Skip to content

Kickstarter for Baldur's Gate 3 please

Comments

• killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    dib said:

Every time someone mentions BG3, Bhaal kills a kitten.

And that means no kitten kebabs for Xmas. Stop it everyone. Don't mention BG3.
    tbone1
  • James_MJames_M Member Posts: 140
    Instead of what the OP wishes for, how about this wish: a project to increase party size in BG2 by by enabling the number of joinable NPC's to be greater than 5? I'm sure this has been discussed ad nausea in the past. Perhaps there is a separate forum/post for this idea that I could be directed to? I think this would be a real enhancement to BG2.
    RAM021Contemplative_Hamster
  • AltairAltair Member Posts: 128
    Speaking about games which can compare to BG, I think you guys forgot an amazing one: Dragon Age Origins (but certainly not its sequels)
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    I have a different take on this, which may not be very popular here. Even if WotC were to change its mind on allowing crowdfunding for D&D games, which I highly doubt so all of this may be very moot anyway, I think game developers are better off going with a publisher than going the crowdfunding route. It all depends on being able to find a good publisher, of course, and nowadays there are publishers out there with a strong base of resources who are willing to let the developer keep control of their IP. If I were a developer, I'd rather deal with a single decent publisher than tens of thousands of backers each of whom thinks the game should be made exactly to their preferences and who will scream bloody murder if anything in the game even mildly deviates from their (usually highly unrealistic) expectations. Sadly, far too many people in today's Western society have ridiculous entitlement mentalities about everything.
    Balrog99ThacoBellkillerrabbitContemplative_Hamster
  • EunectesEunectes Member Posts: 2
    ThacoBell said:

No. The Baldur's gate story is done. There is nothing else to do with Gorion's Ward.

I don't agree. The third instalment could easily pick up where the ToB left it. For instance, perhaps a war in heaven "fell" on earth along with the gods and their pupils. Let's say that they were mortally weakened by the fall. This way it doesn't matter what ending did you choose at the end of ToB. So the story of new BG III game could be something like Pillars of Eternity crossed with Tyranny. Each avatar fighting to regain power. Say this "fall" event causes panic, destruction and suffering all over the world. What would be the motivation for the main character to take part in the unfolding story? Well if (s)he is of good nature, naturally (s)he'd be there to try to restore order and protect the innocent. Bad natured characters would be there for power and just the lovely sight of gore on the walls. What about the chosen ending? Well as I said, if GW became a god, he fell and wishes to get back up there. If (s)he chose to be remain mortal there's a lot more possibilities. Depending on the timeframe of the war in heavens we could be looking at coming back from the dead like Sarevok in ToB or just plain it's happening in my back yard and i don't like it scenario.
    kanisatha said:

[...]I think game developers are better off going with a publisher than going the crowdfunding route.[...] If I were a developer, I'd rather deal with a single decent publisher than tens of thousands of backers each of whom thinks the game should be made exactly to their preferences and who will scream bloody murder if anything in the game even mildly deviates from their (usually highly unrealistic) expectations.

I think the result of crowdfunding would be a good base to show to a publisher.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Eunectes That still has the same issue of your final choice in ToB not making any difference. There are also a TON of variables that it just wouldn't be feasible to cover. Were you the new Lord of Murder? Did you create a new good portfolio? Did you stay mortal? Did you romance anyone? Who did you romance? Etc. In fact, depending on the epilogue you got, charname could be dead, as well as several npcs. This would all radicaly change the tone and power level of the story, as well as a bunch of interconnected relationships. There is no way to do this without rendering a large portion of the playerbases' choices absolutely meaningless.
    FardragonContemplative_Hamster
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    really baldurs gate is one of those stories that has a closed ending with no loose ends. if beamdog was to make a baldurs gate 3 it would be like nwn 2 it would be in the same general aera but not the same story.

also it's more then likely it's gonna be 5th edition so it's not even gonna be baldurs gate as you want it an anyways.
    Contemplative_HamsterThacoBelltbone1kanisatha
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited April 2018
    Howabout an add-on called Baldur's Gate Tree: The Wilderness Years, a metaphorical excursion in which CHARNAME, bereft of purpose after defeating Sarevok and Caelar, and having lost popular acclaim and nearly himself in the process, explores the wilderness between major locations in Baldur's Gate II (which were sadly lacking in BGII despite being such a great part of BGI) looking for an identity, a destiny, and a place to call home in several senses of the term.

This works on so many levels. OMG OMG OMG.

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    That doesn't work on so many levels.
    edited April 2018
    Fardragon said:

That doesn't work on so many levels.

