Skip to content

A must read! a CRPG Book released

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
Felipe Pepe's recently published "CRPG Book"offers a chronological list of RPG reviews, starting from the 1970s. This project took nearly 4 to complete but is now officially released, having 528 illustrated pages with over 400 RPG entries provided by 112 volunteers from all over the world, including Chris Avellone.

https://crpgbook.wordpress.com/2018/02/05/update-19-crpg-book-released/

https://crpgbook.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/crpg_book_1-0.pdf
ThacoBellGusindaAerakarSylvus_MoonbowArdanisRaduzielZaghoulBelgarathMTHArctodusProont[Deleted User]

Comments

• ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    That was an impressive list. I was glad to see they had Fairy Tale Adventure in there that I played on the Amiga. The music played a big roll in setting the atmosphere.
    It was also nice to see that Moria was included, I played the heck outa that one. As @sarevok57 mentioned on a old game he had, this also was very low end on graphics, using just plain symbols for things as well, but hours of fun.
    It was a nice trip down memory lane just to see the titles of some of these old games.
    sarevok57JuliusBorisovProont
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    edited February 2018
    sarevok57 said:

i own a dnd game from 1984 on my pc/laptop i have to use some sort of dos opener program do-hickey to get it to work, and the game is actually kind of fun, despite the fact that your character is a literal X and bad guys are # and money/treasure is $ and walls are built out of capital "I", ah good stuff

Sounds like a roguelike in the Nethack vein. It's quite liberating to have to use your imagination rather than graphics once in awhile. I'm toying with one called Sil.

Interesting book too, thanks.
    tbone1JuliusBorisov
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited February 2018
    I've read most of the book in the various drafts he has put out over the years, but I'm sure the final product contains anothe nice batch of new entries.
    JuliusBorisovProont
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Ah, nethack! Where a lizard corpse is worth more than all the tea in China. It was one of the most useful tools in a previous life. Batch jobs would take an hour (at least) to run and restarting the Valkyrie was just what was needed to get through the overnight, overtime tedium. Though I could never remember just what level I left the little dog.
    JuliusBorisovProontGusinda
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714