Skip to content

[Fighter Kit] Militia Officer v1.8 [IWDEE, EET, BGEE, BG2EE]

RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
edited March 2019 in General Modding
Introducing the new kit no one asked for:

The Militia Officer

This mod contains two components:

1) Adds the Militia Officer Fighter Kit:

MILITIA OFFICER: This fighter is, first and foremost, a defender of land and the people that live in it. More than a common soldier, the Militia Officer is a commander, someone who leads the way into a battle, inspire those around PRO_HIMHER and plan what to do next. It is PRO_HISHER duty to protect every person in the territory under PRO_HISHER authority, no matter the consequences.

Advantages:

- May use the Cover ability. Gains one use at level 1 and another one every two levels, up to five uses at level 9.
- May use the Charge ability. Gains one use at level 1 and another one every four levels, up to five uses at level 17.
- May use the Second Wind ability. Gains one use at level 1 and another one every four levels, up to five uses at level 17.
- May use the Hold the Line ability. Gains one use at level 2 and another one every four levels, up to five uses at level 18.
- May use the Inspire ability. Gains one use at level 3 and another one every two levels, up to five uses at level 11.
- May use the Last Stand ability. Gains one use at level 10 and another one every five levels, up to three uses at level 20.

CHARGE:

The Militia Officer gathers strength and charges an enemy. This ability doubles the Officer's movement rate and increases PRO_HISHER attack per round by 0.5. When this ability effect ends PRO_HESHE will be fatigued.

The effects last for 1 Round/level, up to 10 rounds (1 turn) at level 10.

COVER:

The Militia Officer covers an ally giving them a +3 bonus to Armor Class.

The Militia Officer can't Cover PRO_HIMHERself.

INSPIRE:

The Militia Officer inspires an ally giving them a +3 bonus to damage, hit and saving throws. Besides those benefits, the target becomes immune to non-magical moral breaks for the duration of the effects.

The Militia Officer can't Inspire itself.

LAST STAND:

The Militia Officer holds a firmly defensive position. This ability gives the Militia Officer +30% bonus to its damage and magic resistance and a +10 bonus to Armor Class. When this ability effect ends PRO_HESHE will be fatigued.

The effects last for 1 turn.

HOLD THE LINE:

The Militia Officer protects a position at any cost. This ability gives the Militia Officer a +5 bonus to Armor Class and saving throws. While this ability is in effect the Militia Officer cannot move and after the duration PRO_HESHE will be fatigued.

SECOND WIND:

The Militia Officer concentrates and takes a deep breath, getting rid of any fatigue that PRO_HESHE has accumulated.

Disadvantages:

- Requires at least 9 Intelligence and Charisma.
- Can only put two slots in missile weapons.
- Cannot use Katana, Scimitar, Wakizashi, and Ninja-To.
- Alignment restricted to non-Chaotic.

2) Khalid, the Militia Officer!

Yes, ladies and gentleman! The stutterer isn't just a pool of pity for his wife. Now he is a respectful Militia Officer, a protector of the common people and can be Charname's too! With this kit, the most underrated Fighter of all time can truly be an awesome tank! Give this awesome poor fellow the Gauntlets of Strength and watch a miracle!

Link to Download

This mod is fully traed, so now it can be ignored in any language you guys want!

Feel free to make any bug, grammar and spelling reports here.

Enjoy!
Post edited by Raduziel on
GusindarandomencounterAerakarGrammarsaladZaghoulbooinyoureyesUOLegacyStummvonBordwehr

Comments

• RVNSRVNS Member Posts: 285
    About to play a IWD play through with this, Mercenary and filling the rest in with I hate undead pack mod. Ill give you a heads up on how it goes!
    Raduziel
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited July 2018
    RVNS said:

About to play a IWD play through with this, Mercenary and filling the rest in with I hate undead pack mod. Ill give you a heads up on how it goes!

Mom, is that you?

---

Ok, seriously now: if you take an Undead Redeemer into your party the whole game will be a piece of cake. I did a full IWDEE run using the I Hate Undead Kitpack (all except the monk, wizard and the bard classes) and it was really, really, really easy (playing a no-rest-in-dungeons Insane run).

The Mercenary will struggle in IWDEE for the same reason the Undead Redeemer will be awesome: lots of undead, which means lots of enemies immune to Dirty Fight.

With Unfailing Endurance the Militia Officer can be used to its full potential in IWDEE - basically, it will be able to sweep anything that the Redeemer won't explode with Turn Undead or protect the party when tons of enemies start to pop up.

I'm looking forward for your feedback and hope you enjoy it as much as I did when I played it.

