Skip to content

Would you like to see more scripting and event handling functionality added to the base game?

BalanorBalanor Member Posts: 176
edited February 2018 in General Discussions NWN:EE
It seems putting our suggestions/requests into one of the various suggestions to get a new Trello card created for them on the Input Board is not as effective as starting a poll. So I’m starting this one in an appeal for others to voice your opinion and show Beamdog there is (a hopefully significant) interest from their customers to either port or add additional scripting and event handling functionality to the base game, which is otherwise currently only available via NWNX in a multiplayer environment.

For example, porting just some of the capabilities currently only available in NWNX would allow *both* single and multiplayer module creators the ability to do things like dynamically change the race, gender, voiceset, base ability scores, skills, feats, known spells, memorized spells, and many more options for creatures and/or PCs.

In addition, there are currently NWNX-only events that, if ported, would give non-NWNX module designers the ability to control what happens in their module when a/any feat is used, an item is used, when stealth is entered (HiPS exploit handling, for example), among other events.
  1. Would you like to see more scripting and event handling functionality added to the base game?35 votes
    1. Yes
      100.00%
    2. No
        0.00%

Comments

• FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    Yes of course, especially the ones we've already listed in those threads. I also really need that addfeat function and the bonus health / increase max health effect. Learn / unlearn spell functions too, that would be neat.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,286
    Absolutely. There are lots of other events that have been nominated in suggestions. OnEquip for NPCs is top of my list.
  • NeverwinterWightsNeverwinterWights Member Posts: 339
    edited February 2018
    Absolutely. But I'd like to point out that every time I've made a similar suggestion I usually get the response "just use NWNX, Beamdog has better things to do, etc.".
    I actually think this is the most important thing Beamdog should be working on.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    One of the things I enjoyed about the official Bioware updates to NWN were the surprise additional scripting functions.

You never knew what you were going to get or what sort of an impact it was going to have in the hands of some inventive modder.
  • thirdmousethirdmouse Member Posts: 67
    "Just use NWNX" is appropriate in the cases where some feature might be very niche, advanced, or high-tech PW only, but of course there are things that would be useful to SP and MP creators alike :)

(For what it's worth, from my lazy perspective I think they're pretty cognizant of this and interested in both making previously NWNX-only features a part of the base game - they've already added several! - and having a healthy NWNX environment for community hacking and sharing neat crap that's outside that scope.)
  • shadguyshadguy Member Posts: 154

Yes of course, especially the ones we've already listed in those threads. I also really need that addfeat function and the bonus health / increase max health effect. Learn / unlearn spell functions too, that would be neat.

Did nwn2 support stuff like that? If so, how did they deal with ELC?

-Dave
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    Yes they had some functions like that but effects are considered temporary and adding feats or changing ability score will break the built in ELC however they also had a feat category called history I believe which didn't get counted for ELC. Since in NWN2 the VAR option for class prerequisites was broken the tactic was to use that feat category instead.

On the other hand making your own anti-cheat scripts is also possible and Beamdog could probably also softcode ELC somehow to take script originating changes into account.
  • RifkinRifkin Member Posts: 141
    Dynamic Event binding and unbinding as well please!
  • MrDamageMrDamage Member Posts: 210
    Making it easier for modders to do more, easily, can only be a good thing.
  • MadHatterMadHatter Member Posts: 145
    I would like an event that fires before onClientExit (or changing the way that event works) to allow getting and setting variables on them.
  • BalanorBalanor Member Posts: 176
    @JuliusBorisov Any chance this could get a Trello card? It currently has more Yes votes than the Ceiling Tile request thread, and is just a couple votes shy of the total number cast in that one.
  • NeverwinterWightsNeverwinterWights Member Posts: 339
    MadHatter said:

I would like an event that fires before onClientExit (or changing the way that event works) to allow getting and setting variables on them.

I can never find the patch notes when I need to but I thought they already fixed this one. Maybe it was just location?
  • MadHatterMadHatter Member Posts: 145

MadHatter said:

I can never find the patch notes when I need to but I thought they already fixed this one. Maybe it was just location?
    For serious? I must have missed that completely!

• BalanorBalanor Member Posts: 176
    edited February 2018
    I think you could get variables from a PC object in the 1.69 OnClientExit event. I'm not sure about setting them though - although I think you should be able to do that too since even if the player logs out, the PC object exists until the server is stopped or restarted. I do know that in 1.69 you couldn't get the PC Player Name of the PC in the OnClientExit, but in EE you now can.

I use the OnClientExit to remove a variable from the PC to ensure that the module-wide psuedoheartbeat which fires for my PCs gets stopped if that doesn't exist on them anymore.
  • TerrorbleTerrorble Member Posts: 169
    I enjoy building and scripting, but NWNX was not something I could figure out how to use. And, if I understood correctly, a number of the things I wanted from it couldn't be done running Windows server.

A way to work with critical hits/death attack, HiPS, set shifter stats via scripting, and implement true casting levels for the purpose of beating SR and resisting dispel checks are just the few things I was wishing I could do earlier tonight while I was playing my mod with my son.

I understand there are things NWNX does that are just outside Beamdog's purview but scripting commands are things I care about.