Skip to content

GOG Galaxy?

Beamdog, you just got me hyped. But please don't leave GOG users out in the rain and consider to add achievements (if other platforms get them) and cloud saves support this time.

Also thanks for the extensive FAQ :)
CvijetasaramakosTaro94[Deleted User]TorreyHDaemondevirNecdilzor

Comments

• CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    Agreed!
  • Nova_PyxisNova_Pyxis Member Posts: 8
    Agreed.
  • ClisairClisair Member Posts: 15
    If it doesn't go to GOG I won't be able to buy it.
    fetito666 said:

You can still buy it on beamdog.com and use the Beamdog-Client. Moreover you can also request an optional Steam key for free once you bought on beamdog.com.

Don't want anything Steam. When I purchase a game I want a game, not a service.

[Deleted User]dTd
  • fetito666fetito666 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 204
    Clisair said:

fetito666 said:

You can still buy it on beamdog.com and use the Beamdog-Client. Moreover you can also request an optional Steam key for free once you bought on beamdog.com.

Don't want anything Steam. When I purchase a game I want a game, not a service.

No problem! The Beamdog-Launcher works like a charm. It's a good alternative too.
    JuliusBorisovdunahan
    Is there any nasty DRM stuff with the Beamdog launcher? Do you have to be online and such just to play the game?
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Clisair said:

Is there any nasty DRM stuff with the Beamdog launcher? Do you have to be online and such just to play the game?

Nope. You can run the game without the beamdog client running at all. It's just a tool for installing/updating.
    JuliusBorisovfetito666[Deleted User]dunahan
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    My experience is that the client won't launch unless you are online. However the game is launchable from the install directory.

TR
    JuliusBorisov[Deleted User]dunahan
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Hmm... GOG has not been very nice to Beamdog in the past. I get the feeling they don't like Beamdog much.
    fetito666
  • RoykirkRoykirk Member Posts: 2
    I'm a fan of GoG as well and would rather buy there than anywhere else. I'll hold off on pre-ordering and wait for it to arrive there.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited March 2018
    My experience is that the client won't launch unless you are online. However the game is launchable from the install directory.

Of course, since I wrote that, now there is the option to play offline if you are not connected. Typical, progress and all that.

TR
  • WaltCWaltC Member Posts: 5
    Tresset said:

Hmm... GOG has not been very nice to Beamdog in the past. I get the feeling they don't like Beamdog much.

There are two or three people who idiotically post on the GOG forums who believe that Beamdog gets the rights to the IP they "enhance" without paying for them--which is utterly stupid. Beamdog should never react negatively because of a few dummies profaning the GOG forums for the Beamdog games...! I want to buy on GOG because I not only want no DRM--I also want an installable copy of the games I buy. Very important. I own 281 games on GOG and 52 on Steam, accordingly. If I could I'd move everything to GOG distribution. Been gaming for decades and am accustomed to owning an installable copy of every game I own. Only Steam prohibits me in that fashion.

Is the Beamdog version an installable copy or does it force me to go through Steam? Is there any online DRM involved when buying direct from Beamdog? Thanks-to anyone who knows...
    Pekingduckman
  • raz651raz651 Member Posts: 175
    WaltC said:

Tresset said:

Is the Beamdog version an installable copy or does it force me to go through Steam? Is there any online DRM involved when buying direct from Beamdog? Thanks-to anyone who knows...

From the main page on Beamdog.com

DRM FREE
    No digital rights management when you buy on Beamdog.com.
    WaltCdTddunahan
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    beamdogs games even on steam don't have drm. you can move game folders on your desk top and they will still run.

for that matter most games work on steam if you play them off line the ones that don't are the minority and tend to be by the devs causing the issue in the first place.
    fetito666
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,269
    @megamike15 "most games work on steam if you play them off line"

...but they still require the Steam client to be running in "offline" mode. Problem is, only Steam knows what the client is doing in that mode, so it's not lurkware-free, and may or may not be spying on the player, for all we know. Safer by far to play on a Steam-free client.
    dTd
  • ActarusActarus Member Posts: 78
    I want the game on GOG also
    TorreyHbatoor
  • TorreyHTorreyH Member Posts: 3
    Please play nice with GoG. There is no distributor more in harmony with your purpose. I bought this game, and all the expansions, on release. I bought the Diamond edition on GoG, because I Iove the game and want to keep it alive. I shouldn't have to buy it again to get the EE.
  • RifkinRifkin Member Posts: 141
    TorreyH said:

Please play nice with GoG. There is no distributor more in harmony with your purpose. I bought this game, and all the expansions, on release. I bought the Diamond edition on GoG, because I Iove the game and want to keep it alive. I shouldn't have to buy it again to get the EE.

