Skip to content

Pathfinder : Kingmaker

Comments

• ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736

What about western RPG fans who refuse to play JRPGs?

I'd ask Inquisition, they know how to deal with heresy.
    BelleSorcieremashedtaters
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719

BTW, i'm not very fond of JRPGs because theres zero roleplaying involved, you're always a human teenager with silly clothes who must save the world.

You're literally contradicting yourself. You say there's no role play involved, then you claim you always play the role of a teenager etc.

I mean, I get that you don't enjoy JRPGs and I'm not trying to force you to. Everyone enjoys different things. But your argument is flawed.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Ardanis said:

What about western RPG fans who refuse to play JRPGs?

I'd ask Inquisition, they know how to deal with heresy.
    You can’t Torquemada anything!

DrHappyAngry[Deleted User]
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    That is one of my all time favorite movies! I've even got the Mel Brooks blu ray boxset.

And because this thread is about kingmaker

lordkimtbone1
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    edited February 2018
    Dev6 said:

BTW, i'm not very fond of JRPGs because theres zero roleplaying involved, you're always a human teenager with silly clothes who must save the world.

You're literally contradicting yourself. You say there's no role play involved, then you claim you always play the role of a teenager etc.

I mean, I get that you don't enjoy JRPGs and I'm not trying to force you to. Everyone enjoys different things. But your argument is flawed.
    I mean there are no character creations, dialogue choices and stat checks in JRPGS. The boys are always fighters while the girls are always clerics.

And i Just can't digest the animesque and emo boy band character design.
    mashedtaters
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @ShapiroKeatsDarkMage "The boys are always fighters while the girls are always clerics."

This one isn't entirely fair. There is long and noble history of Bash Babes in JRPGs.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Sexist tropes aside, there was a discussion of the PoE forums about the need to be able to identify with your character. I'm completely unable to identify with emo teenage boys with huge eyes and spiky hair!

Although to be fair, this isn't just an issue with JRPGs - it applies to any with a preset central character - I couldn't identify with Garrett either.
    mashedtaters
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Fardragon said:

Sexist tropes aside, there was a discussion of the PoE forums about the need to be able to identify with your character. I'm completely unable to identify with emo teenage boys with huge eyes and spiky hair!

Although to be fair, this isn't just an issue with JRPGs - it applies to any with a preset central character - I couldn't identify with Garrett either.

I know what you mean. I couldn't even finish the second one, let alone another bigger game with a guy who just grunts in a hoarse voice.

PoE I didn't identify with anyone. Eder had a few moments, but I'm a half Chinese guy that grew up in the South, like I didn't get enough of racist farm boys growing up. Sure, Shar-Teel was a violent crazy man hater, but in the very few lines she had, I cared about her more than Eder, and at least she was good at something. All that could be said about Eder was he was an OK meat shield. At least I have some memories of Shar-Teel saving the whole parties ass.
    PoE you create your own character from scratch, so you should be able to come up something, even if the selection of mates doesn't appeal. The debate was why people weren't playing dwarves. I don't have any problem identifying with dwarves (as you can tell from my picture).
    ThacoBell
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    If you can identify with a dwarf, I fail to understand what's stopping you from identifying with a teen boy. Although I do agree that huge eyes and spiky hair and emo thing are a bit niche. But it's a problem with that particular archetype itself, not with preset characters and absence of dialog choices in general.
    ThacoBellDev6RedRodent
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Ardanis said:

If you can identify with a dwarf, I fail to understand what's stopping you from identifying with a teen boy.

Because I'm not allergic to manual labor and being responsible for my own actions. #parenthood

ArdanisFardragonThacoBellmashedtaters
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    Omg did i start a spam topic..... :smiley:
    mashedtaters
    Nice Graphic and a sublime VO :smiley:

JuliusBorisovkanisathableusteelmashedtaters
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Anyone know what engine they are using?
  • MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386
    How did we move from Pathfinder to JRPG?

I've never got into the Pathfinder RPG really. I went kind of straight from AD&D2 to D&D5 skipping everything inbetween. Beside, I don't really enjoy Pathfinder's visual style, while it's less damaging on a tabletop RPG it's a big obstacle to me on a video game.
    Kilivitz
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    really? for an isometric game, i think it looks pretty sharp, my only main concern i have is; game balance of game mechanics, since it's a derivative of 3.5 i really hope they take the kinks out of 3.5 that made the game so unbalancing
    lordkimThacoBellkanisathamashedtaters
    I believe @Matthieu is talking about the art style of the Pathfinder print books, which is cartoonish and manga influenced, with bright colours, huge swords and goofy goblins with huge round heads. This CRPG seems to be toning it down a bit. Still, I think Deadfire looks prettier.
    sarevok57Matthieumashedtaters
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    Pathfinder has announced their second edition!

Per the FAQ:
    Will the Pathfinder: Kingmaker computer game by Owlcat game use the new rules?
    No. The upcoming CRPG uses the existing Pathfinder rules

Read more about it here:

http://paizo.com/pathfinderplaytest
    sarevok57ShapiroKeatsDarkMagemashedtaters
    And Quote from their forum :
    We found ourselves in need of an additional NPC for our game – a Pathfinder Society traveling venture-captain. We are going to use this NPC to grant access to the Custom Companion feature, which’d allow players to create their own companions for the party. These companions would not have any quests, banters, etc, but allow players to have a full control of their party.
    [...]
    This NPC will be used as a minor figure in a certain quest somewhere mid-game. We are planning to have a dialogue with this character with an opportunity to ask who they are, and how they got here (assuming they are a loyal PFS member). We don’t plan for this dialogue to be anything major. Mostly, the NPC will be just standing conveniently and providing their function.
    sarevok57mashedtaters
    Really really cool !!!!!!! :)
    bleusteel
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    Oh for some reason I just now saw this thread even though I was tagged in it >_>

I AM SUPER HYPE. So while I've moved on from Pathfinder to 5e when it comes to PnP, I do like the Golarion setting with its Fey Gnomes, Kitsune, neat nations and backstory. My only gripe is I very much dislike the very human-centric deities they use. There are very for non-human deities such as there being only one gnome deity.

Anyway, as for the game I'm pretty excited. I know Kitsune didn't make it into the game but I can only hope expansions or DLC will add more races (though I sort of doubt it).

Also I believe the Kingmaker module has sections involving the First World which is the fey realm of the setting so I'm excited to see that as well.
    bleusteellordkimmashedtaters
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Looks like the additional paypal pledges unlocked the Extra Race stretch goal: Depending on what race will get the most votes it will be either Aasimar, Dhampir or Elemental.

Sadly we didn't get non-human related races. Playing as a humanoid rat would have been so much more fun. T-T
    ThacoBell
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    Sad no Kitsune or Catfolk, but I didn't expect them anyway.
    ThacoBell