Skip to content

Using Spell Immunity

Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
I've just started playing The Black Pits 2 a few days ago, and I can say that I'm really enjoying it. Besides letting one try out different character classes at once, it provides a great scope for learning and experimenting with the game. So, after playing for some time with a party, I got tempted to play a solo game, and so I started with a Gnome Fighter/ Illusionist. o:)

Now about Spell Immunity: Mostly it's used to protect yourself against maze (Conjuration) and imprisonment (Abjuration). As the description states:

“Casting this spell grants the wizard protection from one spell school of his choice. After the spell is cast, the wizard must choose the school he wishes to be protected from. All spells of this school will not be able to harm or aid the caster for the duration of this spell. This includes all spells from this school, including any priest spells that might benefit the caster.”

So I had my Gnome F/I cast Spell Immunity: Evocation and then cast Web, Fireballs and Cloudkills (all Evocation spells) on the arena floor. To my surprise, my PC (the gnome, I mean) was also taking damage from Cloudkill and Fireballs, but according to the description he shouldn't have been affected by them. That's quite confusing! :/ For instance, I know that Spell Immunity: Alteration doesn't protect from Time Stop, since the spell is cast by the enemy mage on himself and not on the player character, but in this case, the spell takes effect upon someone who's got Spell Immunity on him!

Now my question is: How is Spell Immunity supposed to work and when does it NOT work? In what ways and for what purposes do you use it? I'll be glad if you share your strategies and experiences, and enlighten me on this matter with your wisdom. :)

Comments

• Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    Likely because they are your own spells. If an opponent casts them at you, you should be protected.
    Volatile
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    @Jaheiras_Witness should be right.

SI abjuration is useful to protect your buffs, SI divination is useful to protect your invisibility, and your improved one, making you not targetable by spells, so only the aoe ones can hit you.
    Rik_Kirtaniya
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    edited February 2018

Likely because they are your own spells. If an opponent casts them at you, you should be protected.

@Jaheiras_Witness However, as the description states, beneficial spells cast from the same school will not affect the Mage as well.
    All spells of this school will not be able to harm or aid the caster for the duration of this spell. This includes all spells from this school, including any priest spells that might benefit the caster.

It is obvious that beneficial spells will only be cast by the PC or his associates. Now if that does NOT affect the PC while he's under Spell Immunity, then why should this affect him? That's where my confusion arises. I don't think it's about who casts the spell. Is it due to Cloudkill and Fireball being AoE spells, or is it something else?

(I don't know exactly how this spell is intended to work, and that being the case, I cannot utilise it as effectively as I could have if I knew more about its functioning.)
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    It’s not about beneficial vs harmful, it’s about same character casting the spell. It has to work like this because otherwise the caster could no longer themselves cast spells from the same school. For example, if you cast SI Alteration, you could then no longer cast Stoneskin on yourself. If you cast SI Divination, you could no longee cast True Sight. The purpose of the spell is to protect you from the spells of others, not your own spells.