Skip to content

Audio-related questions

Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
edited February 2018 in Builders - Toolset
As per title, a number of questions related to audio
  • Can we hope that the toolset will eventually support palette audio for BGM (many audio files playing in sequence) without having to resort to sound effect workarounds? (maybe multiple 2da entries? and a checkbox for saying sequential/randomised?)
  • Will you consider adding more conditions and variables for Sound effects (as in "in/out combat) etc?
  • Will you please add stereo support for all audio files in all instances (conversation, sound effect placement etc) so that all sounds work during conversation? (together with possibly more action tags?)
  • Is there any chance of making "sound addition" to the game more accessible, rather than Bif/override repacking? the option to take them externally then "bake" them in the module?
  • Would 2da extra columns be able to support loop points by sample and/or could the engine read them in the metadata of MP3s? Similar examples exist with OGG files. Can provide such file, if necessary.
  • Another thing: could audio possibly work that, when transitioning from one area to the other, if the BGM is the same, it is kept playing, rather than being restarted?
Post edited by Dark_Ansem on

Comments

• Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    Any word on this?
    I'm also throwing it here... allow pitch variations via 2da edit too=?
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    While we're at it: Any chance to preserve EAX support in the code so that people with Creative sound cards can use it with ALchemy?

Alternatively, any chance you'd use OpenAL's EFX library to recreate environmental audio effects for this game? EFX doesn't rely on specific hardware and is platform-independent, so everybody would get environmental audio regardless of their OS or sound card.

While we're at it: Any chance to preserve EAX support in the code so that people with Creative sound cards can use it with ALchemy?

Alternatively, any chance you'd use OpenAL's EFX library to recreate environmental audio effects for this game? EFX doesn't rely on specific hardware and is platform-independent, so everybody would get environmental audio regardless of their OS or sound card.

I don't think that can work. I don't think I have seen any recent hardware support EAX. Probably better solutions exist?

I don't think that can work. I don't think I have seen any recent hardware support EAX. Probably better solutions exist?

X-Fi was the last series of Creative sound cards with support for hardware-accelerated EAX (which still required ALchemy on any OS newer than Windows XP.) Newer Creative cards can do software-emulated EAX via ALchemy; indeed, any sound card—or even integrated on-board audio chips—can do software-emulated EAX using Creative's X-Fi MB3 software. It's not quite as good, I reckon, but it's better than nothing.

OpenAL EFX would likewise be software-emulated (I think the X-Fi cards could do it in hardware but don't quote me on that), but shouldn't require Creative hardware or software. IMO that would be the best solution.
    I know nothing about that really.
    That's OK; I'm no expert myself. I just wanted to put this on the radar while we're talking audio in hope the devs are reading this. :)
    Yes well, they've been here for quite some time. I don't think an answer is happening.
  • TheUncertainManTheUncertainMan Member Posts: 49
    Tried firing these questions off in the trello section? They added my daft Wav32bit support, so I don't see why they'd ignore this.

Tried firing these questions off in the trello section? They added my daft Wav32bit support, so I don't see why they'd ignore this.

Isn't that board only for confirmed features? @JuliusBorisov I am confused.
  • TheUncertainManTheUncertainMan Member Posts: 49
    Ah, my mistake. Yeah we're supposed to just mention it in the General bit I think.
    Just spam them, haha.
    @Dark_Ansem If you do mention these on Trello, I would be grateful if you could mention environmental and 3D positional audio (EAX / EFX) as well.

@Dark_Ansem If you do mention these on Trello, I would be grateful if you could mention environmental and 3D positional audio (EAX / EFX) as well.

Feel free to mention all of them, really!
    @JuliusBorisov is any of the above features planned and/or available in trello?