Skip to content

Question about graphic updates ( Aribeth ) and the plans for future.

2»

Comments

• HunterRayder93HunterRayder93 Member Posts: 266

Tawmis said:

Also - we've seen a remodeled Aribeth (even on this thread) - but nothing else indicates anything about any character models having gone through any update (again in their screenshots and video preview). You'd think (or I would, if I was them) - I'd be show casing the more up to date graphics/models. Because that might be a deciding factor for some people.

I'll just leave this here....

From Latest Livestream / blog
    then I see it this way ... based on what I saw the last BD streaming, I think that with the possibility of being able to have better Tileset and models with more defined polygons, we could open new doors for the community, building better models, and more articulate tile sets ... but that does not mean that this detracts from the compatibility and this is totally optional ... but at the same time it allows the community to build on a higher level ... do not understand this, and how miss a unique chance to make NWN: EE a better game than it has ever been before.
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    I'm not sure what you mean HunterRayder93 but the community is already aware of the new technology and have already tested some of it. I think Andarian and Savant1974 are using higher resolution skyboxes, and I think TarotRedhand released some celtic patterns with spec maps. Neverblender also got updated I believe. I think the main thing missing is good documentation of the new graphics features.
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    Yeah I'm wondering what they are going with for the new model stuff, would really like to know what to shoot for and then make a few new assets to take advantage - love this sort of handpainted miniature look and think a few critters of mine would work nicely.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    first of all: overall - GREAT

now more specifically:
    https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vyI_cPf_4Yc/WqL771mj7cI/AAAAAAAAAcc/E7fS8dOO2X4f6ok4G_Qvw4IuctgWk_vlwCLcBGAs/s640/BG1-2018-mar-9-001.jpg
    the primary floor texture shows too conscious of an effort to make the floor tile look less repetitive and it's just too busy, especially the varying size of stones which looks "unrealistic". the original texture is aesthetically better - just take the exact original texture and remake in higher res, keeping the original design (shape of the depicted stones); but despite this, it's not bad and the scene is really apealling

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7LeSpiK7gpY/WqL8QZvdZCI/AAAAAAAAAck/BRNAUOfDYFspIAuoFobr-KtuKgF-mhcHwCEwYBhgL/s1600/BG1-2018-mar-9-015.jpg
    looks quite alright. the character's posture is a bit front-leaning in a way that doesn't look completely natural

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-a7vaQKA2HkQ/WqL8XK3lpcI/AAAAAAAAAco/U8agIhnM7WEN2m5fR7TbNvbTRlfeI38gACLcBGAs/s1600/BG1-2018-mar-9-018.jpg
    the candelabrum needs a fittingly heavy base, or alternatively, some way of depicting that it's been bolted into the floor. doesn't look believable right now

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QG8DhmGh8zI/WqL8kp5BZzI/AAAAAAAAAcs/LLsYY-db-uIgjcEZW1jBB3OBJcVi8S0EgCLcBGAs/s640/BG1-2018-mar-9-021.jpg
    the statue amazing.
    it's fingers are too thin however.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i think those updates look pretty good
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Digging this art style. Much improved over the originals.
  • gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
    @bob_veng I second everything you said. I'd just add that the lighting at times makes the stone look more metallic than it should. It would be great to have an official feedback thread for this kind of stuff.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited March 2018
    and I think TarotRedhand released some celtic patterns with spec maps

@FreshLemonBun I did indeed although as I pointed out at the time it was purely an experiment in using both normal and spec maps. It was an experiment that just updated the metallic placeables in an earlier release of mine. I did try it with the whole of that release but decided that those maps didn't play nice with my "marble" textures and so only released the metallic ones as updated (but left the marble ones in for contrast). This experiment is available on the vault.

TR
  • BlackRiderBlackRider Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2018
    @ShadowM (Your posts 254)
    So you were able to tweak NWmax/NWgmax to get it to import and export "Aribeth EE"?
    Post edited by BlackRider on
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    edited April 2018
    @BlackRider
    Yes you can work on nwn EE new models with NWmax when exporting they lose there data related to normal map / spec maps and you have to add that information back in with a text editor, I use Notepad++. The new tileset models throw and error on import. You just have to import them into blender using neverblender and then export them back out and then they will work with nwmax. I will probably switch over blender after I get all my setting the way I like and get reacquainted with it systems. BD is currently using NWNUnity. I'm guessing a custom export program of Unity. You see that if you open any model files with Notepad++
    Sorry I have not release my version of Aribeth, but I have two other models I working on along with Aribeth (carrion crawler, stone giant and doing other work on my Base module) TheBarbarian has already released a good version.
    Post edited by ShadowM on
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    I am concerned about animations, I really hope they get improved significantly. Then of course there will be the issue of integrating new models with such animations.
  • BlackRiderBlackRider Member Posts: 6
    @ShadowM
    Thank you for your reply. So you haven't partly tweaked the NW(g)max scripts? If I have read correctly, the tile-export work around via blender works, because you have to QUOTE 'enable the checkbox "Export Normals and Tangents" in the export options' (https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/69980/mdl-tangents-normals-line-entries - symmetric Posts: 24). If not checked, NW(gmax) can import them, I suppose.
    Don't worry regarding your Aribeth model. I just used this BD version to check things out.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Those hands on that new aribeth need some work.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

Those hands on that new aribeth need some work.

“If you ... know what I mean.”
    “Nnnnope!”

- Bat Manuel and The Tick

• NK1990NK1990 Member Posts: 75
    So does that mean if I buy the game now on steam, I will get to play with the new animations and models ?.