Skip to content

Thieving in stores has practically disappeared?

What's up with stealing from stores?

Why is it gone?

What were the devs thinking? :s

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    What do you mean?
  • CloutierCloutier Member Posts: 228
    I mean that I can't steal from stores anymore - the thieving button doesn't show up in any store.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    There have always been certain stores that can't be stolen from (Thunderhammer for one) but if the thieveing button has disappeared from EVERY store, that is certainly a bug.
  • bretbret Member Posts: 24
    Pretty sure that BG1 never had very many stores you could shoplift from. I don't think that changed in EE (but I haven't played vanilla in a long time.) There are more opportunities in BG2.

FWIW, the only store I ever bother to shoplift from in my BG1 playthroughs is the Nashkel store. It has a low difficulty threshold and you can obtain a Potion of Mastery Thievery nearby. If I have a bard in the group, I will sell expensive loot (e.g. Ring of Wizardry, Anghkeg Plate) to the shopkeeper and then steal them right back. A nice source of gold in the early part of the game.
    StummvonBordwehrThacoBellDharius
  • CloutierCloutier Member Posts: 228
    edited April 2018
    So it's a bug then?
    There is no thieving button at the Nashkell store, and in none of the stores in Baldur's Gate I used to steal from.
    EDIT: I'm a BG veteran, I do know which stores to steal from.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    I'm seeing a STEAL button in the Nashkel Store in v2.3. Are you talking to the storekeep with a Thief or Bard?
    bretQuartz
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    I usually play a bard and use her as my face character so I never noticed.
  • JLEJLE Member Posts: 58
    Well. I can't steal with Imoen. Do I have to have Pickpocketing above a certain level before the option becomes available?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @JLE Please upload screenshots of what you see when you are in the store with Imoen.
    ...Oh, you've changed the interface. I see. There's now a steal button in between "buy" and "sell", rather than it being a different interface.

But, on a separate note, why have so many shops changed, including the "general store" type of shop, to buy fewer types of item?
    I don't think they have. I think you're just misremembering what stores bought what.
    ThacoBell
    I don't think they have. I think you're just misremembering what stores bought what.
    Also, this: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1030645/#Comment_1030645
    Also, this: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1030645/#Comment_1030645
    Unless I'm misunderstanding that seems to be a matter of what stores sell what. That has undergone some changes.

What stores buy what is the same though, as far as I know. You, the player, can sell all the same things to all the same merchants.
    JuliusBorisov
    Oh, yes.

I just mentioned there were changes to shops because @JLE asked about them in general.

JLE said:
    But, on a separate note, why have so many shops changed, including ...?
    @JLE if you think a certain shop doesn't let you sell something you should be able to, please report at support.baldursgate.com so that our team could triage.
    Chronicler
    Hm. I'm wondering now if my memory of being able to sell stuff in general, and wands in particular, to a lot more places was actually the result of a mod. I have a fair amount of "BG Tweak Pack" installed, apparently including a component called "Sellable Items", on a BG TuTu installation that dates back to before I got the Enhanced Edition... this might explain it.

(I haven't yet worked out how to install mods, which are pretty much mostly run through the WeiDU utility, on the Steam versions of BG:EE and BG2:EE.)

Anyway, I now found ONE stealable shop that buys wands: the unnamed store on the S side of the SW corner of Baldur's Gate city itself :-)

On the above thread, viz. the Nashkel store and its Large Shield +1 - I would suggest that the shield should be restored to that store, but ONLY ONE such shield, not a stack of five.