Skip to content

Cannot Play since update 74.8159

Since update 74.8159 I cannot play NWN:EE. The game crashes on the intro movie every time I try to log on. I verified the game twice on the Beamdog client. When that didn't fix it, I turned off the intro movies in the nwn.ini. It still crashes. I cannot play the game.

Here is my crash report: https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/35549

Has anyone else run into this since the last update?

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Hello! It looks like there's not enough info for our Team to proceed on your report.

The error 'suggests' a video driver issue of some sort (Nvidia OpenGL implementation).

One recommendation is to reinstall drivers w/ Clean Installation set, and check for a local 3D profile on the game.

Please, turn the settings down in the local profile (so it doesn't affect other programs) and see if it makes any difference.
  • Knight_ShieldKnight_Shield Member Posts: 51
    Hey try update your video drivers...
  • charissa1066charissa1066 Member Posts: 33
    edited February 2018

Hello! It looks like there's not enough info for our Team to proceed on your report.

The error 'suggests' a video driver issue of some sort (Nvidia OpenGL implementation).

One recommendation is to reinstall drivers w/ Clean Installation set, and check for a local 3D profile on the game.

Please, turn the settings down in the local profile (so it doesn't affect other programs) and see if it makes any difference.

What more information do you need? I sent all of the crash reports. In addition, I messaged one of you what video card I have (Nvidia GeForce 750M). It is running the latest driver.

Other video games run fine on my computer. Up until the last update, NWN:EE ran fine on my computer.

I do not understand how to check for a "local 3D profile".
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited February 2018
    Nvidia Control Panel can be found from Windows Control Panel. It should be on the Manage 3D Settings tab, and then the Program Settings tab.

@JuliusBorisov I contacted Nvidia tech support. The Nvidia technician fixed the problem. I can now log onto the game.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited February 2018
    Great to hear! Happy playing!

Can you tell us what the tech advised?
    charissa1066
    @JuliusBorisov I followed your instructions, but couldn't find OpenGL rendering in the features list on my driver. I contacted Nvidia. The tech had me run a "msinfo32" (system configuration) file and discovered that my driver was indeed outdated. I had been told it wasn't. The tech walked me through a "clean" reinstall. Next time, I will verify the driver myself. Sorry for any distress this caused you at Beamdog.
    edited February 2018
    @JuliusBorisov I spoke too soon. :'( I was able to log onto the game once. Now, it is crashing just like before. I consulted Nvidia again and followed the tech's instructions. I used DisplayDriverUninstaller and then reinstalled the newest driver. It still crashes. The tech said it is a game specific issue, because I can play other games and watch videos without a problem.
    Here's my bug report.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    Do you have 1.69 installed? If so, does it work correctly for you?

-JFK
    JFK said:

Do you have 1.69 installed? If so, does it work correctly for you?

-JFK

Not on this computer. I have it on an old laptop. It crashes on certain tilesets though. The video card can't handle it.

What happens if you open the module in the Toolset and then hit F9?

JFK said:

What happens if you open the module in the Toolset and then hit F9?

I haven't tried. Can one DM or play the game via the Toolset?
    You can test a module directly from the Toolset by striking the F9 key. This skips some of the stuff, and loads the module, using the first PC in your list of pcs (alphabetically sorted, I think).
  • Knight_ShieldKnight_Shield Member Posts: 51
    Hey ...It's the video driver . I can play it now that I updated.
    JFK

Hey ...It's the video driver . I can play it now that I updated.

That's great @Knight_Shield! Unfortunately, I did update my video driver and it still crashes. I have come to the conclusion that I will have to update to Windows 10. Perhaps then I will be able to play NWN:EE again. I know that I'm dragging my feet on updating. Nonetheless, I have my reasons for not updating to Windows 10 right now.
  • ShaidenShaiden Member Posts: 181
    edited March 2018
    We're still tracking this! It hasn't left my desk for investigation.

Edit: More details!

We have a few suspicions as to what may be causing it, but we're trying to track down a repro-case on our end so we can get to debugging. The timeline on that will be based on what we find, and when we find it, but I haven't moved the bug from my queue.
    Shaiden said:

We're still tracking this! It hasn't left my desk for investigation.

Edit: More details!

We have a few suspicions as to what may be causing it, but we're trying to track down a repro-case on our end so we can get to debugging. The timeline on that will be based on what we find, and when we find it, but I haven't moved the bug from my queue.

Good news! I just updated to 74.8164 and NWN:EE works! On my own Window 8.1 computer no less. I managed to log into both the original content and onto the PW, Realms of Annakolia. Thank you!!!
    ronaldo