Cheers! :)
    booinyoureyes
  • randomencounterrandomencounter Member Posts: 10
    Perfect timing, I was looking for a kit for Khalid (I usually make him a multiclass as fighters are a bit dull). Definitely giving this a try.
    Raduziel
    @randomencounter I did this kit exactly because of that: no other seems to fit.

Hope you enjoy it :)
    randomencounter
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited January 2018
    Character portrait

AerakarRaduzielGrammarsaladAedan
  • randomencounterrandomencounter Member Posts: 10
    Early in a playthrough of BG:EE (it makes Khalid way more useful), found two minor bugs so far:
    • Typo - Second wind description says 'Whit' instead of 'With'
    • Repeating Effects - Second Wind and Inspire in particular, visual effect replays such as when entering/leaving a tavern or loading a save.
    Raduziel
    edited January 2018

Early in a playthrough of BG:EE (it makes Khalid way more useful), found two minor bugs so far:

• Typo - Second wind description says 'Whit' instead of 'With'
    • Repeating Effects - Second Wind and Inspire in particular, visual effect replays such as when entering/leaving a tavern or loading a save.
    Thanks for the report. Fixed it. Running some tests now.
    edited July 2018
    @randomencounter

Ok, fixed it the best way I could. These animations had their timer set as permanent, changed it for a duration.

The thing is: if you save during the animation play it will keep repeating. That's something of the engine that's beyond me.

The animation time is now reduced to 2 seconds. Just wait a bit and everything will be fine. :)

Version 1.1 up, fixing the issues reported.
    randomencounter
    Just a notice: Khalid wearing the Battle Tankard is a beast with this kit.
    Version 1.3 is up including custom icons for the kit's abilities.
    edited February 2018
    Version 1.4 is up with the French translation kindly provided by @Gwendolyne :)
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    I keep thinking, it seems like the Cover ability would make the BG a little more susceptible to being hit, and give a slight AC penalty to themselves, what with jumping in front of incoming missile and melee attacks.
    Loldrup
    Zaghoul said:

I keep thinking, it seems like the Cover ability would make the BG a little more susceptible to being hit, and give a slight AC penalty to themselves, what with jumping in front of incoming missile and melee attacks.

I like it. Will sketch something and let you know.
    Version 1.5 is up with a fix for the French translation.
  • LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
    Overpowered, and no serious (or interesting) drawbacks.
    Loldrup said:

Overpowered, and no serious (or interesting) drawbacks.

@Loldrup thanks for the feedback.

If you rest-abuse, sure, the drawback is not that serious. Really few drawbacks are to be honest. The limitation over missile weapons can be hurtful in BG1 and IWD, for what I tested.

I'm open to suggestions that go beyond a one-line analysis - especially coming from those players that played with the kit.

Feel free to share any deeper insights.
    suggestions:
    sacrifice: during the duration of this ability, any damage dealt to other party members within 5feet will be given to the bodyguard instead.
    sacrifice2: during the duration of this ability, any death of a party members within 5feet will be absorbed by the bodyguard. he will go to 0HP and go unconscious
    sacrifice3: during the duration of this ability, any bad effects occuring to other party members within 5feet will be given to the bodyguard instead.
    bodyguards start out with 3 pips in spears (just because, then there is at least some chance that the player will choose to use spears. A weapon that otherwise is used very rarely in BG)

drawbacks:
    bodyguards cannot start out their adventuring campaign with more than 17 in strength.
    bodyguards cannot go beyond 2 pips in blunt and ranged weapons.
    Loldrup said:

suggestions:
    sacrifice: during the duration of this ability, any damage dealt to other party members within 5feet will be given to the bodyguard instead.
    sacrifice2: during the duration of this ability, any death of a party members within 5feet will be absorbed by the bodyguard. he will go to 0HP and go unconscious
    sacrifice3: during the duration of this ability, any bad effects occuring to other party members within 5feet will be given to the bodyguard instead.

Interesting and indeed fits the kit concept very well, but I don't think that the engine allows this kind of thing. At least I have no idea of how this would work. Maybe some of the big guys, like @kjeron and @subtledoctor can make this kind of trick. I know I can't.
    Loldrup said:

bodyguards start out with 3 pips in spears (just because, then there is at least some chance that the player will choose to use spears. A weapon that otherwise is used very rarely in BG)

A little too random to my taste. And let'snot forget that there is a nice spear in BG1 and a very nice spear in BG2. Giving three pips into any weapon seems a little unbalanced.
    Loldrup said:

bodyguards cannot start out their adventuring campaign with more than 17 in strength.
    bodyguards cannot go beyond 2 pips in blunt and ranged weapons.

