Skip to content

MP doesn't work very well.. :/

Hey there, just bought this game with my friends during the Steam lunar new year sale. Played the last one pretty extensively, it was actually one of the very first games I ever played. But yeah, all that aside, the multiplayer in this game is pretty wonky. For example there are huge lag spikes going on in the game from my friends' point of view, enemies suddenly go from standing perfectly still to morphing right in front of their very faces and then proceed to insta-murder them and they see the other players skid all around the map, rapidly jumping from one place to another, it's pretty much unplayable for them while it's perfectly playable for me if I create the server.
And when I don't create I can't even join the game all i see after having created a character and joined the game is the message saying I need to enter the password to the server in order to be able to enter the game and after I have done that all it says is "waiting for information from server" and I'm stuck while the others are in-game and they are visibly running around and everything but I'm unable to join them.
Is there something I need to do in order to make this run better, like open up some ports or something?

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Mp is pretty inconsistent right now. Some people can do full trilogy runs just fine, and others have trouble just getting started. Luckily, the next patch is not only supposed to fix MP, but also allow cross platform play.
  • gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
    edited February 2018
    I don't know if it'll help, but a couple of things you could consider/try:

-They're doing a ton of work on a 2.5 beta for this game currently. You can opt into the beta through Steam by right clicking on the name of the game, clicking properties, going to the beta tab and then selecting it from the drop down. This may help.
    -Siege of Dragonspear may not be compatible with the 2.5 beta. You may need to disable it if you have it.

Hope it helps.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Please, opt in the 2.5 beta and report back about your MP experience.

Take note, that SoD is not a part of the open beta, so make sure your UI in BG:EE is blue, not dark, - disable SoD for testing MP in BG:EE.
  • thedude08thedude08 Member Posts: 2
    Hey, haven't got the Siege of Dragonspear exp, so I've got that going for me, I guess. Tried it again with one of the friends while enabling the mp beta patch and this time it seemed to play a lot better, it was a lot more fluid and responsive and, more importantly, I was able to join his game, something I could not do the last time we played. Of course, it is also entirely possible that it had something to do with congestion, perhaps a lot of people were using the net and it got clogged up a bit, or something, leading to slow-downs. Well, so far, so good. Here's to hoping it keeps up like this.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    How does one disable SoD in the Steam version of the game?
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523

How does one disable SoD in the Steam version of the game?

Uncheck the SoD DLC from your BG listing in the Steam library.