Skip to content

Will there be a discount for NWNEE?

What I'm more asking is will there be a discount for owning the Diamond version on GOG like there was a discount for Planescape Torment? Also I've noticed that GOG hasn't even remotely announced the Enhanced Edition as Upcoming yet...please tell me it'll still be released on GOG on time. (I have all the other beamdog games on GOG and don't want to break that consistancy)

Comments

• ActarusActarus Member Posts: 78
    I own all games from Beamdog on GOG, and I will only buy NWNEE on GOG. I also own the the Diamond Edition and NWN2.

I'm a bit scared that GOG didn't announced anything about this release, as it's sure it will be released. As for a discount, there had been one for each game in the past, and I don't see why it would be different this time.

And like always, the "Classic" version will be pulled from the store, wich create frustrations with some GOG user. Maybe there are some discusions for the classic version, wich prevent any announcment.

But in an ideal world, I would like Beamdog to create a buy-back program, where they would buy my GOG inventory in exchange I go with the Beamdog client, to get faster update and so on
  • staredcraftstaredcraft Member Posts: 9
    I know, it's bothering me because we haven't heard anything. You'd think by yesterday or today we'd get the discount. I mean how long before Planescape Enhanced did we get the pre-order?
    I don't remember a pre-order for PST on GOG, but it came out the same day, or the next. The discount was for the 1st week or 2.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    edited March 2018
    There is no reason why Beamdog should give a discount if a person owns the DE.

1. Unlike other remasters, Beamdog had to purchase the right to release NWN:EE.They personally did not see a cent from what you paid for the DE.

2. GoG gave the DE away for free a little while back. How does Beamdog seperate the free copies from the legitimate ones?

3. I purchased Neverwinter Nights 3 times for my own personal use back in the day. Am I entitled to a discount for having the hard physical copies that I probably paid more for than anyone on GoG paid for their copies? Did I expect or demand a discount on my second or third copy because I already owned the game? Why should GoG/Beamdog offer a discount to you then?

The game will eventually be released on GoG, but there is a reason why it hasn't been announced yet. Something tells me it has to do with the having to bundle 1.69 withtl the EE, which IMO is a better incentive to buy from GoG than any other store since a player has full access to all PWs.

Edit: I will also say the game, like every other video game, will eventually go on sale. If you do not want to pay $20 for the game, wait a couple of months and it will eventually go on sale.
    Post edited by deltago on
    But on the other hand, the point of GOG is to sell old game. And if the Classic version is availlable, the EE won't sell as well, so that is the point of giving a discount.

And we all know the retail price is 20$ for the regular edition, just like every EE that was released. But all EE edition on GOG had a rebate for those who already own the classic version.

And I might be wrong, but Beamdog had to rebuy all the rights for every Infinity Engine game....
    edited March 2018
    Actarus said:

I don't remember a pre-order for PST on GOG, but it came out the same day, or the next. The discount was for the 1st week or 2.

It had been a while so I might have miss-remembered.

EDIT: I looked over the news in the GOG forums and yeah there was a two week pre-order of Planescape with the discount
    Post edited by staredcraft on
    deltago said:

There is no reason why Beamdog should give a discount if a person owns the DE.

1. Unlike other remasters, Beamdog had to purchase the right to release NWN:EE.They personally did not see a cent from what you paid for the DE.

Uh didn't they have to do that for all the other remasters they did for the other games? And while I wasn't on GOG when the other EE's were released, I seem to recall they DID give the Enhanced Editions Discounts when it was made clear they were going to remove the original non EE versions (the only time they did it AFTER the release of the games) so to ensure the people who already owned the other version weren't screwed and had to pay FULL PRICE for new versions twice.
    deltago said:

2. GoG gave the DE away for free a little while back. How does Beamdog seperate the free copies from the legitimate ones?

Uh getting them for free doesn't negate the fact that they own it! Sure they didn't buy it but they still have played it and would still like to get a new version of it. I get what you're saying and this one in particular is something that neither one of us will agree on but just because a large number of them were given away for free, it should NOT negate the MAJORITY of people that LEGITIMATELY bought it over the years (because I doubt the majority of owners are the free-version people)
    deltago said:

3. I purchased Neverwinter Nights 3 times for my own personal use back in the day. Am I entitled to a discount for having the hard physical copies that I probably paid more for than anyone on GoG paid for their copies? Did I expect or demand a discount on my second or third copy because I already owned the game? Why should GoG/Beamdog offer a discount to you then?

Uh same reason people who have gotten discounts on the other Beamdog EE versions! Just because you specifically didn't get a discount doesn't mean that everyone else should miss out despite the fact they did it in the past! All I'm asking of is IF they were going to do it AGAIN like they have before! Is that so wrong? "I" didn't tell GOG to do it the past few times! I'm NOT demanding they do it here. I'm just asking if they were or not. Also read the rest of my statement at the end to why I fee it's justified.
    deltago said:

4.The game will eventually be released on GoG, but there is a reason why it hasn't been announced yet. Something tells me it has to do with the having to bundle 1.69 withtl the EE, which IMO is a better incentive to buy from GoG than any other store since a player has full access to all PWs.

Well yeah that is true and it's nice to see a fair legit point on why it might not have been announced yet.
    deltago said:

Edit: I will also say the game, like every other video game, will eventually go on sale. If you do not want to pay $20 for the game, wait a couple of months and it will eventually go on sale.

Boy oh boy the old "Wait for it to go on sale and buy it" statement. I'm GOING to buy it either way! I'm just wondering if I'll save any money off of it or not! I'm not being one of those "I'll only buy it if it's discounted" types.

