Skip to content

BG:EE can not change settings

I can't change language, graphic settings, difficulty level and other options. Any time I change options and re-start game again, settings are on default. I tried solution from here:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/228280/discussions/0/135508031952920597/

but it's doesn't work.
My version is GOG 2.1.0.3. with SoD. Reinstallation with or without SoD is (not)working in the same way. I tried even clean registry after save changes and use solution from link above - but it's still not working.
Any ideas?

Comments

• GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @abelcaine, welcome to the forum.

What operating system are you on? I will assume Windows 10. Which part of teh solution did you try? Did you try and delete the baldur.lua or add the extra lines (and if you added the lines, was the game closed)?

If you added the lines, try deleting baldur.lua and starting the game.

Another thing to try is to pause your virus checker and retry. There has been a problem with some anti-virus engines under WIndows 10 interfering with the Documents folder.

BTW, the latest GOG version is 2.3.67.3_(a)_(10672) (at least last time I checked), so I would probably upgrade to that first. You will have a more enjoyable time of it.

Let us know how you go.
    Gus
  • abelcaineabelcaine Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2018
    Win10 indeed. But I tried also open game with win7 compability option, with no effect. I tried to delete/edit baldur.lua, but this doesn't work. I'll try with anti-virus then.

A few minuts later: tur off the AV doesn't help.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    @abelcaine my apologies if the following is too basic, but have you done something like this:
    - paused your virus checker and updated the game to v2.3.
    - with the game closed deleted the baldur.lua (not baldur.ini and checking the file deleted is in the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition folder and not the Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition folder - assuming you haven't changed the default installation addresses)?
    - started and closed the game to recreate the baldur.lua file.
    - checked a setting within baldur.lua, e.g. SetPrivateProfileString('Window','Full Screen','1') and closed the file again.
    - restarted the game and unticked full screen (within graphics options).
    - opened baldur.lua again to confirm it has changed to SetPrivateProfileString('Window','Full Screen','0').
    - quit baldur.lua and the game.

After having done that does the game still reset automatically to full screen when you restart again?
    Actually, i changed default installation direction for custom, it can be
    a problem?
    It shouldn't worry about the location of the install folder. The important bit is the folder ..\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition. I always run my games off my system drive. Also, no reason to set the compatibility. When you indicated that you tried to delete and didn't work, was it able to be deleted?

Did you try what Grond0 has suggested? This would confirm the correct baldur.lua and its ability to be edited. Could you also check the properties of baldur.lua to make sure that the file attributes isn't set to 'Read Only' for some reason and to make sure the filename isn't baldur.lua.txt.

Do you have other Beamdog games installed and are they running OK.

Gus
    Doesn't work. I opened game, changed settings and closed game. Then, check in lua file, and everything is like i want. But when restart game, settings are again default. I made all both of you suggest, except update to v2.3 - now i just can't do this unfortunatelly. Baldur.lua is not set to Read Only, and have no txt format. The file (lua) is able to be deleted.
    @abelcaine, found a bug report about this. It seems that if you are using non-ASCII characters in your path, it may reset. Is this the case for yourself? The link to the bug report gives a potential work around. There is further discussion about it here. What language are you trying to change to?

If the non-ASCII is the prob, there is another work around I can think of that may help, but give the bug report solution a go first. If it doesn't work, we can then try or at least test...

I am unsure whether this has been fixed for later releases; I can only assume that it has.

Gus
    edited February 2018
    Default language is polish (i'm curious, why game use this language as default by the way, there must be some sort of script recognizing system language or so...), language i want is english. I don't know what is ASCII. I mean, i cheked what it is, but don't understand this, so don't know how it can help me.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    You probably have non-ASCII characters in your name then.

It's how things work internally for computers. Computers like numbers, not letters. So each letter is actually represented by a number for computers. Of this, the letters that are numbered 0 to 127 are considered ASCII characters. The advantage of ASCII characters is that no matter what kind of number to letter conversion you use, these 'should' always be the same.

However, of these 128 characters, the characters 0 to 32 and 127 are reserved for computer operations, and aren't actually readable characters. Stuff like 'Carriage Return' (go one row down) or 'Backspace' (delete the previous character) don't really make a lot of sense when reading it. (Though 32 could be considered an exception, as it's a regular space.)

Thus, Ascii characters can have only the following:
    The letters a-z (lowercase, and NOT including letters with additions, such as the dots above ë)
    The letters A-Z (uppercase, and again without additions)
    The numbers 0-9
    The following symbols: ! " # $ % & ' ( ) = + , - . / : ; < = > ? @ [ \ ] ^ _ ` { | } ~
    Spaces and newlines

Any text containing 'letters' not listed above are not considered ASCII characters.

Note that despite \ being an ASCII character, it is still replaced by the Yen symbol when you use a Japanese localization.
    Changed my account name - indeed i had a specific polish letter in it. Then, restarded computer and repeated Grond0's guide. F*cking not work.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Ah, well, worth a shot, though there would be serious issues if that was really the cause of the problem. I seriously doubt you're the only one with non-ascii characters in their username.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    Did you try reinstalling the game after you renamed the folder it was in? Also what's the problem with updating the game - does GOG not support updates?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited February 2018
    It may be:
    1) a Windows Controlled Folder Access problem
    2) an Antivirus issue
    No, i not try to reinstall after rename user. Maybe a good idea will be also clean registers? About update, now i'm in place where net signal is to weak. When i'll be back home in the city then i'll try update. Funny, tha global network is not avaiable everywhere on the globe:)
    edited February 2018
    @abelcaine, I keep my docs area on a seperate drive (D:\_Docs) rather than the system drive. The other method I was talking about is to move your documents (right click on the 'documents' library, select properties, then location). If you don't have a seperate drive, you can still place it on your system drive but just call it 'c:\Docs'. This way, it takes it away from the protected areas and gives it a very small path (and all ASCII chars). It is also easy to back up. Not sure if you share your PC with others but if you do, and you want to keep your docs away, then you would need to take that into account.

Gus

Edit: Another reason... in older versions of Windows, changing the name of the account did not change the path name. There are a bunch of security details that are imbedded when the inital UserID is set. If you have a look at your path, it is likely to be what it was before... Setting a new home for docs will fix that.
    Post edited by Gusinda on
    Finally! Problem solved! Relocation 'documents' to other direction helped.
    Thaks all of you for help.