Again, I think it is too random. And IDK how to implement the 17 STR thing. I know how to make a kit start with a stat penalty, but if I implement it a half-orc would be able to start with 18/xx STR and a halfling would only be able to get 16 STR.

Why not two pips for blunt weapons?

The restriction to ranged weapons is something I'm using already.

How about: as the bodyguard has focused his training on defending others, not himself, he has a permanent -1 to his armor class.
    About relevancy: I have difficulty seeing how the special abilities that you have chosen for the bodyguard (including one that gives +10 AC, which is wild) are especially appropriate for bodyguards, relative to how appropriate they might be for other fighter types. They don't give much association to anything specific bodyguard-ish, if you get what I mean. The only exception is the COVER ability, which makes sense (though I think it should incur an AC penalty on the bodyguard).
    edited July 2018
    @Loldrup You're absolutely right, they are not appropriate for Bodyguard because dumb-me mixed up two kits that I was working simultaneously...

Long story short, this was supposed to be the Militia Officer. I fixed it. Thanks for your feedback.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Sure, they're just a series of 1s and 0s, but dang it, video game characters are people too! :p

The Militia Officer covers an ally giving it a +3 bonus to Armor Class.

Should probably be:

The Militia Officer covers an ally giving them a +3 bonus to Armor Class.

The Militia Officer gathers strength and charges an enemy. This ability doubles the Officer's movement rate and increases its attack per round by 0.5. When this ability effect ends PRO_HESHE will be fatigued.

Should be:

The Militia Officer gathers strength and charges an enemy. This ability doubles the Officer's movement rate and increases their attack per round by 0.5. When this ability effect ends PRO_HESHE will be fatigued.

The Militia Officer inspires an ally giving it a +3 bonus to damage, hit and saving throws. Besides those benefits, the target becomes immune to non-magical moral breaks for the duration of the effects.

To

The Militia Officer inspires an ally giving them a +3 bonus to damage, hit and saving throws. Besides those benefits, the target becomes immune to non-magical moral breaks for the duration of the effects.

The Bodyguard protects a position at any cost. This ability gives the Militia Officer a +5 bonus to Armor Class and saving throws. While this ability is in effect the Militia Officer cannot move and after the duration PRO_HESHE will be fatigued.

To

The Militia Officer protects a position at any cost. This ability gives the Militia Officer a +5 bonus to Armor Class and saving throws. While this ability is in effect the Militia Officer cannot move and after the duration PRO_HESHE will be fatigued.
    RaduzielLoldrup
    edited July 2018
    @Grammarsalad

Me are gretefuw.

Actually shouldn't

The Militia Officer gathers strength and charges an enemy. This ability doubles the Officer's movement rate and increases their attack per round by 0.5. When this ability effect ends PRO_HESHE will be fatigued.

Be

The Militia Officer gathers strength and charges an enemy. This ability doubles the Officer's movement rate and increases PRO_HISHER attack per round by 0.5. When this ability effect ends PRO_HESHE will be fatigued.

As its the Officer's APR that is raised.
    Grammarsalad
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Raduziel said:

@Grammarsalad

Me are gretefuw.

Actually shouldn't

Be

As its the Officer's APR that is raised.
    Yup, that is better!
    Raduziel
  • InKalInKal Member Posts: 196
    BG1EE 2.3

Khalid is Militia Officer allright. All innates are there and working fine 100% but there is no icon/bam. at all.
    edited July 2018
    @InKal My bad, I forgot to alter the BAM references inside the spells.

Fixed, just download again from Github and reinstall it.

Sorry about that.

EDIT: Or you can alter it yourself. All the spells have a casting icon of RABDXX, just change it to RAMOXX using NearInfinity. That should save you the trouble of reinstalling.
    Version 1.7 is up and it contains:

* Integration with Project Infinity
  • Snatch_a_kissSnatch_a_kiss Member Posts: 33
    @Raduziel Hi!
    Stumbled on small problem. It's in BG EE and IWD EE too. After leveling up, icons missing innate abilities. I know it can be fixed with NearInfinity, I did it. But every time fix when install a new game-not very convenient.
    Raduziel
    @Raduziel Hi!
    Stumbled on small problem. It's in BG EE and IWD EE too. After leveling up, icons missing innate abilities. I know it can be fixed with NearInfinity, I did it. But every time fix when install a new game-not very convenient.

I'll look into it, thanks!
    @Snatch_a_kiss This kit will be packed inside a kitpack (The Regulars) with the Mercenary, the Charlatan, and two other kits I'll develop yet. I'll fix it for now, but future updates will be inside the kitpack.

Cheers!