Skip to content

Less chests but with more treasure

helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
edited March 2018 in Official Campaigns
Really, especially during the first chapter, I feel like I am a street sweeper. There are so many chests and things all over the place that it feels ridiculous (really, who would leave all those things around the street, even if "hidden" in chests?)

I think there should be far less chests but far more meaningful (with more treasure). It would save A LOT of boredom. Same with enemies in some areas, but I guess this second part wont be heard.

Ps I am talking especially about the OC

Comments

• BalkothBalkoth Member Posts: 157
    The devs are aware of the issues as are most players. So far the devs have said they'd rather move forward. I've offered to volunteer time and energy to upgrade the original campaign, we'll see if anything comes out of it.
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    Balkoth said:

The devs are aware of the issues as are most players. So far the devs have said they'd rather move forward. I've offered to volunteer time and energy to upgrade the original campaign, we'll see if anything comes out of it.

What do they mean by "move forward"? Forgetting about the OC? Then, what is the point of an EE edition, considering that the multiplayer players are a minority and mods take a long time to be made? (Besides, modding comunity is small compared to what it was fifteen years ago).

• 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    I can't emphasize enough how annoying the loot in the OC is.

A locked chest holding 1-5 coins and random loot scattered all around the streets is ridiculous. And bashing / picking chests all the time everywhere is really frustrating.

But I guess we won't be seeing that nonsense again. I hope!
  • BalkothBalkoth Member Posts: 157
    helmo1977 said:

What do they mean by "move forward"? Forgetting about the OC?

Yes. They've apparently tossed around ideas, but it would take massive massive effort to do a "proper" director's cut...and they also run the risk of upsetting people who liked the original version if they take a giant axe to the OC.
    helmo1977 said:

Then, what is the point of an EE edition, considering that the multiplayer players are a minority and mods take a long time to be made?

1. Compatibility with modern systems.

2. Slight improvement of graphics (or maybe more than slight, depending on your perspective).

4. Fix of several game engine bugs that modules can't address.

4. Multiplayer being a minority or not, a replacement for the Gamespy server.

• FaerûnFaerûn Member Posts: 39
    edited March 2018
    While I share your grievances about the original campaign, I have to agree with Beamdog's decision to put their effort into other things. While strange chests strewn about the city is poor design, it doesn't break the game. In addition to the improvements Balkoth outlined, Beamdog is working hard to improve other aspects of the game that will affect the OC indirectly, such as balancing spells and hopefully fixing broken skills like Parry.

The multiplayer community still holds hundreds of active players (NWNScry typically puts the player count between 200-700 depending on time of day) and I for one am hoping that number will grow exponentially with the coming release of the Enhanced Edition. Additionally, upgraded modding tools means new and better single player modules for anyone like yourself that doesn't want to play online, as well as the possibility for a community made "Directors Cut" or similar original campaign edits that you're looking for.

• 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    Instead of going back and tweaking the wailing death campaign they should create something completely new, with new assets and not repeat the design mistakes of the past.
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    edited March 2018

Instead of going back and tweaking the wailing death campaign they should create something completely new, with new assets and not repeat the design mistakes of the past.

I would certainly like to see new content, but I guess deleting a few dozens coffers in the first chapter and putting more treasure in a few chosen ones cant take too much time. And it would save us lots of boredom. After all, until premiun modules or good new modules start being finished it will take one or two years, probably. What can people do in the meantime but playing the OCs or old modules? (basically, what you can do now with no EE edition, unless you play MP, but those are a minority)

In short, I think tweaking the OCs a bit would be a good move, or people will soon see there isnt much to do with the EE edition that they couldnt do before. BGs, IWD and PST EE editions were made thinking on improving the OCs. And I think they were sucessfull at that. I understand they have a different approach for NWN EE, but that doesnt mean they should completely forget about the OCs, imho, or people might move elsewhere before the benefits of the EE edition are seen.
  • NeonGatoNeonGato Member Posts: 1
    I think having some sort of overhaul of the campaigns could go far especially when it comes to replayability. However it would probably take a lot of time from other developement. I'm not sure if the answer is to rework them as community or hope the devs eventually have time to do it.

Everything from rebalancing the amount of containers to smoothing out the difficulty (like slight nerfs to some of the earliest hardest fights but major buffs to most other combat throughout the game to keep it interesting and rewarding) would go far. If most encounters would be against at least moderate difficulty opponents instead of easy/effortless (and the few remaining actual low CR fights should be big swarms of enemies instead of couple) it would make it more engaging, of course the amount of experience might throw the endgame into level 20 or bit over it but if the bosses and loot got tuned for the changes it would probably be fine.
  • SuperFunHappySuperFunHappy Member Posts: 44
    When it comes to looting in the OC you don't have to loot every single crate/chest you come across. If you play the OC enough times you will know where all the good loot is and where all the random crap is.

For me when I play the OC I have a few special rules. I only loot from dead enemy bodies and from chests shaped like a pyramid with a smooth top. If there is a boss fight/tough enemy in the area where a normal chest or a throne is I loot that too but I don't loot those if they are in spots where there is either no enemy or some random cannon fodder. I also don't loot crates as well because off the top of my head I can't recall getting anything useful from them.