Skip to content

Rolling with Aec'letec (spoilers I guess)

I took on Aec'letec last night. While I did win the fight (first try I might add) Safana got ghoulified. I considered reloading but I was just like 'screw it' and I went with it. I'm gonna clear the rest of the game with 5 people and won't be filling that last slot until SoD. My PC is a swashbuckler so I still having thieving covered until then. I intend to dual him into fighter at level 10 though so I will need to hit level 10 Swashbuckler right before (or after) beating Sarevok.

Anyway, does anybody else chose to not reload sometimes when a character dies forever?
Zaghoul

Comments

• PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    This is the fate that awaits Xzar and Montaron every time they cross my path. Or Eldoth.
    For most others I would reload, even if I plan to send them away at some time.
    I never leave a comrade behind (except those above). Even when I exchange someone for another NPC, the one to leave keeps equipment and all like earned while traveling with me. I'm grateful that they risked their lives for my quest.
    tbone1KuselBleriot
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @Dragonfolk2000 Good on ya. :) I got used to no-reload (not for anything) and havn't gone back since. It just makes the game more fun/interesting I think. Now I've added no resurrection as well and it has made it even more so. It seems to make the death of an NPC more meaningful for the story and forces me to be a little more careful as well.
    I will say it can become addictive after a while, playing like that. ;)
    AerakarBalrog99Rakhsev
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Will Safana be available SOD if she was killed in BG?

Reason I ask is because I've done that dual and of course no thieving/trap skills in SOD (which I got round using Vic to just trigger everything as I didn't have a thief).
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I don't believe npcs killed in BG1 will be available in SoD. (Imoen excepted)
    AerakarJuliusBorisov
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

Reason I ask is because I've done that dual and of course no thieving/trap skills in SOD (which I got round using Vic to just trigger everything as I didn't have a thief).

as far as i know i think the answer is no, i recall killing baeloth before SoD and because of that he did not appear, so i would assume the same for safana
    JuliusBorisov
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    For some reason I cannot explain, Minsc seems to take a crap-load more hits on my iPad BGEE than on my computer BGEE. I can set up a combat, run it twice (once with Minsc, once with another tank with the same AC), and Minsc always gets beat up like an innocent bystander in Detroit.
  • Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 377

I just got to that point in my SoD playthrough and she is still there, despite having a severe case of 'horrific disfiguration by ghoulish transformation followed by three burly men beating the crap out of you'

That's HDGTFTBMBCOY for short. It's more common than you'd think.
    tbone1UnderstandMouseMagicQuartz
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    The EET mod introduces the concept of continuous NPCs to the game. Those who died in one part of the game do not appear in later parts (except Imoen and Edwin in Mae'Var's guild). On the other hand, those NPCs you had in earlier parts of the game and you spent time and tomes etc to develop will appear in later parts with their stats and abilities gained before.
    KuselBleriot
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    It may be a bug that Safana appeared in SoD although was killed in BG:EE. There's a bug with NPCs not transferring properly which will be fixed in the 2.5 version.

It may be a bug that Safana appeared in SoD although was killed in BG:EE. There's a bug with NPCs not transferring properly which will be fixed in the 2.5 version.

Oh hey, I just posted about this yesterday. Rasaad didn't come in with the experience, the proficiencies, or the equipment I gave him.
  • HugoRuneHugoRune Member Posts: 47
    Vheissu said:

Some plot crucial npcs reappear even if they are killed. Safana might be included, since the PC needs a thief in the starting dungeon of SoD.

I killed Minsc and Dynaheir eary on in my game, resulting in their corpses appearing in the coalition camp. And, in the next coalition camp. Why the coalition are dragging two corpses around, I don't know, but its creepy and I'm starting to feel a little guilty.

Is this how it's supposed to be? In my game both Khalid and Dynaheir died during BG1 and I never bothered resurrecting them. They were both alive and well in SoD, if a little underlevelled.
    I think npcs who aren't imoen and maybe safana are either supposed to stay dead for continuity with bg1. Or otherwise, npcs staying dead was an unintended side effect of some engine strangeness.
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
    This discussion just made me get excited for Baldur's Gate 3. Will we have some kind of trilogy similar to Mass Effect where we continue our stories throughout the series? Like, will decisions we make stick and our choices for character development transfer forward? Considering how long it would take to level up in the later levels of 5th edition this makes me more excited for BG3.

Not that, you know, anyone has said this is happening. But I am somewhat hopeful.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055

This discussion just made me get excited for Baldur's Gate 3.

The original plans for a part 3 of the series were cut down to what you know as the Throne of Bhaal. That's the end of the story.
    And transferring your characters from 2e to 5e sounds like a really bad idea in general.
    ThacoBellRaduziel

This discussion just made me get excited for Baldur's Gate 3.

The original plans for a part 3 of the series were cut down to what you know as the Throne of Bhaal. That's the end of the story.
    And transferring your characters from 2e to 5e sounds like a really bad idea in general.
    Not what I meant at all actually.