Spoilsport :p

I'd love the opportunity to dick around in woods (why are you looking at me like that, Freud?) in BGII, it was my main gripe way back when it was first released that there was too much railroading between areas and not enough wilderness to get lost in. Strangely enough, 15 years on, it's the same gripe people have with SOD.

And yeah, I saw your good posts on the hero monomyth upthread, but my idea is not a new game that needs to follow a certain narrative structure, merely an add-on of wilderness areas, minor adventures, and random events to expand the playing field in BGII. If I could save the Sword Coast from Sarevok and still go off the beaten path, why can't I save my sis, fight a wizard, achieve my destiny WHILE STILL running off into the wild while doing so?
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

really baldurs gate is one of those stories that has a closed ending with no loose ends. if beamdog was to make a baldurs gate 3 it would be like nwn 2 it would be in the same general aera but not the same story.

Personally, I think it would be more like Highlander II, but that’s just my opinion
    I think the assumption that if BG3 did get made then Beamdog would make it is looking less and less likely.

Hasbro are currently riding high with D&D more popular than it has been since the 80s. That means if they did decide on a new BG game they would go to a bigger corp to make it - quite possibly EA/Bioware.
    kanisatha
    It'll never happen with a Kickstarter, that's for sure, and probably not with the Infinity Engine either. This whole thread is pie-in-the-sky.
    kanisatha
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    tbone1 said:

Personally, I think it would be more like Highlander II, but that’s just my opinion
    my point was it's more then likely gonna be a new character and have nothing to do with the bhaalspawn. again like nwn 2 which has nothing to do with either nwn 1 charnames.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875

It'll never happen with a Kickstarter, that's for sure, and probably not with the Infinity Engine either. This whole thread is pie-in-the-sky.

When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie...
    ThacoBell
    I think it's a bit eely for that joke.
    tbone1ThacoBell
    True, I’ll just make some Sargasso soup instead.
    ThacoBell
    tbone1 said:

Wow, that's deep, man.
    ThacoBelltbone1
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875

tbone1 said:

Wow, that's deep, man.
    Well...
    ThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Hopefully these puns are enough to tide us over.
    tbone1
    Oh, shore. But I think we'll just be treading water.
    ThacoBelltbone1
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I sea
    tbone1ThacoBell
    This humor is getting dark; better light a lamprey.
    ThacoBell
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    Icewind dale 3 would be very welcome indeed, taking in account how disappointing was IWD 2 EE -_-
    edited April 2018
    tbone1 said:

This humor is getting dark; better light a lamprey.

The Further Adventures of Minsc:
    First Mate and Packing Eel!

The likeness is uncanny, dont'cha think?

Post edited by Contemplative_Hamster on
    ThacoBell
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623

Icewind dale 3 would be very welcome indeed, taking in account how disappointing was IWD 2 EE -_-

But... IWD2 was never made into an EE!!?
  • EunectesEunectes Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2018
    Fardragon said:

[...] if they did decide on a new BG game they would go to a bigger corp to make it - quite possibly EA/Bioware.

Oh, please gods no! It's like asking Uwe Boll to make another movie. I'd rather see BG storyline ended as is than having it raped by EA (there is no Bioware, not for a long time) over and over.

Edit:
    I might be bias here, but I would like to see how CD Projekt Red (the bastion of hope in game dev) would handle a franchise like Baldur's Gate. If they applied three quarters of commitment they had while developing Witcher 3, and same market principles... I can dream, can I?

tbone1
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited April 2018
    You can fund the kickstarter that Baronius has started for his new game. That started recently.
    When you visit the Blackwyrmlair you get forwarded to it.

Black geyser, couriers of darkness.
    Blackgeyser.com

No idea whether that will get released before a new beamdog game (with that I mean beyond nwnee).
  • ShadowdemonShadowdemon Member Posts: 80
    edited April 2018
    Eunectes said:

Fardragon said:

[...] if they did decide on a new BG game they would go to a bigger corp to make it - quite possibly EA/Bioware.

Oh, please gods no! It's like asking Uwe Boll to make another movie. I'd rather see BG storyline ended as is than having it raped by EA (there is no Bioware, not for a long time) over and over.

Edit:
    I might be bias here, but I would like to see how CD Projekt Red (the bastion of hope in game dev) would handle a franchise like Baldur's Gate. If they applied three quarters of commitment they had while developing Witcher 3, and same market principles... I can dream, can I?

Seconded! We don’t need EA’s loot boxes and pay-to-win crap in our BG games!
    tbone1