You will have to purchase it again for the Enhanced Edition. The Enhancements aren't free. Developers are humans too, they need to eat and have a roof over their heads.
    Drakon
    I have the DIamond too, and will buy it again for the EE no trouble, but I don't support Steam. I would go with Beamdog, but since I own all others on GOG, I will stay on this platform
  • WaltCWaltC Member Posts: 5
    Yes, I know that Steam doesn't always require that the client be running in order to play the game--two AAA games I bought on Steam (only because they were not on GOG at the same time), Witcher 3 and Pillars of Eternity, are DRM-free and the games can be run directly from the game executable and the Steam client doesn't even run, in that case (Or, you can run it through the client--it's up to you.) Valve has often stated that the game dev decides how much DRM, if any, he wants to use in his game--whereas GOG doesn't allow it period. "Offline mode" only applies to those games for which the Steam client must be run. However, the thing that Steam lacks even when its games are DRM-free is *an installable copy* of your game. Steam *never* provides that. GOG provides it with every game it sells.

I really don't understand why Beamdog isn't selling through GOG with this game release--since their other games have been offered through GOG. Really puzzling.
    raz651 said:

WaltC said:

Tresset said:

From the main page on Beamdog.com

DRM FREE
    No digital rights management when you buy on Beamdog.com.
    Thanks for the info
  • TorreyHTorreyH Member Posts: 3
    Rifkin said:

TorreyH said:

You will have to purchase it again for the Enhanced Edition. The Enhancements aren't free. Developers are humans too, they need to eat and have a roof over their heads.
    Beamdog is not a game developer. They make mods, which is what this is. They didn't make this game - Bioware did. Which again, I bought, at full retail price. And then bought it again, on GOG, to keep it from becoming abandonware, and because I don't like Steam. GOG also paid for the right to distribute an updated version of this very old game - same as Beamdog. Just like the Infinity engine games, it's the fans and the FREE mod makers who have kept NWN alive. That's what I mean by playing nice, with GOG and the gamer community. I'm not asking for a freebie, but I do think the EE mod should be available through GOG, and they should respect those who have already purchased the GAME though GOG. Hope that's clear. :)
  • dTddTd Member Posts: 182
    Well, let's see. 5 versions with expansions of the original game for family and friends, 3 diamond editions through GOG and now 3 versions through Beamdog of EE. I think this game is far from dead. I bought it through Beamdog because I wanted them to get the money direct from me though I would have bought it through GOG if it was there and not here.
  • NWN_TömlNWN_Töml Member Posts: 90
    I dont think that Beamdog is creating a "mod". Because in general modifications for games arent that huge feature and programming wise now a days. Total conversions are rare these days and even if there might be some very few TC´s out there nothing comes close to what Beamdog can do with NWN... so NO. i disagree completely that NWN EE is just a mod...
    megamike15ronaldoZwerkulesdTd
    Any update?
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    edited April 2018
    TorreyH said:

but I do think the EE mod should be available through GOG, and they should respect those who have already purchased the GAME though GOG.

So respect the people who had to PAY HUGE AMOUNTS OF MONEY TO LICENSE THE GAME to even begin to start updating it. Do you think they just stole Bioware's work and are reselling it to make pure profit? Do you not understand basic economics? Why would anyone want to pay huge amounts of money, have a small team work years and years, and give it away for free? How are they supposed to pay the small team, keep the lights on, and make a living with an incredibly niche product? Were you somehow under the impression they could update and sell it without tough licensing agreements with EA?

If you want Beamdog's updates, pay for them. If you don't, understand that they have no obligation to provide free work to you. It's just a mod right? So keep your money. Win/win. You save your precious $20... If only we could be spared the whining.
    megamike15zordren3742
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    If both companies have a license to distribute an updated version of the game then it's understandable that there might be some issues. They are both still the same game from the perspective of the buyer with several small diverging differences for the consumer.

I'm sure that both companies can come to an agreement to sell the Beamdog version through the GOG store and if that includes different options to other stores such as a $10 upgrade from Diamond Edition to Enhanced Edition or not is really up to those two companies to work out. It may be that the Diamond Edition is bundled with the Enhanced Edition for the full $20 and that Beamdog gets a slightly reduced profit from GOG sales.

People screaming at each other in online forums probably has nothing to do with it at the end of the day.
    MrDamageTorreyHNostariel
    I'm a GOG user, and they are very hostile toward enhanced game. At first I thought they disliked Beamdog, but reading the forum about Simon the Sorcerer 25th anniversary, they are very hostile toward the release of new version of game.

All I hope is that their attitude has nothing to do with the EE not being released.

Yet the forums are hostile, but I think Beamdog games sale are quite good on the platform.
    megamike15zordren3742
    Enhanced Edition are very popular on GOG

There is a sale right now, the most wishlisted game. 1st place is Witcher 3, 2nd is PST:EE and 3rd is BGII:EE

So what tops our community's wishlists?
    The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and expansions hold the #1 spot – grab the complete Game of the Year Edition at 60% off, or continue the story with Hearts of Stone or Blood and Wine both 50% off.
    A close second – Planescape: Torment – the legendary RPG's Enhanced Edition is 67% off right now. Followed by the genre-defining Baldur's Gate II in third place – now at 75% off the Enhanced Edition.

Source: GOG forum

So @TrentOster hope you get a deal with GOG soon.
    dTdJuliusBorisovDrakonzordren3742