Skip to content

Just for fun, why do we care about infravision in Baldur's Gate?

CharlestonianTemplarCharlestonianTemplar Member Posts: 855
edited March 2018 in BG:EE Mods
So, I was thinking back to playing D&D 2nd Edition. If you were human and didn't have infravision, you could get pummeled, especially in a deep, dark dungeon, against Orcs, Goblins or anything else that had infravision, and most everything down there did.

We could & would buy torches at any store (1 cp - copper and silver pieces were used in 2nd Edition AD&D) to use underground/dungeons (of course, they let enemies/monsters know we were coming too).

A kind Dungeon Master might go easy on you if your torches burned out, maybe choosing not to have those 'random monsters' attack you when they just rolled % dice that indicated otherwise. But some DMs, well, not so much. :neutral:

But in Baldur's Gate, we can see whether we have infravision or not. Now, I always play a human but I keep the Helm or Ring of Infravision for role playing purposes , trying to ensure anyone in my party without infravision has something to use as well.

I can do the same as above and assume we have torches in, e.g., Firewine Ruins. But then, the Helm & Ring of Infravision are just items to sell and have no in-real game use.

Again, this is just to chew on for fun. Thoughts? CT

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    It affects exactly one loot stash in SoD, so, there's that I guess. I almost exclusively play half-orcs and halflings though.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    ThacoBell said:

It affects exactly one loot stash in SoD, so, there's that I guess. I almost exclusively play half-orcs and halflings though.

Two, IIRC. You need infravision to dive in a pool and to find a stash.
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    We care about Infravision because it's a game-balance issue. If we did not have the ability so widely available among Charnames and NPCs , the spell would be the only way to obtain Infravision, and Diviners would be so overpowered as to break the game. Right?
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Tax purposes.
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    ThacoBell said:

I was stumped by this particular puzzle for the longest time and had to come to the forums for help precisely because the last mechanic I could have possibly suspected to be at play in a BG game was infravision.

As for taxes, @tbone1, are we supposed to claim infravision as an expense or report it as income?
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

As for taxes, @tbone1, are we supposed to claim infravision as an expense or report it as income?

Both. Or neither, if there are two outs and runners in scoring position.

BTW, if you've ever wondered what inspired the 'Confusion' and 'Feeblemind' spells, dig into the US tax code.

• CharlestonianTemplarCharlestonianTemplar Member Posts: 855
    tbone1 said:

Both. Or neither, if there are two outs and runners in scoring position.

BTW, if you've ever wondered what inspired the 'Confusion' and 'Feeblemind' spells, dig into the US tax code.

That's just funny as hell. Well played. :smiley: