Skip to content

Is NWN:EE currently playable (campaigns, single player only, on Mac OS)? (and a wish from Beamdog)

If so, I will buy it right away and continue my support of Beamdog.

Though, I gotta ask, if it is, then why would it take for the release to take a year? Mutiplayer?
(I really truly do not care about modules, multiplayer, or the new graphics.)

Oh, and, is Beamdog planning to release a new campaign?

Look, Dragonspear proved that Beamdog can, in fact, write good new content. If they are not using this engine port for the release of a new campaign, I think they are wasting an opportunity.

Charge me for a good story. I will gladly pay $40 for a new campaign.

Especially, if it is more Witcher's Wake-ish and less like the toy adventure of the Original Campaign. (NWN1 only got better with the expansion; the OC is just a childish romp.)

Comments

• DerpCityDerpCity Member, Moderator Posts: 303
    The game is currently 100% playable, including multiplayer. Those things you listed are part of why the game has a distant release date. Its basically an open beta, and considering they're adding to a game that already functions it would be a bit silly if it wasn't already possible to play it. Also, although you don't care about them, new graphics (as in refreshing every model and tileset to more modern levels) are definitely a big part of why EE is going to have such a far off release date, and if they do a good job of retaining the original aesthetic with better graphics then I'll be happy. I'm also pretty sure they're at least considering making a new campaign, and if Siege of Dragonspear was as good as you and others have made it out to be then I certainly hope they do.
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    Thanks. This was informative.
    But does it already work on Mac out of the box?
    (NWN1 does not, of course, unless you want to wineskin.)

Also, I hope that they would rather redo the cartoonish inventory images.
    That was reason enough for me to stop playing the original NWN1.
  • DerpCityDerpCity Member, Moderator Posts: 303
    edited February 2018
    Since the installer created folders for the Mac and Linux versions of the game launcher (which were also installed) even though I'm running on Windows, I'm going to say that it probably works on Mac. I wouldn't know about any issues you could possibly run into though, since its out of my element.

I presume that updated inventory artwork is going to be part of the revamping process, though I personally don't have a problem with them as they are now. I was always more critical of NWN2's icons, though it was moreso because they reduced the items down to 1x1 inventory slots than the quality of the artwork itself.
    Thanks again.

I would like to see a dev or tester confirm whether the campaign is finishable on Mac.

(It would be immensely frustrating to invest 60 hours only to realize that I can't.)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @Ygramul The best way to understand what NWN:EE is about is to look at the Roadmap Trello board:
    https://trello.com/b/K0C0i8wF/neverwinter-nights-enhanced-edition

It contains features that are currently under development or consideration by the team. It also contains links to all the livestream videos.

You can read the recaps and the patch notes on our blog, blog.beamdog.com, or just look at the first post here - https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/66904/neverwinter-nights-enhanced-edition-faq/p1.

If you follow the videos or recaps, you'll see that the new content is indeed very much planned for NWN:EE - but it will happen further on the way.

There's also an Input Trello board - https://trello.com/b/Lb79bbgy/neverwinter-nights-input where you can vote for other features if you think they should be included into NWN:EE.

As for Mac - @niv (one of the developers) actually works on a Mac so the game should run completely fine and be completable on a Mac.
  • JodacoJodaco Member Posts: 3
    I haven't completed the campaign yet, but on my 2017 Macbook pro the game has run almost flawlessly. I say almost, because when I first bought it, there was some stuttering, but only minor, but it got fixed in a patch somewhere and has been perfect since. Haven't beat the campaign again yet, but haven't even seen a crash.
    Excellent.
    I'll go fetch me one for my Mac then.

Good luck with the development cycle.
  • jwwjww Member Posts: 34
    Just to add another data point, the Mac version runs fine for me as well, and I can see the user interface on my iMac with a 5k Retina screen. I really appreciate all the Enhanced Edition games being playable on modern hardware, regardless of whether other features are added.
    I can also now confirm that Mac version indeed runs just fine... :)