Look again the whole point of this, again, was to ask IF it was and WHY it hasn't been announced on GOG yet. Nothing more nothing less. I'm a guy that's about consistancies and, since GOG has always been the ones to have the old versions removed due to the EE's, as opposed to Steam, that always gave them the benefits of giving those that got the old versions the discount. GOG kept the torch going for a long time so it seems earned and justified.
    Actarus said:

But on the other hand, the point of GOG is to sell old game. And if the Classic version is availlable, the EE won't sell as well, so that is the point of giving a discount.

And we all know the retail price is 20$ for the regular edition, just like every EE that was released. But all EE edition on GOG had a rebate for those who already own the classic version.

And I might be wrong, but Beamdog had to rebuy all the rights for every Infinity Engine game....

Exactly, I mean there weren't other stores selling the old versions prior to the Enhanced Editions right? It was JUST GOG if I recall (again I only got into GOG after the EE's came out)
  • raz651raz651 Member Posts: 175
    Was any of the other EE games released on GOG at the same time they were release on Beamdog's website or steam or were they released later?
    raz651 said:

Was any of the other EE games released on GOG at the same time they were release on Beamdog's website or steam or were they released later?

Since I only just joined the Beamdog's forum and couldn't compare the three sites, I can't tell you, but from my guess I think Planescape (the only one that was newly released when I was on GOG) MIGHT have come out at the same time as everyone else They had a pre-order and everything
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    The Baldur’s Gate series (minus SoD) was released on the Beamdog store first. After a couple of months (IIRC they were released on Steam and GoG) against Beamdog’s alleged wishes. This was back when they had to deal with Atari going through its bankruptcy. People who preordered BG:EE got a 10% discount.

Icewind Dale and Planescape was released at the same time if I recall correctly however, I think IWD couldn’t be preordered anywhere but Beamdog.

Another difference that needs to be kept in mind is the companies Beamdog has to deal with releasing the games. Baldur’s Gate and NWN are old BioWare and EA titles. Planescape and IWD are not.

I think they released on Steam first to make sure Steamwork Shop was functioning properly.

It will be released on GoG, but not on the 27th. I think they are doing Steam first to make sure The Workshop is functioning properly and as I said need to workout logistics to get the games bundled. This is all speculation though.
    deltago said:

The Baldur’s Gate series (minus SoD) was released on the Beamdog store first. After a couple of months (IIRC they were released on Steam and GoG) against Beamdog’s alleged wishes. This was back when they had to deal with Atari going through its bankruptcy. People who preordered BG:EE got a 10% discount.

Icewind Dale and Planescape was released at the same time if I recall correctly however, I think IWD couldn’t be preordered anywhere but Beamdog.

Another difference that needs to be kept in mind is the companies Beamdog has to deal with releasing the games. Baldur’s Gate and NWN are old BioWare and EA titles. Planescape and IWD are not.

I think they released on Steam first to make sure Steamwork Shop was functioning properly.

It will be released on GoG, but not on the 27th. I think they are doing Steam first to make sure The Workshop is functioning properly and as I said need to workout logistics to get the games bundled. This is all speculation though.

Fair enough on all counts. Again I was just curious. And fair enough on Planescape and IWD being different companies. Like I said before, most of this is just out of being a completionist and keep it all on GOG. I could care less about the steam workshop since the game is already easy to mod anyway regardless of it. And I seem to recall now there was a week or two delay for Planescape's GOG release anyway
    I think GOG aquired to right to sell the game from the previous IP owner. They bought back the IP to develop and sell the EE. But GOG has still the right to sell the classic version of the game. So that is why there must be some kind of agreement between GOG and Beamdog.

And I only support GOG, and some members of the community there are not that friendly toward Beamdog, It's a shame but they have my full support and I will buy NWNEE as soon as it hits GOG platform
    edited March 2018
    Actarus said:

I think GOG aquired to right to sell the game from the previous IP owner. They bought back the IP to develop and sell the EE. But GOG has still the right to sell the classic version of the game. So that is why there must be some kind of agreement between GOG and Beamdog.

And I only support GOG, and some members of the community there are not that friendly toward Beamdog, It's a shame but they have my full support and I will buy NWNEE as soon as it hits GOG platform

Yeah I personally think because they don't like the idea of them not being able to sell both that's the one thing i'll give a negative to what I've seen at GOG...a lot of them there can be entitled, ill-inform-brats...not ALL of them but those that whine about such things when all you need to do is look at the legal stuff...then again there are those on Steam who bitched and moaned about bulletstorm when THAT was a very similar thing too, different publisher! Of course then they'd bring up Darksiders but, again different scenerio! THQ/Nordic bought ALL the rights completely! Seriously people just can't understand legalese can they?

Despite all that though, since none of them have attacked me at all, I still have my faith and support in GOG. That's why it pisses me off so much when other companies just abandon GOG and focus purely on Steam and leave GOG with outdated, sometimes broken, messes.
    Hopefully it will come soon on GOG. I don't want to buy any game on Steam, not my thing.

But if Beamdog made a super promotion, where I can exchange my GOG copy for their Beamdog client, I would.

But since I own them all on GOG, I'll wait.
  • Taro94Taro94 Member Posts: 125
    I think I'm just one of many people who are waiting in anticipation for the GOG release.
    Taro94 said:

I think I'm just one of many people who are waiting in anticipation for the GOG release.

Here Here! GOG Kept the lights on afterall
    Yeah a lot support GOG