Skip to content

Neverwinter Nights for the Community

Comments

• MrDamageMrDamage Member Posts: 210
    Cntrl+alt+delete
    OC campaign
    voidofopinionAtrophiederic
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248

Also anyone have any speculation on the announcement for April 1st with Holly Conrad???

Arcanum?
    MrDamageAtrophiederic
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    edited March 2018
    April 1st, you say? That's Easter Sunday.

Rabbits as a playable race? ;)

voidofopinionAtrophiederic
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    There actually was a humanoid rabbit monster in older editions that could cast time stop and haste and then adapted as a playable race in the 90s.
    Atrophiedericvoidofopinion
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146

Baldur's Date.

I should play Criswell more often!
    Happy Monday everyone!

Hope everyone had fun over the weekend. The weekend was quite a success for me as I finally managed to get my father in-law to play board games with the rest of the family. Apparently Flick 'Em Up is his jam. :D

So I am going to continue on with this motif for the question of the week!

Question:

What was your favorite board game growing up and what is your favorite board game today?
    AtrophiedericMrDamage

Happy Monday everyone!

Hope everyone had fun over the weekend. The weekend was quite a success for me as I finally managed to get my father in-law to play board games with the rest of the family. Apparently Flick 'Em Up is his jam. :D

So I am going to continue on with this motif for the question of the week!

Question:

What was your favorite board game growing up and what is your favorite board game today?

Why, the greatest board game ever made of course!*
    Chess.
    My father used to punish me relentlessly with this game lol, in a nice way. Of course I carried on the family tradition and also punished my eldest son relentlessly with this game. This year he is starting University, I like to think in some small way chess had something to do with it. We would go cycling through parks, take the chess board with us and have a game in a nice spot during a rest and drink. Super big piece chess, we’ve done that too lol. We don’t get into it that much any more. Life is just too hectic at the moment. Another game the family really got into for a while was monopoly lol.

*(Statement validity subject to personal opinion and....nuts. )
    AtrophiedericvoidofopinionBelgarathMTH
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

Then: Risk

Now: Pandemic

AtrophiedericvoidofopinionMrDamage
  • AtrophiedericAtrophiederic Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 147
    In my earlier days, I was a big fan of Stratego. When my son went through a dragon phase, it was Dragonology. I also have a soft spot for Risk, though the last annual Thanksgiving game some years ago soured many to playing it. Regardless, good memories!
    tbone1voidofopinionMrDamage
    @MrDamage

Love Chess!

I used to play all the time as a kid. Even managed to beat a national master when I was 7 but that's only because I opened with the Scholar's Mate and he completely underestimated me. Egg on his face I tells ya ;)

I have been meaning to learn more about the game but I never seem to pick up any chess books and actually read them. Perhaps I need to find a good YouTube series instead.

Do you have a favorite specialty chess set (beyond giant!) or do you go for the traditional?

_______

@tbone1

Pandemic is always my go to game when I want to get someone into board gaming.

Forbidden Island to show them board games are not just monopoly and then Pandemic to teach them all the foundation skills they will need to play everything else.

Pandemic is always fun, gets everyone involved and working together. I got Cthulhu Pandemic for Christmas and I think I am going to use it to teach people Arkham Horror.

I was really disappointing in the mobile port. It just lacks all the charm of the physical game.

Do you go for base Pandemic or do you throw in all the expansions?

_______

@Atrophiederic

I have never heard of Dragonology but it looks beautiful!

I love the old timey map and the miniatures and there is even a book series!

It seems like something that would bring family's together as opposed to Risk which... well... people can get very salty over Risk. Although Risk will always have a special place in my heart as it was the first board game the wife and I bought and played together (on our honeymoon no less).

So what happened at thanksgiving? You cant give us that lead up and not spill the beans!
    MrDamage
    edited April 2018
    @Vileintent
    Gday mate! You’ve come to the right place for your nwn fix!

@voidofopinion
    I’ve always marvelled at and really loved how craftsman make awesome coffee table chess sets. Just incredible. Below is an example but sadly I don’t have one.

Also @Atrophiederic
    Yes indeed, what happened at that fateful thanksgiving Risk session lol?????
    voidofopiniontbone1
    edited April 2018
    @voidofopinion, @MrDamage, and anyone else listening ....

I never did tell y'all that Thanksgiving Risk story, did I?

