Skip to content

Bug: Henchman death in Shadows of Undrentide

When a henchman "dies" in SoU, they're supposed to drop to the ground near death and wait for healing. What happens in EE is that the henchman dies, is removed from the party, and teleported back to Drogan's house, and becomes noninteractable. This means henchman death always requires a reload.

I did report this bug on the tracker as well.
sarevok57JuliusBorisov

Comments

• LathspellguestLathspellguest Member Posts: 60
    I also have this issue. I wasn't sure if it was a bug or if I just wasn't healing them in time.
    BelleSorciere
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    They should just fall when they hit zero hp and wait to be healed.
    Lathspellguest
  • LathspellguestLathspellguest Member Posts: 60
    That's how I remembered it. Thought maybe my difficulty setting might have changed that, but I think it's just on Normal, anyway.
    BelleSorciere
    This bug is still present in 8151.

I reported it here last week: https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/34048#change-203244
  • ParasolsyndicateParasolsyndicate Member Posts: 54
    Had another variant in the Interlude. Dorna died, went prone. Any attempt to heal her was met with the prompt that I can't Barter with Dorna now.

Could be a whole other issue, but henchmen death clearly has some issues.
    BelleSorciere
  • TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
    Hmmm. That sounds like something seriously off the rails.
    ParasolsyndicateBelleSorciere
    Yeah, it's stopped my play through. Fortunately There's other stuff to play until it's fixed.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I thought this was intended behavior, since I was playing on core rules, and just assumed it was to discourage letting them die. I had to use the teleport ring when my henchman died in the first chapter to go back to Drogan's and get them back. In chapter 2 onward, when they dropped, they might get removed from the party, but I could heal them with a healer's kit and initiate the dialog to get them back. So nothing was game breaking for me.
    BelleSorciere
    I can't initiate dialogue with them at all after they die, so I can't re-add them to the party at Drogan's. I haven't continued playing past the point I'm at because I'll run out of henchmen eventually.

Anyway, it's definitely not intended behavior. They should just drop and stay where they are, stay in your party, and need healing.
    I played through all of Act 1 with Dorna behaving as intended, then the Interlude hits, and it's a triple wammy of her losing equipped items, not dying right, and not detecting traps when alive.

I hope this all gets sorted.
    BelleSorciere
    So after today's update, Dorna is still removed from the party and teleported back to Drogan after she dies. However, I can add her back into the party by returning and getting her.

The problem with this is that the teleport device in Shadows of Undrentide requires consumables, and the materials to make those consumables are limited.
    Dorna is now dying and reviving in the interlude right.

Still ignoring traps, but that's apparently a much older bug.
  • nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    Hey,

so, we fixed the issue where Dorna's prone body sometimes (in a race condition) despawned and thus became uncontrollable on respawn. That was actually something that I saw in 1.69 happening too.

The other issues, including any AI and trap things, should be present in 1.69 too and are grounded in the scripts for the campaign, not the engine doing something wrong. We've not started touching any of this yet, as Trent said, so I can't really comment on timeline for fixes on those.
    ParasolsyndicateBelleSorciereJuliusBorisov
    Despawning still happens, but at least Dorna is controllable.
    edited December 2017
    Still, @niv and whoever else worked on it, thanks for fixing it this much - my SoU playthrough can now continue. :)

Edit: The patch notes claim the despawning is fixed, and, well, it ain't, at least not on my game.
    Post edited by BelleSorciere on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713

Edit: The patch notes claim the despawning is fixed, and, well, it ain't, at least not on my game.

Is it an old save or a new game you're talking about? The fixes would not affect an older save.
    BelleSorciere

Is it an old save or a new game you're talking about? The fixes would not affect an older save.
    That'd do it. I'll start a new game. Thanks. :)
    JuliusBorisov
    niv said:

Hey,
    The other issues, including any AI and trap things, should be present in 1.69 too and are grounded in the scripts for the campaign, not the engine doing something wrong. We've not started touching any of this yet, as Trent said, so I can't really comment on timeline for fixes on those.

So, without being impolite. are these being touched yet?
  • redtailboasredtailboas Member Posts: 3
    2023... This is still a problem. DORNA died fighting a dragon. Walked back to Drogan's farm. Impossible to interact. Can't kill her, can't talk to her... Nothing.