Skip to content

Skeleton Warrior Voices BG 1 -> BG2 ?

It might just be on the iPAD (as that is where I play IE games these days) but it seems to me that there's a big difference between the BG 1 Skeleton Warrior sounds and BG2 - where the BG sound set has some highly amusing cackles and over the top "Die !" voice bits. The BG2 sounds are rather lifeless ;)

Beamdog folks - is there anyway this could be made an option in the future to enable BG1 Skeleton Warrior sounds in BG2? Perhaps as one of those click-able diamonds in the settings section?

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    well it seems like the "humanoid" type warriors have the cackles while the giant ones have the different sounds ( in my opinion i actually enjoy the BG2 skeleton warrior sounds more haha )

so perhaps it is actually based on size for who says what, maybe the big ones have absolutely no voice box and can't make speech, hence the reason why they can't make actual speech sounds, while the small ones still do contain a voice box ( somehow ) and hence they make the sounds that they do
  • DonCzirrDonCzirr Member Posts: 165
    The higher level ones in BG 2 are ok - still not as good as BG1 IMO.

Would be nice to have the option for the more vocal versions in BG2 ...
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    sarevok57 said:

well it seems like the "humanoid" type warriors have the cackles while the giant ones have the different sounds ( in my opinion i actually enjoy the BG2 skeleton warrior sounds more haha )

so perhaps it is actually based on size for who says what, maybe the big ones have absolutely no voice box and can't make speech, hence the reason why they can't make actual speech sounds, while the small ones still do contain a voice box ( somehow ) and hence they make the sounds that they do

Nah, it's just pragmatism. Creatures can get soundsets via two routes: you can assign them on individual creature files, or define them in the animation itself (via the ini file). The latter is easier (especially for monsters), since you can fix any soundset bugs by editing a single file instead of multiple creature files.
    sarevok57Raduzieltbone1
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    CamDawg said:

sarevok57 said:

Nah, it's just pragmatism. Creatures can get soundsets via two routes: you can assign them on individual creature files, or define them in the animation itself (via the ini file). The latter is easier (especially for monsters), since you can fix any soundset bugs by editing a single file instead of multiple creature files.
    indeed, i did this for every creature in IWD for my mega IWD mod i made
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Love the skellies in BG, not so much in BG2.

They sound so cheerful. I find myself getting quite fond of them and I quite often heal them. And I also keep a few wandering around just for the hell of it sometimes.

But for me, the worst, worst thing about BG2 skellies is the way they follow the caster around. Whoever thought that was a good idea needs to be taken out and shot.

• JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    Is there an in-universe explanation for those huge skeleton warriors? Are well-armored ogre skeletons just a common thing or what?