I mean when Beamdog starts their own original installment. I would expect it to take place in 5th edition, thus requiring entirely new characters and maybe a new story. I really can't imagine the power level if the game continued from after Throne of Bhaal... but I could try. I mean, what else are you going to do? You are either a god or a stupidly powerful mortal without god stuff. The kinds of things you would do in either type of adventure would be obscenely high end. It is an interesting thought though...

Mind racing. I have ideas now.
    @Dragonfolk2000 In that case it wouldn't be BG 3. The bhaalspawn's story is finished.
    Dev6
    ThacoBell said:

@Dragonfolk2000 In that case it wouldn't be BG 3. The bhaalspawn's story is finished.

*cough*Baldur'sGateDarkAlliance*cough*

ThacoBell said:

Exactly, that game wasn't Baldur's Gate in any way. It had 0 connection to any of the plots, characters, or themes from the original games. It wasn't even the same GENRE, being a bog standard diablo hack and slash. You may as well have called it "Storms of Zehir: Dark Alliance"
    Artona
  • VheissuVheissu Member Posts: 13
    edited February 2018
    HugoRune said:

Vheissu said:

Some plot crucial npcs reappear even if they are killed. Safana might be included, since the PC needs a thief in the starting dungeon of SoD.

I killed Minsc and Dynaheir eary on in my game, resulting in their corpses appearing in the coalition camp. And, in the next coalition camp. Why the coalition are dragging two corpses around, I don't know, but its creepy and I'm starting to feel a little guilty.

Is this how it's supposed to be? In my game both Khalid and Dynaheir died during BG1 and I never bothered resurrecting them. They were both alive and well in SoD, if a little underlevelled.
    I'm not certain for two reasons:

1. I killed them as part of Edwin's quest. If they die more "naturally" over the course of BG1, it would make more sense that they would reappear. They certainly wouldn't want to join the party if they were killed by the player as part of Edwin's quest, but I'm not certain if SoD takes that into account.

2. I later discovered that my modded installation was rather messed up, because I had used a deprecated installation option for Big World Setup (which has since been removed).
    ThacoBell said:

ThacoBell said:

Exactly, that game wasn't Baldur's Gate in any way. It had 0 connection to any of the plots, characters, or themes from the original games. It wasn't even the same GENRE, being a bog standard diablo hack and slash. You may as well have called it "Storms of Zehir: Dark Alliance"
    So are you saying it shouldn't be called 'Baldur's Gate 3'? Maybe it could be called something else like 'Baldur's Gate: Dim Guild' or 'Baldur's Gate: Bleak Faction'? I'd be okay with that.

ThacoBell said:

ThacoBell said:

So are you saying it shouldn't be called 'Baldur's Gate 3'? Maybe it could be called something else like 'Baldur's Gate: Dim Guild' or 'Baldur's Gate: Bleak Faction'? I'd be okay with that.
    It shouldn't have the name "Baldur's Gate" at all.
    recklessheart
    ThacoBell said:

ThacoBell said:

ThacoBell said:

It shouldn't have the name "Baldur's Gate" at all.
    I'm beginning to think that we may be starting a different discussion here. Let's stay on topic for this thread.
    ThacoBell
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    To answer the OP, I have to confess some jealousy for your ability to do that! I am personally not very able to just let an NPC die - mostly because I go to unnecessary lengths to plan out my party for both BG and BG2 every time I play, and losing one of those 5 NPCs will fry my carefully laid out plans. Alas, I think it would be so fun to let those plans go awry, but I haven't had the willpower to relinquish control just yet. Everyone knows that 'relinquish control' is just a fancy way of saying 'lose', after all. ;)

Some day I'm gonna get in on the action. It seems like a really fun way to play, and the overabundance of Thief NPCs in BG1 is for exactly that reason: the developers expected a lot of NPCs might die and people wouldn't take on the costs of resurrection, so a wide array of adventure-essential NPCs were included. I think we can all agree that BG1 without a Thief would be an absolute headache.
    Dragonfolk2000
    I've been playing a bit of Final Fantasy Tactics lately where characters (even named story based ones) can die permanently. Specifically, Mustadio dies... a lot. It's the sort of thing that can be made less of an issue by grinding but I'm in a spot where I can only do story stuff and I'm worried that if I don't have a named story character with me I might miss out on some dialogue.

And that's a large part of what I like (for some weird reason) is dialogue. If I'm in an area with a character I've never brought there before I really wanna hear what they have to say. Taking Viconia with you in BG1 on Rasaad's quest is an absolute delight to me. Maybe it's because I get to see these NPCs actually become characters and interact. They aren't just some tool that I take out and put away for various situations. It makes it feel more like an actual D&D game with role playing. That's a thing I always liked and if I can manage to replicate that in the games that I want to make someday then that will make me very happy.
    UnderstandMouseMagic
  • toolargtoolarg Member Posts: 179
    Well, during BG1 I went to the gnoll fortress with Edwin and killed Dynaheir. Never talked to Minsc, who was still standing in the center of Nashkel. They showed up together, alive and well in SoD and happily joined me :neutral: