Skip to content

How does user/play name work? Can't log into PWs now

FinalStandFinalStand Member Posts: 87
edited February 2018 in Technical Support
I have Beamdog DD. It got all wonky and I did a clean reinstall.

Same CD Key.

But now when I try to log into some PWs using same username before (the popup box it asks for), it keeps saying "Username refused by server."

I tried a new username and all of them are being rejected now.

So basically, I can't play on any PWs that I've played before (including me own! I can't even test my own private LAN!).

How is this username suppose to work?

Comments

• FinalStandFinalStand Member Posts: 87
    I can't even log into my own server, wtf? I tried different usernames.

https://i.imgur.com/B1KtH2H.png

This is really frustrating. My CD key is the same, I don't know how you are tracking usernames across cdkeys/installs?

• MadHatterMadHatter Member Posts: 145
    You need to go to nwn.ini and you’ll see your player name is blank. Set one there and you should be fine.
    JuliusBorisov
    I searched all my ini's and don't see player or user name.

When I try to connect, it asks me to enter one. But it rejects every one I've tried (even random stuff).
    edited February 2018

I tried clean install of both Beamdog and of Steam Clients. Both are having same issues.

Can someone tell me what exactly this is authenticating against?

I tried a bunch of random characters like 'lasdkoiuwaet' for my username and still gives same errors. I can't log into any PWs with any user name with either Beamdog or Steam clients.

What the hell is going on ?

Is this a local problem, a PW server problem or some type of master authentication problem?

ok, so in nwnplayer.ini under [Profile] I set Player Name=grims

logged into remote PW. That worked.

Logged out and then logged back into LAN PW.

I guess there is something type of master server authentication on remote games that isn't done on local games?

again, I'd like to know how this works. It's not documented as far as I can see and doesn't work the same as the old Gamespy Master server.

• nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    Hey,

can you perchance provide repro steps so we can trace this back reliably? I can't get it to happen in any testing here.

Thanks.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited February 2018
    niv said:

Hey,

can you perchance provide repro steps so we can trace this back reliably? I can't get it to happen in any testing here.

Thanks.

Sure.

Log into remote PW, set your user name (using GUI/text field. Click 'save as default')

! Do a fresh reinstall !

Try to log into LAN PW. It will ask for username. Anything you try won't work.

Doesn't work.

Works.

I can't prove it, but seems like local versus remote PWs authenticate differently.

Something with authentication against LAN first (before user is set) instead of remote PW?

Post edited by FinalStand on
  • ChaoticDrowChaoticDrow Member Posts: 1
    I'd like to give this a bump in the hopes someone has figured out something related to this. I had a similar issue: when trying to join any multiplayer server, I would receive a "Your player name has been refused by the server" error message. I was able to bypass error this by editing the nwnplayer.ini file and setting Player Name = desiredname.

The problem now though, is attempting to join any multiplayer server results in a "Connection Error: Your CD Key is unauthorized" message. Are these two issues linked in any way? Removing the PlayerName from the .ini and entering the name via the GUI results in the player name refusal message, so it seems like that line needs to stay in the file. I purchased just the NWN:Enhanced Edition (not digital deluxe), if relevant.
    dTd
  • dTddTd Member Posts: 182
    My wife is having this exact same issue, If I figure it out I'll post it for sure.
    Well I thought it was because she installed both the regular and early access, so I uninstalled the regular in hopes but no, if there's no player name set, it asks, then you set it, then it says "server has refused tyour player name" if you try again ,it says cdkey is unauthorized.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Maybe it happens because when you first installed a version from Beamdog, you had one CdKey. Then, if you migrated to Steam, uninstalled and reinstalled the NWN:EE folder from Documents, CdKey changed.
    Nope, she doesn't use steam, but it's fixed now. Support told me to try deleting the cdkey and starting twice which seemed to fix it. Hurray! :)
    dTd said:

Nope, she doesn't use steam, but it's fixed now. Support told me to try deleting the cdkey and starting twice which seemed to fix it. Hurray! :)

yea, it's really glitchy. I found sometimes deleted it from config, then logging in and making sure it was checked fixed it (doesn't work unless 'save as default' is checked). It's really odd.

I also have a bunch of users on my server say same thing. I just have to kind of shrug, not sure the best work around, but will try deleting cdkey next time.
    FinalStand: Have you had issues with lootable mob corpses? I normally use a couple functions to set all mobs to leave a lootable corpse but it seems they do leave the corpse, but it isn't lootable, it decays and leaves a loot sack. Run into this? Here's how I've been doing it:

SetIsDestroyable(FALSE, FALSE, TRUE);
    DelayCommand(1.0, SetLootable(OBJECT_SELF, TRUE));

in the on spawn.
    dTd said:

FinalStand: Have you had issues with lootable mob corpses? I normally use a couple functions to set all mobs to leave a lootable corpse but it seems they do leave the corpse, but it isn't lootable, it decays and leaves a loot sack. Run into this? Here's how I've been doing it:

SetIsDestroyable(FALSE, FALSE, TRUE);
    DelayCommand(1.0, SetLootable(OBJECT_SELF, TRUE));

in the on spawn.

Are you replaying to wrong thread?

I don't use lootable corpses, so haven't had that issue.
    No, I was asking if you had but thanks for the reply. It's under my skin why this is happening so suddenly that's all.
  • FunkeymonkeyFunkeymonkey Member Posts: 1
    Reinstalled nwn with Steam

Followed your advice and can log into the server but it's treating me like a new player.
    None of my toons are available.

Any advice?

• QuilistanQuilistan Member Posts: 177
    Reinstalled nwn with Steam

Followed your advice and can log into the server but it's treating me like a new player.
    None of my toons are available.

Any advice?

Is this your own server or just one you play on? If it is not your personal server, contact the server owner and I think they can help.