Skip to content

Custom Portraits separated by gender

TazeraTazera Member Posts: 9
Hi! This is maybe a dumb question, but... is there a way to separate custom portraits on character creation? Is a bit annoying to have the portraits all messed up when I'm creating a new character, having both genders on the same group. Thanks in advance, I'm not a moder, so my knowledge about these things is very little ;)
Post edited by Tazera on
grom56

Comments

• ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,269
    edited April 2018
    In the official campaign, character creation only shows portraits for the gender you selected.

So I guess you modded something? Portrait pack, maybe? In that case, take it up with the mod author.

If you need to fix the mod yourself, there's a simple text file called placeables portraits.2da which has columns headed Sex and Plot. Sex is 0 for male, 1 for female. Plot has to be 0 for the portrait to show up in character creation.

Personally, I'm all for choice and diversity. It would be nice to be able to toggle whether all portraits show up, or just one gender.
    Post edited by Proleric on
  • LaputianBirdLaputianBird Member Posts: 107
    Custom player portraits normally cannot be separated by gender or race, unlike the default ones.

If you are really set on achieving that result, you'll have to edit the 2da Proleric mentioned (I believe mistyping placeables.2da when they meant portraits.2da, which is the one you need), which turns the portraits into regular game resources. You might need to add them through the override folder instead of the portraits folder. And remember that the 2da definitely needs to go in your override folder
    Proleric
  • TazeraTazera Member Posts: 9
    Thank you all guys, I'm gonna try to do the things you suggested... I love this game since the early 2000's and it's great to have the servers working again! Cheers
  • DorrianDorrian Member Posts: 15

Custom player portraits normally cannot be separated by gender or race, unlike the default ones.

Not in the traditional filter way, but they actually can be.

Tazera said:

Hi! This is maybe a dumb question, but... is there a way to separate custom portraits on character creation?

You could try the Newcastle Portrait Pack - it has them separated for you by race and gender. We are presently working on a 2da that can be included in haks so that they show in the toolset like that too.

edited April 2018
    Dorrian said:

No they cannot. If you are using a 2da, then they are no "custom player portraits" anymore, they become game resources, as Proleric and myself were pointing out.

Residing in the "portraits" folder and not needing a 2da is what qualifies the player portraits. And those are unfilterable, because the filtering requires settings in the 2da.
    Atrophiederic
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    Now, now. That's some antics with semantics, really. They ARE custom portraits, because they don't ship with the base game. Custom content that uses modified .2da files is still custom.

Anyway, sounds like the OP got the answers he or she was seeking. :)

Have fun, everyone.

Dorrian
    edited April 2018
    It's no antics with semantics, it's about giving information as precise as possible, when someone asks. The more precise the information, the less misunderstandings spread around.

They are CUSTOM portraits for sure, but they are not PLAYER portraits if they are added to the 2da.
    Maybe the OP, or anybody else stumbling into this thread doesn't want to deal with a 2da. If the server is already using its own 2da included in the server hakpacks, implementing the filtering is even more involved, as it requires editing such haks in order to override the server version with an extended client-side version 2da.

Furthermore, when the answer to a question is less about giving actual information than it is about plugging one's own work, there is even more need for such clarifications

Post edited by LaputianBird on
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    I’m kind of surprised, and rather proud, that no one has yet typed “Did you just assume my file format?!?!” in this discussion.

Until now.

I apologize.
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    Tazera said:

Hi! This is maybe a dumb question, but... is there a way to separate custom portraits on character creation? Is a bit annoying to have the portraits all messed up when I'm creating a new character, having both genders on the same group. Thanks in advance, I'm not a moder, so my knowledge about these things is very little ;)

The engine could be patch to support custom portraits without .2da, by using naming convention similar to the way the engine read placement with size _H huge etc.. You would have to name you portrait files by gender leads
    M - Male
    F - Female
    B - Both
    O - Other
    N - None

Example M_Elven01_H , F_Elven01_H etc....
    if the naming is not right it go back to default way. You could expand this into sub-folders of races in the portrait folder that read off the racialtypes.2da.
    RoadieJFKDerpCity
  • DorrianDorrian Member Posts: 15
    JFK said:

Now, now. That's some antics with semantics, really.

I tend to agree.

• TazeraTazera Member Posts: 9
    Dorrian said:

Tazera said:

Hi! This is maybe a dumb question, but... is there a way to separate custom portraits on character creation?

You could try the Newcastle Portrait Pack - it has them separated for you by race and gender. We are presently working on a 2da that can be included in haks so that they show in the toolset like that too.

Thanks a lot for the answer! And great work btw! Love the Neverwinter Nights Community!
    JFKDorrian