Skip to content

Does NWN still feature the "can't create archways" issue?

Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
edited March 2018 in NWN:EE Modules
So, NWN had an issue which got transplanted to Dragon Age: not possible to actually create archways and have characters walk below them.
Has this been fixed in the EE?

Comments

• ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,268
    No - as far as I'm aware.

There are placeable arches you can walk under in CEP, but you can't walk over them.

In general, walkmesh can still only have one height at a given (x, y)... unless anyone knows better.
    Dark_AnsemSylvus_Moonbow
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    edited March 2018
    Proleric said:

No - as far as I'm aware.

There are placeable arches you can walk under in CEP, but you can't walk over them.

In general, walkmesh can still only have one height at a given (x, y)... unless anyone knows better.

Walking over them wasn't the issue: back then, I remember not being able to walk under the arches. Thanks.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    z-axis walkmesh cannot occupy the same space as a walkmesh along the x-y axis. If you can walk along a bridge you cannot walk beneath it. If you can walk beneath the bridge you cannot walk along top of it.
    Dark_Ansem
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    At least not without some manipulation... I think you can make it appear to be interchangeable with invisible placeables, spawned or despawned, that override the terrain walkmesh. So, you could have a trigger that allows for crossing over the bridge, and another for crossing under the bridge. But never both at once.

Again, I think this is the case. Brighter minds could confirm or deny this.

-JFK
  • symmetricsymmetric Member Posts: 57
    edited March 2018
    The terrain in NWN is still only 2.5D, i.e. you can not have overlapping (walk-able) areas - like the other have said. However, there were some attempts by the community to create workarounds and there was a video of it on youtube, but I can't find it unfortunately.

Walking over them wasn't the issue: back then, I remember not being able to walk under the arches. Thanks.

Are you specifically referring to those huge CEP arches? If so, then yes they sometimes have the problem of not being able to properly move in between them. That's mainly the problem of their walkmeshes and not NWN in general.
    But those were only placeables, you couldn't walk over them at all, only under them. Generally placeable archways are possible and there is no problem with walking under them.
    Post edited by symmetric on
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    edited March 2018

z-axis walkmesh cannot occupy the same space as a walkmesh along the x-y axis. If you can walk along a bridge you cannot walk beneath it. If you can walk beneath the bridge you cannot walk along top of it.

That is also what I'm talking about. So that hasn't changed, but CEP arches work.
  • thirdmousethirdmouse Member Posts: 67
    edited March 2018
    JFK said:

At least not without some manipulation... I think you can make it appear to be interchangeable with invisible placeables, spawned or despawned, that override the terrain walkmesh. So, you could have a trigger that allows for crossing over the bridge, and another for crossing under the bridge. But never both at once.

Again, I think this is the case. Brighter minds could confirm or deny this.

-JFK

Technically, but that only works if the placeable is static, so it'd get baked at area load and not be flipped on/off "dynamically" :\ (The placeable also needs to be the exactly the size of the tile, which isn't necessarily a problem but could be a factor.)

On the actual "arches" thing, like Symmetric mentioned, it's not really anything to do with arches in general or 1.69 vs EE so much as how the placeable or tile's specific walkmeshes were set up.
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    @thirdmouse Thanks for clarifying. I recall reading about some experimenting with the technique a few years back, but couldn't remember the details.
    Dark_Ansem