Skip to content

How to deal with assassins

Hi!
Currently playing a game on Insane with

Swashbuckler - 100 hp
Anomen - 120 hp
Keldorn - 100 hp
Aerie - 55 hp

The next fight is the top floor of the guarded compound. However, the assassin really fucks me. One hit and Anomen has 6 hp left. Need some help!
/J

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    You have Keldorn's True Sight...
  • MrSextonMrSexton Member Posts: 396

You have Keldorn's True Sight...

Which does f all to help...
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    MrSexton said:

Hi!
    Currently playing a game on Insane with

Swashbuckler - 100 hp
    Anomen - 120 hp
    Keldorn - 100 hp
    Aerie - 55 hp

The next fight is the top floor of the guarded compound. However, the assassin really fucks me. One hit and Anomen has 6 hp left. Need some help!
    /J

Turn everyone except Aerie Invisible and load her up with Stoneskin/MfMW?
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    Armor of Faith and Defender of Easthaven can improve Anomen's resistance. If you also improve his HP via Righteous Magic, Holy Power and Draw Upon Holy Might you should be able to mitigate the effects of the backstab sufficiently for potions to keep him alive.
    In case you need more healing, the Rod of Resurrection is excellent at that job.
    If Aerie has PW: Stun, you can keep the assassin from going back invisible and backstabbing again.
    You could also cheat a little by setting up Anomen to catch the backstab (to protect the rest of the party) but having Aerie begin her Heal spell before the assassin swings his blade.
    ThacoBellProontgorgonzola
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    edited February 2018
    use Kithix's web on ketha

or go downstairs and lead them in one at a time
  • jwwjww Member Posts: 34
    You can turn the party invisible, go up the stairs and stop immediately (make sure the party AI is off so they don't move to auto-attack). The reason to stop is that there is a trap that will dispel your invisibility (if I remember correctly), so wait until you detect and disable that trap. Then move everyone into the room to the north, and move them well back so that the enemies don't see you while you are buffing and positioning your people.

You may have to move quickly to detect/disable the trap and move into the room, because I think one of the enemies might have true sight, but I've done it this way quite a few times.

From there, I usually start summoning, positions the summons so that they can move to block the doorway as soon as the enemies see me, and cast cloudkill so that it covers the area from the middle of the enemies' room to your doorway (don't forget to turn your party AI back on). You might still be a bit too low of level to use this method for these four characters on Insane mode (use your strongest summons, Animate Dead at the minimum). The stronger enemies will live through the cloudkill, so have your stronger characters lined up behind the summons, and have Aerie cast area-effect spells against the enemies while trying not to hit your own people. (or stick Aerie in front with stoneskin, on the off chance the assassin lives through the cloudkill)
    gorgonzola
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    edited February 2018
    Like a lot of people I draw them downstairs.
    And then run for it. :D

Of course before I go anywhere near upstairs I have summoned 5 skeletons, buffed and hasted as we all are. The skeletons take the attacks, the party fires from afar.

Not understanding why true sight is not working. The assasin goes invisible and then reappears, goes invisible and reappears ect. That should be enough to finish her off before she does too much damage especially if she is surrounded by skeletons.
    Ketta isn't it?

If needs be have a couple of the party casting Truesight.

One thing you can do as well.
    Use the summons called against you (is it a glabrazu?) by casting protection from evil. They ignore your party but will attack anybody coming downstairs. When you lure people downstairs, they attack them instead.
    ThacoBell
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Try "Detect Invisibility". It's only level 2 spell and has short casting time. Cast one at beginning of combat, and then another whenever you see assassin going invisible. With three divine caster you should have more than enough spell slots.
    gorgonzola
  • VheissuVheissu Member Posts: 13
    edited February 2018
    Detect invisibility in a spell sequencer is the fastest method possible. That's one of the harder fights in Athkatla by any reckoning though. No shame in coming back later with a few more levels under your belt. Then try the Twisted Rune.

Also remember aoe spells like chaos and glitterdust still affect invisible creatures.
    ThacoBell
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited February 2018
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.