In a nutshell, it was me, my wife, her 2 cousins, and her brother (and I think my son may have been involved, though he only would've been 7 or 8 at the time). I had my usual plan, which was to get South America, boost up the borders, and hoard armies. Early in the game my wife's one cousin got wiped out (by me in the North Americas), as did her brother (he was somewhere in Europe, and my wife got him). My son was holed up in Australia, also boosting up the border and hoarding armies, basically sitting still and watching the game unfold. My wife's forces were spread through Europe and Asia, and her other cousin was chilling in Africa. After a couple of hours of minor skirmishes, political dealings, and the like, i figured "what the heck, what can I lose" and went on a rampage. I hit Africa from South America, and hit it hard, like 60 armies hard. My wife's cousin didn't last too long, but just as i was about to deliver my conquering strike, he cut a deal with my wife and gave her all his good army cards (and he had a *lot* of them). I got so mad that I again said "what the heck" and bulldozed my way through Europe and Asia, completely clobbering her forces (and no one saw it coming). But in the process, I depleted all of my forces, and in a desperate battle for India, my wife's last defending army rolled a 6. I lost my last usable army in that battle, all of my other properties were down to 1 army each (and we're talking the Americas, Africa, Europe, and all of Asia, excepting India). Thus ended my turn. It was my wife's turn next, and she had an absolutely ridiculous amount of armies to redeem. Thusly my end was ensured.

So ... I ragequit.

To this day, no one will play with me, citing that fateful Thanksgiving game. And I remind them how I was cheated out of my just spoils! (And I must say this, we have some odd house rules that allow that sort of behavior, wheeling and dealing and whatnot. That was just the first time I had been burned that badly!)

Was I justified ... heck, I don't know. But in hindsight, it's an epic story to tell!

Okay, I'm done now.

#noregrets
    Post edited by Atrophiederic on
    MrDamagevoidofopinion
    @MrDamage

That table looks beautiful!

I'm a big fan of table chess sets that also interweave the chairs into the design but man... I don't think I have enough kidneys to afford one.

My favorite set went in the opposite direction.

It was a travel set hand crafted out of leather, wood and used brass and steel for the pieces. It was just the right size and weight to play an satisfying game of chess while still being small enough to keep in your jacket pocket.

Sadly I lost it when moving to the US.

I still mourn for that chess set.

:(

_______

@Atrophiederic

Oh man you LOST IT!

That is fantastic! I love it!

Hey if nothing else it has created a life time memory spanning generations and bloodlines.

:D

I don't get to go all out in games these days so I am taking some small catharsis in your rampage!

I am always the one who sets up the games, teaches everyone the rules. Ref's the first few rounds until everyone gets it. Answers questions and rules disputes etc etc etc. Still I make sure I win often enough to keep folks on their toes.

;)
    AtrophiedericMrDamage

Hello all,

I too am a old school NwN gamer. A huge fan of the epic general wizard. Spent many of hours playing this game.

I tried pretty hard to re-create the epic module Castle Ravenloft in the NwN toolset. But I just lacked the scripting knowledge to make it worthy.

Pretty excited to see Beamdog release this game again.

My very first D&D character was a wizard with high dex who threw makeshift molotov cocktails at everything. Many good memories.

It has been wonderful to see so many servers turn the lights on once more. And there has been a big uptick in people starting that project they never got around to. Perhaps it's time to revisit Castle Ravenloft?

:)

Atrophiederic
    Happy Monday everyone!

This week we are doing something a little different and setting up a game of question tag!

First poster asks a question.
    Second poster answers then asks their own question.
    Third poster answers the new question then asks their own question.

So on and so forth!

Who will be our first poster and what is our first question!?

DerpCityMrDamageAtrophiedericJuliusBorisov
  • DerpCityDerpCity Member, Moderator Posts: 303
    What's your favorite pet of each type - as in, your favorite Summon, Animal Companion, and Familiar - and why?
    MrDamagevoidofopinionAtrophiederic
    TAG!

Fantastic question to start @DerpCity !

For NWN:

Summon: Hound Archon. He is like an henchman that doesn't get me killed all the time.

Animal Companion: The Panther is so much fun to RP with and gets sneak attacks.

Familiar: Pixie. Because picking locks is for suckers.

For PnP:

I let my DM decide on all of those things. If the DM makes my Familiar/Companion then the DM is more likely to involve them in the game instead of them being a line on my character sheet.

