible to keep the realm free. Think I'll load that up when I've got some time over the holiday.
  • DerpCityDerpCity Member, Moderator Posts: 303
    I feel that I'll try to replay the Shadowlords and Dreamcatcher campaigns with my Elf Bard/Arcane Archer again. It was a really fun experience, and made me realize that in the low levels you can get around with just a padded armor and a light shield for armor when you have a decent enough Dex score.
  • DwayneDwayne Member Posts: 102
    I plan on replaying The Aielund Saga, Saleron's Gambit, Blackguard series, Shadowlords/Dreamcatcher series, Ruins of Blood, and A Dance With Rogues. Many more too.
    shmity72Savant1974
  • HunterRayder93HunterRayder93 Member Posts: 266
    since they announced NWN: EE I'm looking on youtube vide of interesting modules and PW that I'd like to try to reproduce, among all there is this "Resident Evil Online" using the game engine of NWN, turns the game into a game of horror survival, and very intriguing and it would be nice to try it in NWN, does anyone know if this PW module still exists?

@HunterRayder93 it's on Neverwinter Vault (a good place to search for the wealth of fan-made content).
    Proont
  • HunterRayder93HunterRayder93 Member Posts: 266
    Proleric said:

@HunterRayder93 it's on Neverwinter Vault (a good place to search for the wealth of fan-made content).

here it is found!

It is a pity that the project has been terminated, however, if there are its files in the NWvalut and can somehow implement them in NWN: EE? projects like these according to me need the love of the community to be refurbished, to be noted in one of the images of the zombee pack there is an edited version of the user interface.

and a modern but really impressive setup, this shows how after 13 years with mod and Hack we are pushed beyond the limits of the original game.

I'm not a horror fan but Resident Evil and an interesting game that always intrigued me, to see a similar project based on NWN really impressed me.
    Virtually all of the old modules like Resident Evil Online are already playable in EE.
    Proont
  • SerpentCoilSerpentCoil Member Posts: 8
    I am looking forward to replaying the Aielund Saga and the Swordflight modules which were great. But most of all I'm excited about replaying the best module in NWN that I ever played which is the awesome A Dance with Rogues adventure.
    Proleric
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Moved to a shiny new NWN:EE Modules category :)
    Andarian
    So I've been playing some of the mods recommended here.

After some false starts I got into chapter 3 of Aeilund Saga. Not sure if it's the character I'm playing, a Bard Arcane Archer, but I really lost steam in the 3rd chapter. I want to go back to it with something different. The archer felt like progression got stagnate, you just get your +1 damage every 2 levels. Plus, for me it gets a bit boring just sitting in the back row pelting enemies with arrows. At a certain point, I kind of realized I'd rather be playing Robert Black than my character. I did like the way it was balanced for different classes. There were fights I had serious trouble as a Barbarian, but were trivial with a Bard dropping cloud of bewilderment. Think I'll come back to this one with either a straight Sorcerer or Wizard/Pale Master, maybe throw in a level of Paladin if I do sorcerer, but I kind of want to go evil next time. A Blackguard rocking a bastard sword does sound fun, too.

I've been playing swordflight, and enjoying it. It is brutal, though. I started out with a fighter/thief, and after getting my ass handed to me repeatedly, I just rolled up a Paladin/Champion of Torm, and have been having a much better time. I feel like playing this one as a mage would just be an exercise in masochism. Chapter 1 is pretty slow, and difficulty very high, since it keeps you at low enough level for long time, that a single critical on you can kill you. The difficulty also makes how horrible the AI is, even worse. It feels like the companion you're saddled with trying to keep alive in chapter 1 can only suck and die in fights. Chapter 2 gets way better. There are still fights where you can get insta-killed (water elementals Drown spell), but a lot less of the random, woops you're dead instances.

There's a lot of potential reactivity based on class/alignment, and does reward you for playing your alignment. Thing is, I feel like a lot of the mage stuff is out of bounds with the over the top rest restrictions. The mod gives you an abundance of healing items and various potions, so for non-casters the rest restrictions aren't that horrible.

The game definitely tries to turn a lot of the typical D&D tropes on their heads

Most people have heard about how the kill the rats in the inn's basement quest changes things up in chapter 1. In chapter 2, you have the options of an evil rogue aasimar or a tiefling paladin as a henchmen, and they are mutually exclusive. To get one, you have to kill the other. Another companion is Gnoll cleric of Tyr. There's a tribe of Orcs that have given up on worshipping Gruumsh, and switched to a good deity (Think it was Tyr, might've been Lathander or Ilmater, I forget), and you get a temporary cleric henchmen from the tribe to help them.
    Ya, I think I'm done with Swordflight. After getting my ass kicked by that minotaur at the beginning of chapter 3 like a dozen times, I think I'm ready to stop punishing myself. I came close, gunning divine shield and using combat expertise, but even then I was repeatedly just healing myself most of that fight. It just gets silly.
  • MalkethMalketh Member Posts: 7
    tbone1 said:

I am looking forward to Adam Miller’s Shadowlands/Demon modules again. They were very well done.

Adam Miller made some outstanding modules for both NWN 1 and 2.
    tbone1DrHappyAngry
    Malketh said:

tbone1 said:

I am looking forward to Adam Miller’s Shadowlands/Demon modules again. They were very well done.

Until you mentioned that I didn't connect that he was the same author that did Dark Waters for NWN2. That was a seriously ambitious mod that included a lot of voice acting and had a cool piratey world. I started Shadowlords, but wasn't feeling that drawn into it after finishing part 1. I should probably go back to it.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

Malketh said:

tbone1 said:

Until you mentioned that I didn't connect that he was the same author that did Dark Waters for NWN2. That was a seriously ambitious mod that included a lot of voice acting and had a cool piratey world. I started Shadowlords, but wasn't feeling that drawn into it after finishing part 1. I should probably go back to it.
    Things got better after Part 1, particularly if you took along ... Anera? I think that was her name.