Skip to content

My PS4 Pro is out of storage space.

BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
edited March 2018 in Off-Topic
Fortunately I have a spare external hard drive.

But dang, 1 TB is nothing.

And I mean I know 1 TB is nothing. My PC has 7 TB of storage and it's not enough.

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I have the same problem.

I tend to have to juggle installing games on my Xbox. It wouldn't be a problem if I would actually sit down, choose a title to play from start to finish, then uninstall it before starting a new game, but I seem to be unable to do that anymore.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited March 2018
    It's bad. I just moved my PS4 Not-Pro into my bedroom since I never use it in the living room, and have been playing again. I am going to have buy an external drive (there is a 4TB one on Amazon for $100). There are NO games that take up less than 13 GB on my base drive right now. Some, like The Witcher 3 and Dragon Age: Inquisition are closer to 70 GB.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    edited March 2018
    I really want to get that hard drive, although I probably won't be able to afford it for awhile. Right now, I have a three TB external drive I'm going to add to my PS4.

What bugs me is that all but two games on my PS4 are on disk, and yet they're still fully installed to the hard disk. It probably makes the games faster, but it kind of makes the disks superfluous and puts space at a premium.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850

I really want to get that hard drive, although I probably won't be able to afford it for awhile. Right now, I have a three TB external drive I'm going to add to my PS4.

What bugs me is that all but two games on my PS4 are on disk, and yet they're still fully installed to disc. It probably makes the games faster, but it kind of makes the discs superfluous and puts space at a premium.

I agree, I don't fully understand it either. ALL my games on on disc, and I have to switch them out. What's even weirder is that the games take up install space on the hard drive INSTANTLY for the base game, but it can't be actually installing anything, since DLCs and patches can take hours depending on the size.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    The Disc is only DRM once its contents are installed.
    Yeah, I realize. It just strikes me as terrible.
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    Ok so basically games are huge now, right? The Blu-Ray has 50GB of space and a lot of games use it
    But the PS4 has like 8 gigs of RAM and I'm sure some of it is dedicated to OS
    So to play the game, you have to load chunks of data from storage to faster memory
    Now, read speed of BR is hilariously terrible. It's like 25 MB per second on the PS4. So to keep load times from being abysmal you need to have them on a faster medium. So it's installed to the HDD.

PS3 also suffered from that. The Xbox 360 not so much, since it used regular DVDs.

And of course they're gonna take up space instantly, the disc carries a size signature so the OS can know how much space it needs saved up. So you won't have an install failure 90% into the process. 50GB of hard disc space is reserved for the OS, by the way.

PS3 had it even worse though lmao. It had no OS space reserved, but you needed twice the drivespace to install anything because the Cell architecture was extremely bad at unpacking. So if you were installing variant amount of games, your best bet was to go from largest to smallest

Overall, a net improvement
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Wait, I thought not installing games was supposed to be an advantage consoles had over PCs?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

Wait, I thought not installing games was supposed to be an advantage consoles had over PCs?

I know right?
    Almateria said:

Ok so basically games are huge now, right? The Blu-Ray has 50GB of space and a lot of games use it
    But the PS4 has like 8 gigs of RAM and I'm sure some of it is dedicated to OS
    So to play the game, you have to load chunks of data from storage to faster memory
    Now, read speed of BR is hilariously terrible. It's like 25 MB per second on the PS4. So to keep load times from being abysmal you need to have them on a faster medium. So it's installed to the HDD.

PS3 also suffered from that. The Xbox 360 not so much, since it used regular DVDs.

And of course they're gonna take up space instantly, the disc carries a size signature so the OS can know how much space it needs saved up. So you won't have an install failure 90% into the process. 50GB of hard disc space is reserved for the OS, by the way.

PS3 had it even worse though lmao. It had no OS space reserved, but you needed twice the drivespace to install anything because the Cell architecture was extremely bad at unpacking. So if you were installing variant amount of games, your best bet was to go from largest to smallest

Overall, a net improvement

I know all of this but I do not have to like it.

2004 Dude, listen
    So many bad things happen in the last 14 years, but you can still save people
    Lemme compile the list of natural disasters, political collusions, and terrorist attacks
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Almateria said:

2004 Dude, listen
    Lemme compile the list of natural disasters, political collusions, and terrorist attacks
    Ok?
    edited March 2018
    Almateria said:

2004 Dude, listen
    Right, okay. The XBox One and Playstation 4 came out in November 2013 in the United States. The XBox 360 could install to the hard drive, but didn't have to, and the PS3 didn't install to a hard drive. So implying that this was only like this two generations back is not exactly accurate. Four and a half years ago isn't nearly as clever to mock as 14 though, is it?
    The PS3 installed the game whenever the game was larger than DVD-sized.
    This is not exactly accurate. Some games installed a portion to the hard drive, but typically ran from disk. The exception being when you purchased the game digitally and downloaded it.