_______

Next Question:

Whats the single greatest children's television show of all time?
    DerpCityMrDamageAtrophiederic
    edited April 2018
    lol. You ninja’d me @voidofopinion !
    Best children’s show of all time?
    The Thunderbirds! Da dada daaaa

Next question:

What is your all time favourite movie(or TV) character moment/ scene?

voidofopinionDerpCityAtrophiederic
  • raz651raz651 Member Posts: 175
    edited April 2018
    It has to be when Scotty tries to talk to the Macintosh computer in Star Trek: The Voyage Home.

What is your favorite Song that you would dance to?
    DerpCityMrDamagevoidofopinionAtrophiederic
    Welcome fellow Trekkie!

Fantastic scene. Always makes me laugh!
    raz651 said:

What is your favorite Song that you would dance to?

My mother taught dance so I grew up being forced to attend dance lessons and classes so I don't have a love of dance like I feel I should... but Benny Goodman gets me every time.

Question:

What's your favorite comfort food?
    DerpCityMrDamageAtrophiederic
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, I got this! Comfort food - strawberry twizzlers! All other food (and comfort, sometimes) - pizza! Gotta be pizza-pie! Even the calzone!

So, question - what is your favorite game franchise, and why?
    DerpCityvoidofopinionMrDamage
    Well...
    Obvious choice notwithstanding, Halo series. Love the sci-fi, the tech, the gameplay, the story, all the things you can do vehicle wise. The latest ones looked incredibly hard though, watched the boy play it through, looked difficult beyond fun like. (For me anyhow)

Next question.

What is the most inspiring/ exciting movie you’ve ever seen and why???

voidofopinionDerpCityAtrophiederic
    All children have that first movie that hooks them and they watch over and over again on an endless loop. Mine was The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

This was most evident when my grandmother asked me to sing a song for the family that Christmas. So 2 year old me gave a perfectly vamp rendition of "Sweet Transvestite" complete with dance moves.

It's all been down hill from there really.

:D

Question:

What awesome TV show did you most recently discover?
    MrDamageAtrophiedericDerpCity
    Ooooh, ooooh, oooh, I got this one!

Star Trek! The original series, to boot!

Question:

Which is better (for you), PC or Console, and why?
    MrDamagevoidofopinionDerpCity
  • raz651raz651 Member Posts: 175
    PC, because you can upgrade them.

Question:

What did you have for breakfast and did you make it yourself?
    voidofopinionDerpCityMrDamageAtrophiederic
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Egg white omelette with mushrooms, peppers, and spinach; blueberry bagel; and Italian roast, straight. And yes,
    I made it.

What book did you love that you wish others would read?
    voidofopinionDerpCityMrDamageAtrophiederic
  • DerpCityDerpCity Member, Moderator Posts: 303
    I haven't finished the Trilogy, but I thought first book of The Legend of Jig Dragonslayer, titled Goblin Quest, was really good. Its from the perspective of a goblin being forced by an adventuring party to serve as a guide so they can find a maguffin, and he's actually really smart. Its pretty good.

When you stat a character in D&D/NWN/etc, are you more likely to go with more spread out stats, or are you more likely to powerbuild?
    voidofopinionMrDamageAtrophiederic
    I'm a "Why not both?" guy when it comes to RP builds vs Power Builds (which ultimately dictates stat allocation).

I like to think of a fun RP concept and then I do everything in my power to make the numbers dance and the math to flex until the perfect build reveals itself.

I had a friend who was complaining that Charisma and social skills were worthless so I rolled a Succubus for our d20 modern campaign and pumped absolutely everything I could into Charisma/Bluff/Intimidate/Persuade/Profession: Lawyer.

I had zero offensive ability and didn't carry so much as a knife but I was utterly invincible.

Due to all the stacked bonuses it was impossible for me to fail any of those skill checks on anything other than a 1 no matter how outlandish. So I essentially became the DM because whatever I said happened is what happened as long as I could RP well enough to get the DM to approve a skill roll.

One of my favorite RP characters and based entirely around power building :)

Question:

There are some music albums where every track is simply perfect.

What are your top 3 perfect albums?
    DerpCityAtrophiederic
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    edited April 2018
    The Residents, The Third Reich n' Roll
    The Beach Boys, Pet Sounds
    The Velvet Underground & Nico

Bonus: Parliament, Mothership Connection
    NEU!, NEU!

Perfect album to play Neverwinter Nights to?

Popol Vuh's various soundtracks and albums using their music for Werner Herzog's NOSFERATU. Give it a try and Ravenloft it up. Sing, for the song drives away the wolves!
    DerpCityvoidofopinionAtrophiederic